The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Impressive playing, guitar and video.
Thanks for sharing with us.
You do your new Bown justice.
Well done.
Thanks for watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Spectacular....!!!
Thanks Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
The polar opposite of most build threads around here, i.e. at its conclusion we get a very full and expansive demo of the guitar in question, played with great skill and finesse, and in a wide range of styles. Bravo and kudos to you.

Bravo also for achieving such a great sound with a solitary Apogee MiC: Proof positive that's 99% is in the fingers...and the guitar of course!

I know YouTube is deceptive etc. but if it's anything as good in "real life" then it's one of the very best I've heard from Ralph.

I know Ralph shies away from advertising his guitars: He'll want you to take that video down immediately, 'cos it's one of the best adverts for his craft that I've heard!

Will you sell it to me (and give me lessons)?!

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve - of course it's better in real life! Incredibly responsive, which, as with any high-end guitar, means lots of note dampening for certain pieces, especially Bach. It is very similar to Clive Carroll's new guitar in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Fantastic demo. Really lets you see what the guitar is capable of in good hands. I think you've set the bar for build thread demos.
Thanks, I thought a guitar of this calibre deserves it and it will also be useful for Ralph and his online presence.

Jonny
Old 08-31-2021, 07:47 AM

Fantastic playing on a great guitar. Not a hint of boxiness from such a small body. Impressive! Not to derail, but are there any information available on Clive Carrols new guitar?
Old 08-31-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Fantastic playing on a great guitar. Not a hint of boxiness from such a small body. Impressive! Not to derail, but are there any information available on Clive Carrols new guitar?
I know that the top is torrefied. Mine was made alongside his, both slot-headed with a torch motif.

Jonny
Old 09-06-2022, 05:19 PM

It's been just over a year since my 00 by Ralph was completed and I haven't picked up my Sobell in that time (ok, maybe a few times, it is, after all, an awesome beast). The 00 has been played a lot, at least a few hours a day.

Tonally it is becoming fuller with an incredible depth to both the bass and trebles with a shimmery quality.

I have played all my repertoire on it, classical as well as fingerstyle.

Here's a piece I recorded recently which only represents about 5% of the experience and joy of playing it.

Cheers
Jonny
Old 09-08-2022, 09:39 AM

Jonnymosco, great skills and tone as usual, but may I say that this Bown may just be your best steel string sound yet? Incredible sounding guitar! I had a bown om some years ago that was a more traditional Martin sound but this one is another beast altogether as it sounds like your Christopher Dean classical's steel string older brother...
Old 09-09-2022, 02:43 AM

Yeah, I'm loving the sound of that. You can't beatness the sweetness...fantastic playing as always Jonny!
Old 09-09-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Jonnymosco, great skills and tone as usual, but may I say that this Bown may just be your best steel string sound yet? Incredible sounding guitar! I had a bown om some years ago that was a more traditional Martin sound but this one is another beast altogether as it sounds like your Christopher Dean classical's steel string older brother...
Thanks. You have hit the nail on the head, I agree; Ralph wanted to build me a guitar that would enable my classical repertoire - his current guitars are outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
Yeah, I'm loving the sound of that. You can't beatness the sweetness...fantastic playing as always Jonny!
Cheers Dennis, you are right, you can't!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop