The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 08:14 AM

Question Which Guitar For Gypsy Jazz?

I know neither one of these are a Django Reinhardt style guitar but I'm going to throw D'Addario Gypsy Jazz Acoustic Guitar Strings EJ83M strings on one of them to mess around with that style of playing and try to learn some of his techniques which of these two would you put them on?

I'm leaning towards the Ibanez because it is more of a personal size as opposed to the Seagull dreadnought but not sure which yet.

Ibanez AC240E-OPN
(all mahogany)

Seagull Entourage Black CW GT QI
(cedar top cherry back & sides)
Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Takamine G Series EG522C Classical
Morris A4 Mandolin
Morgan Monroe MMS-5 Mandolin
Dean EABC Acoustic Electric Bass
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM

Is the Seagull the old short scale or newer longer scale? Go with the longer scale guitar if you have it. Short scale SelMac guitars are what most folks think of as long scale...and long scale is 26.5"!

The gypsy jazz strings are very light...use the .011 gauge if you can on either of these-- the .010s won't sound like much.

Just a word of warning, I have used gypsy strings on non-gypsy guitars, and they didn't stay on for long. Sounded terrible.

Alternatively, just use the strings you have and start practicing the technique. If you get a chance to play an actual "gypsy jazz" guitar you'll see that yes, the strings are part of the sound, but the guitar itself and the technique are just as big of a part of it.

Another option that could work is a Monel type string. A drier, more "fundamental" sound. A lot of folks think gypsy jazz strings are more like silk and steel, but I think those are waaaay too mellow and don't have enough tension. And they go dead very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Is the Seagull the old short scale or newer longer scale? Go with the longer scale guitar if you have it. Short scale SelMac guitars are what most folks think of as long scale...and long scale is 26.5"!

The gypsy jazz strings are very light...use the .011 gauge if you can on either of these-- the .010s won't sound like much.

Just a word of warning, I have used gypsy strings on non-gypsy guitars, and they didn't stay on for long. Sounded terrible.

Alternatively, just use the strings you have and start practicing the technique. If you get a chance to play an actual "gypsy jazz" guitar you'll see that yes, the strings are part of the sound, but the guitar itself and the technique are just as big of a part of it.

Another option that could work is a Monel type string. A drier, more "fundamental" sound. A lot of folks think gypsy jazz strings are more like silk and steel, but I think those are waaaay too mellow and don't have enough tension. And they go dead very quickly.
Not sure of the scale. I'm not with the guitar currently so I can't check.

Yes, I am going with the 11s and I kind of expected the sound might not be there with these guitar choices.

I first thought silk and steel but you're right. They are not what you want. I have have a drawer full of different string types I could choose from including aluminum strings but I think I'll give these a try.

Probably going with the Seagull.
Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 09-28-2022, 08:35 AM

I'd suggest a cutaway for gypsy jazz.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
Not sure of the scale. I'm not with the guitar currently so I can't check.

Yes, I am going with the 11s and I kind of expected the sound might not be there with these guitar choices.

I first thought silk and steel but you're right. They are not what you want. I have have a drawer full of different string types I could choose from including aluminum strings but I think I'll give these a try.

Probably going with the Seagull.

I should also say, I do think one of the biggest names in Django's Music today, Stochelo Rosenberg, IS using silk and steels, but of course, on an actual Selmer style guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

^^^^^ This is spot on. I would go for monel or pure nickel 12-54s on the Seagull. Or just look for a gypsy jazz guitar. I'm sure that there will be some available for around the price you are looking at - second hand, you could get a bargain as many folks will have bought them and just not got on with the style of playing (mainly because gypsy jazz is a band activity rather than a solo guitar activity).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
...I'm leaning towards the Ibanez because it is more of a personal size as opposed to the Seagull dreadnought but not sure which yet.

Ibanez AC240E-OPN

Try the Ibanez with a set of monel 11's or, if you can find one, an all-acoustic Godin 5th Avenue with either 11's or 12's - when I got mine it came from the factory with light-gauge strings, and while it wasn't good for much else in that configuration it would have made an excellent (and cheap) Gypsy-style guitar as it had that "dry," stringy sound..
Old 09-28-2022, 11:00 AM

Selmer-type guitars have a strong top-end & midrange & not much bass, so whatever is closest to that - also, the Argentine strings are 11 - 46, so you could try similar gauges?
Old 09-29-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Try the Ibanez with a set of monel 11's or, if you can find one, an all-acoustic Godin 5th Avenue with either 11's or 12's - when I got mine it came from the factory with light-gauge strings, and while it wasn't good for much else in that configuration it would have made an excellent (and cheap) Gypsy-style guitar as it had that "dry," stringy sound..
I've been wanting a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin for a while now. Soon hopefully.
Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 09-29-2022, 04:41 AM

Love the looks of the Ibanez guitar for playing Gypsy Jazz. Fourteen fret with electronics. No cut-a-way needed there. All mahogany is the ticket!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:19 AM

I don't know anything about GJ, but I thought I remembered that Eastman makes a GJ guitar.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:35 PM

Just an FYI update. I put D'Addario Gypsy Jazz EJ83M strings on the Seagull and it's like the missing piece to that guitar. I will keep using those strings on it regardless of the musical playing style. It really opened up the available sonic palette of my acoustic instruments.

(cedar top, cherry back & sides)
Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 10-22-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I've been wanting a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin for a while now. Soon hopefully.
No time like the present: FYI the blonde all-acoustic version is kinda rare (BTW I've got the CW II 2-PU electric to match), and this one's for sale on Reverb right now - so if you've go the bucks, he's got your guitar :

https://reverb.com/item/59296925-god...nue-2010-blond
Old 10-23-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
No time like the present: FYI the blonde all-acoustic version is kinda rare (BTW I've got the CW II 2-PU electric to match), and this one's for sale on Reverb right now - so if you've go the bucks, he's got your guitar :

https://reverb.com/item/59296925-god...nue-2010-blond
Thanks but I were going to buy one it would be one like this. Gorgeous guitars!

Martin GPCPA4
Martin Sigma DR-2
Morris A4 Mandolin
Marshall AS50D Amp
Old 10-23-2022, 10:21 AM

Limited to those two choices you are really in the realm of "you can play anything on anything". I would pick the non-dread, and without gypsy jazz strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion