The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-29-2022, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

I just finished Bob Taylor's "Guitar Lessons," about the man who started and still owns the Taylor Guitar company.

Good read, a "just the facts" sort of narrative. He still likes to say that he is just a guy who builds guitars, even though he now employs hundreds of people.
2013 Custom Taylor 516
Old 09-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

I listen to audiobooks on my iPhone while driving, working on projects, welding art, etc. But at age 67, I also take a few minutes to read every night, just to keep that part of my aging brain active. Still, my book intake is easily 95% audio because I'm super busy and I get antsy/distracted when I try to sit still and read while the sun is up. Listening for 7-8 years now, I'm probably 500-600 books ahead of my slow "manual" reading pace by keeping audiobooks going in the background for a few hours every day. YMMV (my sister is a prolific reader, not a listener).

I just recommended the audiobook Red (Sammy Hagar) for my public library to acquire (they already have the ebook). It's quick, easy and free using the Overdrive iPhone app (or similar like Libby).

While I was looking for that, I stumbled over two more documentaries that went into my queue:

I Killed Pink Floyd's Pig - Inside Stories of Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll

and

Disgraceland (more scandal, I would assume)

The music industry has some dirty, filthy, not-so-secret ghosts rattling around in the closet, especially in the naive early days of the rock/pop explosion. As a player and a fan, I find it all scandalous and fascinating to read about.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-30-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I like the real historical stuff. I just reread "Linthead Stomp" and bought a copy for a friend. Check it out. I don't get into gossipy promotional drama of artists.
Fraulini Angelina #78 12 fret, ladder braced with K & K mini
Martin CS 000-18 12 fret GE with K & K mini
Martin D-18VS with K & K mini

Just another guitar playing hack
Old 09-29-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I just recommended the audiobook Red (Sammy Hagar) for my public library to acquire (they already have the ebook). Quick, easy and free using the Overdrive iPhone app (or similar like Libby).
Just remember that when you use the Public Library to access e-Books your borrowing record is NOT private as is normally the case with Library items. That's a deal between your library and the huge eBook corporations (and the authorities who can now therefore easily get your records). Sad but true.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:10 AM

Road Mangler Deluxe by Phil Kaufman
"From the mid 1960's to the present day Phil Kaufman has been many things: a road manager for the likes of The Rolling Stones, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Marianne Faithful, Frank Zappa, Etta James, Joe Cocker, The Byrds, Rosanne Cash, The Everly Brothers, Elizabeth Ashley, The Divinyls and many others. He's also been a bar owner, The Demonstration Fleet Manager for Harley Davidson UK, a failed drug smuggler, the guy who stole and burned Gram Parsons' body in Joshua Tree national park....."
Long ago the group I was in played a benefit for Kaufman to help with his legal fees associated with his stealing of Gram Parsons' body. Kaufman hooked up Brian Ray, our guitar player, with Etta James, who he gigged with for about 10 years. The next time I saw Brian was during the Super Bowl half-time playing with Paul McCartney. Brian later told me about this book because I'm in one of the pictures in the book, so of course I had to buy it. Crazy, funny read!
2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
2018 Gibson Songwriter Rosewood Burst Ltd. Ed. 12-string
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic