The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2022, 10:53 AM

I agree with the idea that it is somewhat genre-centric. Roots music (bluegrass, country, old-timey, etc, etc) seems to be attractive to all ages. Blues for the older crowds. Jazz, too. I imagine I'd look pretty ridiculous in an emo band, or raging in a punk band. Pretty sure I can't pull off R&B either.

I'm 68 years old, playing guitar, bass, piano and lead/harmony vocals since the 60's. Played in many bands, trio, duos, and solo. Been with the current band since 2010. Band leader is 82 years old, lead guitar is 79, drummer 71, piano 53. We have played every other weekend (except when COVID shut us down) since I joined. We have a residency in a nearby social club every other week. (We had the same arrangement at other clubs over the years, sometimes simultaneously on alternating weekends). Here's the bottom line. They'll tell us to stay home when we stop attracting 75-100 cover-paying, dinner-eating, dancing and partying fans. Young or old, paid performers have to earn their pay (which means filling seats and dance floor). I've only experienced ageism on the internet (as in CL ads and such). We are fortunate to have found a niche that works for us ... classic country (and some old pop), played by old folks for old folks. I'm still amazed, but know it can't last ... either we or our audience is gonna eventually disappear!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:09 AM

Back in the late 70s, I saw Leon Redbone on an English TV show called The Old Grey Whistle Test playing a slow blues on an acoustic. I was 17 years old and thought he was fantastic. He had a hat on and shades and looked about 90 years old (though he was probably quite young!).

I think I would have been less keen to see him play Highway Star!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM

This topic got me thinking about genre longevity. We're living in the 2020's. Music from the 1960's, 70's and 80's is now 60, 50 and 40 years old.

Back in the 70's how many band specializing in the music from the 1910's, 20's and 30's were regularly gigging at clubs and restaurants? Sure we still had Lawrence Welk on TV. But John Denver, Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash had their own prime time shows as well.

We old fart boomers still hold inordinate sway over entertainment that previous old fart generations never enjoyed. There are many reasons contributing to this including huge changes in the music and entertainment industries, technology, improving (up until recently) lifespans and quality of life, etc.

But ageism? Yes I'm sure it happens, but IMO there's never been a better time to be an old fart!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I know I wouldn’t have gone out to see performers doing Sinatra era stuff when I was in my twenties or thirties. Anyone else?
I've loved big band and classical music since I was a kid and yes, I went to see acts like this when I was that age.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-23-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Back in the late 70s, I saw Leon Redbone on an English TV show called The Old Grey Whistle Test playing a slow blues on an acoustic. I was 17 years old and thought he was fantastic. He had a hat on and shades and looked about 90 years old (though he was probably quite young!).

I think I would have been less keen to see him play Highway Star!
I don't know, Highway Star from Leon would have been pretty cool too. BTW, that OGWT show was 1977 and Leon was all of 28!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I don't know, Highway Star from Leon would have been pretty cool too. BTW, that OGWT show was 1977 and Leon was all of 28!
That's fascinating!

To a 17-year-old a 28-year-old Leon Redbone might have looked like an old guy, who knows. I remember when I started my first engineering job at age 22, my supervisor was in his mid-30s, and I remember thinking he looked way older than everyone else in the group.

It's funny to me -- when I look at old family photos these days, I look at my wife in her mid-30s and think she looked absolutely gorgeous. And I really think she was. But it's also funny how our perspective tends to change with age.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
To a 17-year-old a 28-year-old Leon Redbone might have looked like an old guy, who knows.
It was also part of Redbones 'shtick,' I think, to present himself as much older than he really was. Tom Waits did a similar thing in the late 70s, dressing himself up as an old geezer on a smoky-dive piano.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I've not necessarily experienced age discrimination in my music, but I'm a busker and not doing paid gigs much anymore. But I'm feeling it. I have no stamina anymore. I'm good with it though, I don't need to stand on a corner for three hours anymore. I sometimes pick up a three hour slot at the farmer market and I got a fellow who will split it with me, an hour and a half each. That's plenty enough for me to get my fix.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-23-2022, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-23-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It's funny to me -- when I look at old family photos these days, I look at my wife in her mid-30s and think she looked absolutely gorgeous. And I really think she was. But it's also funny how our perspective tends to change with age.

- Glenn
"Was"?! "Perspective tends to change"?! Oh boy Glenn....don't let her see that post!
Old 09-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Was"?! "Perspective tends to change"?! Oh boy Glenn....don't let her see that post!
Yup. That one may have to be filed under ‘things that could have been better said’
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-23-2022, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Gene, so sorry this happened to you! I know you really enjoyed your Sunday a.m. café gigs (assuming this was the one) as sort of a mainstay of your week.

Hope another might surface that takes its place.

Best,
Fred
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the kind words and yes, it was that cafe gig. It is a really complex thing (and it shouldn't be, at least as it concerns me; more on that below) and I know full well there are a bunch of other factors in play, not the least of which is the lady who owns and runs the business has been about as stressed as a small business owner can be in these never-ending days and months and years of covid. Start with hiring and then keeping good, dependable help. More than once she has had a cook hired right out from under her with a better offer from another local establishment. Although she is an occasionally stern task-master she is always fair and what she expects of her help is clearly defined. That is why her business has been successful over the 15 or so years she's been in business and the place is well-loved by the locals....in the off season anyway! In other words, she runs a tight ship but is good to her help and 'gives back" to the community in ways that very few people know, with no fanfare or expectation of recognition.

I also know she also has some family issues that she can't avoid and I'm certain that has contributed to the stress level.

There have been some great observations, suggestions and general comments in this thread and I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. I'll try to respond to some of them and hopefully it will make sense.

That will be in my next reply to this thread.

BTW, Fred. I would love to get together with you sometime for some playing. I always appreciate your comments and observations over the many years we've been members of this forum. Drop me a PM if you'd like to do that sometime. I know your neck of the woods quite well....almost ended up living there when my wife was offered a teaching job in Newport about a million years ago, ha!
Old 09-23-2022, 01:07 PM

I was still able to land solo acoustic gigs prior to covid at age 74. That ended with covid.

With the rebirth of our wonderful Open Mic in Half Moon Bay, CA, I've lost interest in performing out professionally.

Happy to say that I don't need the money and once a week playing tunes with my good friends at a wonderful venue is all the public performing I want anymore.

For those adversely affected by ageism, I certainly can understand a venue wanting young performers doing the hits of today. Time moves on...
Old 09-23-2022, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, sorry -- that comment was not about my wife. It was about who we think looks old at different times of our own lives. I thought my parents looked old when my wife and I got married but they were only 48 years old. When I look at those photos now, my parents don't look old at all.

Regarding my wife, she is still very much an attractive woman.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry -- that comment was not about my wife. It was about who we think looks old at different times of our own lives. I thought my parents looked old when my wife and I got married but they were only 48 years old. When I look at those photos now, my parents don't look old at all.

Regarding my wife, she is still very much an attractive woman.

- Glenn
Nice save buddy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion