The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 10:26 AM

Default Visiting Taylor Guitars - Andy Powers

So after nearly 20 years in the guitar business, I'm finally making the pilgrimage out to Taylor Guitars at the end of this week. I'm lucky enough to have some time set up to spend with Andy Powers, and my mind is spinning with things to ask..!

If you had some time to spend with Andy, what would you ask him?
YouTube
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 AM
AGF Administrator

How is he balancing taking over the roles of Kurt and Bob, along with remaining their master guitar designer?
Old 09-26-2022, 10:55 AM

Why did he think Taylor was too hip to offer dreadnoughts any longer?
Old 09-26-2022, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
This. I'd also ask why they don't offer more straight acoustics without pickups?
Old 09-26-2022, 11:39 AM

Hmmm, cool opportunity!

Were it me, I would ask him, with complete deference and respect, does he feel marketing language --aka, ad copy-- of the past, say 5-8 years is helping the company's credibility and reputation or perhaps too "hyped" and thus hurting them? You may add that this comes from an owner and fan of the marque for coming on two decades.

Edward
Old 09-26-2022, 11:40 AM

Why Taylor won't have X bracing anymore, whether it's due to lack of resources, or just wanting to not let consumers have options (like Apple forcing no headphone jacks, no USB-C, no SIM cards, etc.), like if offering X bracing together with V Class would result in more people preferring X bracing and thus diminish V Class? It'd be great if you could provide feedback on behalf of me (and maybe some other people) who were Taylor fans before V Class but now can't find any new Taylors that are X braced and have to resort to the second hand market where guitars aren't in mint condition. Never played a V Class next to an X-braced Taylor and preferred the V Class' thinner and brighter tone, unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:50 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Bob actually addressed this in a Taylor podcast a few months ago. He sees the dreadnought as a copied design and doesn't want to make them anymore, saying the GP is essentially their dreadnought replacement. I can't imagine that sentiment changing under Andy.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:52 AM

I doubt he would have much to say on the subject, but ask him about his early years at Taylor when there was routing of the top edges, changes in maple stains, etc. To me, those seemed like more traditional, positive changes before V bracing supposedly changed the world.

Without knowing hardly anything about him except his hype, I'd guess he's a corporate kind of guy who'll never step outside the lines.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Bob actually addressed this in a Taylor podcast a few months ago. He sees the dreadnought as a copied design and doesn't want to make them anymore, saying the GP is essentially their dreadnought replacement. I can't imagine that sentiment changing under Andy.

Well the GP is just a copy of a slope shoulder dread so what’s the difference?
Old 09-26-2022, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Given the major presence of Taylor guitars in so many forms of acoustic music and successful innovations that include the T5 line, 8 string baritones, etc., has he given any thought to introducing a line(s) of mandolins? Perhaps even flat top Celtic style instruments to gain even more presence in World and Americana music.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

He probably would have thought of a way to give a different response if Taylor’s dreadnoughts were big sellers though, like saying something like how they want to keep the traditional side for those who like that. Otherwise why are so many 100 series dreadnought shaped if he doesn’t want to copy the dreadnought? Because the 100 series dreadnought sells well.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chulka View Post
So after nearly 20 years in the guitar business, I'm finally making the pilgrimage out to Taylor Guitars at the end of this week. I'm lucky enough to have some time set up to spend with Andy Powers, and my mind is spinning with things to ask..!

If you had some time to spend with Andy, what would you ask him?
I would ask him what time he had and where the coffee machine was and that's about it. I wouldn't bother the guy with nonsense questions about why decisions were made to do this and that and when they were going to do this or that. My ego just isn't that big that I think I could make an impression positive enough to change corporate direction

I'm smart enough to know that if I don't see what I want I can go somewhere else to get it too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-26-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

1) Are there any new, great tonewood(s) on the horizon that most of us have not yet heard of?
2) Do bridge pins affect tone? (Kinda kidding on #2, but maybe not)
Enjoy the visit Matt, sounds like a nice opportunity.

Last edited by gmel555; 09-26-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I know Andy has built arch tops. I've always wondered if Taylor would release an affordable (3k or so) arch top for the masses.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:45 PM

I don't have any questions for that guy. I would simply tell him to stop making guitars that are so susceptible to minute temperature and humidity changes. I've owned three Taylors, and they either dried out and cracked, or they swelled up and got high action. I would tell Powers this, say, "You're welcome for my time," and walk out of the room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion