The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 04:45 PM

Default How do you check the headroom of a guitar?

I noticed that I can strum very hard on some of my guitars and not bottom out in the sound (by "bottom out" I don't mean fret buzz, I mean the sound just doesn't get louder but has some distortion). Is this because I'm running into the guitar's headroom limitation? (Just also what to know if I'm using the term "headroom" correctly.)

How should I check it?
Do you know of any videos that compares guitars' headrooms?
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:45 PM

Would you say is what I’ve always thought it was.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:51 PM

I don't think you can measure it, but you're on the right track.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:59 AM

I play as loud as my loud playing. If it doesn't distort it has plenty of headroom for me. I personally don't keep increasing the volume to see what the actual headroom might be.

But I have a K&K in each guitar and have no interest in beating on them. Some people play a more physical style of music, and some even like a little distortion on the top.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-27-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

To me the headroom ceiling is when while under hard attack the notes start losing definition and the guitars seem to get quitter the harder you drive it or pick it. Guitars that have allot of head room just keep getting louder and better sounding. Don't equate it with better though. There are other aspects about guitars that make the +/- of head room a good thing or not.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-27-2022, 08:18 AM

Daft remark deleted!

Last edited by ewalling; 11-27-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:35 AM

It's a guitar not a jack hammer. Treat it as an instrument.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-27-2022, 08:40 AM

How to check headroom?
Just stand up and if the headstock hits the ceiling you haven"t got enough
Old 11-27-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
How to check headroom?
Just stand up and if the headstock hits the ceiling you haven"t got enough

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-27-2022, 09:46 AM

pinball wizzard
Old 11-27-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Headroom in guitar playing is like other things such as responsiveness or balance - your particular playing style affects it. The most useful way to compare headroom for you is to play a bunch of guitars and let your hands and ears tell you which ones have the headroom that you need.
I have not run across a video comparing guitars relative to things like headroom, projection or responsiveness. I’m mentioning responsiveness since I am the opposite of you and play with a lighter touch so need a guitar that has the tone and projection that best matches my playing. I just played a large sampling of guitars and didn’t find a fixed set of factors that made a guitar more responsive than another. I suspect the same may be true about headroom though I am happy to hear from any luthiers here who can impart their wisdom and experience on the matter.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-27-2022, 10:20 AM

You're on the right path, hard or aggressive strumming will cause an acoustic to "distort". All the notes begin to squish together and the resulting sound is very mushy and unpleasant. I've also found that the top wood can contribute to the threshold at which the guitar will distort with hard strumming - In my experience the more traditional top woods, Spruce and Mahogany will better tolerate aggressive strumming. The one guitar I got with a Redwood top began distorting with strum efforts that were no where near my heaviest strumming with the Spruce/Mahogany guitars. While it was a nice looking guitar I sold it off as it was way more better suited to finger style playing than strumming.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
You're on the right path, hard or aggressive strumming will cause an acoustic to "distort". All the notes begin to squish together and the resulting sound is very mushy and unpleasant. I've also found that the top wood can contribute to the threshold at which the guitar will distort with hard strumming - In my experience the more traditional top woods, Spruce and Mahogany will better tolerate aggressive strumming. The one guitar I got with a Redwood top began distorting with strum efforts that were no where near my heaviest strumming with the Spruce/Mahogany guitars. While it was a nice looking guitar I sold it off as it was way more better suited to finger style playing than strumming.
I believe this to be accurate.my cedar top distorts with heavy strumming but is really sweet finger picked while my Adirondack top can take a beating before the mush mentioned above. very different guitars.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:31 PM

I knew nothing about headroom when I purchased my Martin D-35 back in 1983. It was the best sounding guitar that I had ever heard or played.

Several years later, I took it to a Bluegrass Jam Session where there were at least 12 other instruments being played.

Something strange started to happen with my D-35. As the music got louder, I started to loose the ability to hear my guitar.
I strummed it harder and it sounded awful.
At the end of the Jam, I went home thinking that the strings were in need of changing.

A few months later, I was talking to a few friends that play guitar and they told me about headroom.
They also told me that if i wanted to keep up with a large Bluegrass Jam, I would need a Martin HD-28.

This got to me and I actually consigned my D-35 thinking that I needed an HD-28.
I played several HD-28 Martin guitars and never heard one that sounded as good as my D-35 did to me.
I retrieved the D-35 from consignment and never looked back.

I now know the limitations of the guitar and just stay within it's limits.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

You need to play a lot of guitars. Some just need less force to reach a certain sound level, some have something left in the tank and can give you more volume before they top out. Only experience can teach you.

Don't confuse this with an ability to cut through a mix, and entirely different issue.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion