The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2022, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Robbins R.1ca - German Spruce - Koa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The guitar is looking wonderful already. Fantastic tonewoods and aesthetic appointments!
Thanks Chuck I'm really pleased with how this guitar is shaping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Beautiful design and choices Doug. Both you and Tyler have come a long way since you let me try that Fiddleback Hog you bought from him at Woodstock. Looking forward to seeing how this continues to inspire.
Thanks Dan. I met Tyler at the 2017 Woodstock show where the cocobolo R.1ca he exhibited was my show favorite in terms of both it's sound and looks, but the timing just wasn't right for me to buy it.

Tyler returned for the 2018 Woodstock show to help out at Sam Guidry's exhibit. I asked Tyler if he had one of his guitars with him. As it turns out he had just received back from the Boutique Guitar Showcase Tour his Fiddleback Tree Mahogany R.1a and it was right under the table in it's Calton case.

I played that one in a quiet room with Cheryl and Tyler, loved it, and bought it on the spot. A deeper dive on that R.1a Engleman - "The Fiddleback Tree" can be found here.

For the last several years, every spec guitar he builds is pre-sold or quickly sells through his dealer network so I feel very fortunate to have this commission with Tyler. This is his first time to build with Koa and I am delighted with the stunning set he is using for this build.

The koa sides are joined together with the arm bevel support shown along with the koa back -

Tyler is building four guitars in this current batch and he did not take a picture of the top or back bracing on this build. So, below I am including 2 pictures of that step from the 2021 Brazilian RW R.1ca he built for me.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-08-2022 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 11-06-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Amazing stuff so far, Doug--you must be stoked!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-09-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Galloup School Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Amazing stuff so far, Doug--you must be stoked!
Thanks Kevin, you bet I am!

Galloup School of Lutherie Visit:

Cheryl and I had a planned family visit in Traverse City, MI so we arranged to fly into Grand Rapids to visit the crew at the Galloup School of Lutherie in Big Rapids about an hour North of there and enroute to Traverse City.

We received a complete tour of the facility including the teaching areas, the main workshop and finishing areas downstairs. One thing that was immediately apparent is how clean all of the areas were kept. Bryan Galloup runs a tight ship and his protoge luthiers follow suit. The CNC area that Tom Dalia oversees was really impressive. In his office he had a camera and monitor setup with various remote based luthiers showing each of their workspaces in real time. It was a nice surprise to chat live with Michael Bashkin for a bit from Tom's work area!

The Galloup School just purchased a new Plek machine which will be used on both new and older guitars. Tyler will use the Plek machine to make the nut for my guitar.

Upstairs is Bryan's office-work area along with a separate large area where the luthiers do their assembly and detail work. Bryan's work area houses his drool-worthy stash of Brazilian Rosewood sets and he showed us a couple of his beautiful recently completed guitars.

Left to right: Tyler Robbins, Benjamin Kahler (Tikatoo Guitars), Bryan Galloup, myself, Cheryl and Tom Dalia.

You may not have heard of Tikatoo Guitars yet but remember that name. Ben is destined to be the next great archtop guitar builder from the Galloup School. Below is a picture of a stellar archtop guitar Ben built. That guitar is currently on the Boutique Guitar Showcase traveling tour:

Of course, I got to see my guitar (now boxed up) and the other 3 guitars that Tyler was working on:

Here's a picture of Tyler installing the binding on the first of the 4 guitars he is currently building. That guitar is his smaller R.2ca model and is headed for Dream Guitars upon completion:

We all went out for a lovely lunch outside overlooking the river that day where we were joined by Tyler's lovely fiance Lauryn. They were married a few weeks later at a ceremony in Zion National Park!

Shortly after our shop visit electric guitar builder and Galloup alumni Will Bezard rejoined the crew at Galloup after working as foreman at Rick Turner's shop. I hope to meet him on our next visit.

Next up on my guitar...binding!

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-09-2022 at 07:06 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-09-2022, 02:49 PM

True functional art.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-11-2022, 07:00 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Love the way this one is coming together Doug! Tyler brings to really cool ideas to the table. Can’t wait to see it finished!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Robbins R.1ca German Spruce - Koa (Body Binding, Bevel & Purfling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
True functional art.
Thanks mr. beaumont...my sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Love the way this one is coming together Doug! Tyler brings really cool ideas to the table. Can’t wait to see it finished!!
Thank you Mike...Tyler and Tom Dalia have shown a lot of patience to execute some of the design elements Cheryl and I suggested for this commission and they exceeded our expectations.

My previous post concluded with a picture of Tyler installing binding on another guitar he is building along with mine. He has now completed the ebony binding and arm bevel on the body of my guitar so let's have a look.

In the Raw -

Close Up Ebony Arm Bevel and Cutaway Binding and Purfling -

Front and Back Images -

Tyler usually designs and installs a modern back strip on his guitars but considering the beautiful figuring on this Koa back we decided to let the wood speak for itself.

Thanks for looking in. Next up we'll have a look at the guitar neck and the special inlay design Tyler came up with for that!
Old 11-12-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Wow, wow, wow Doug...........that thing is going to be incredible. Can't wait to see and play it in person once you receive it. I love Koa, and that set is stunning!

Looking forward to more progress pictures.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 11-12-2022, 10:53 AM

that rosette and headstock inlay looks amazing! Can’t wait to see it with the finish.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Looking great, Doug. So many of the curves are just unique! They add up to a design all that is Tyler's own. This will turn out great!
Old 11-13-2022, 11:57 AM

Just keeps getting better! That cutaway seems to be softer and more Venetian than most Florentines….maybe Ferraran? (Ferrara is between those cities and sounds better than Bologna). Very nice all around. With Cheryl’s handprints on your latest creations, gonna have some ‘splaining to do if GAS causes an urge to flip. Haha, doubt that will be a problem, looks to be a keeper!! Of course, that applies to your whole stable. Looking forward to next installment of this story.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 11-13-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Wow, this is coming out great! Enjoying the thread, loving the design!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:31 AM

You must be pretty excited, now that you can see your ideas coming together, and looking so good.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Robbins R.1ca German Spruce - Koa (Neck Inlays)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post
that rosette and headstock inlay looks amazing! Can’t wait to see it with the finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Looking great, Doug. So many of the curves are just unique! They add up to a design all that is Tyler's own. This will turn out great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
You must be pretty excited, now that you can see your ideas coming together, and looking so good.
Thank you bendandsnap, Diogo and NTS I appreciate your encouraging comments...it has been a fun journey so far with a ways yet to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehorn View Post
Just keeps getting better! That cutaway seems to be softer and more Venetian than most Florentines….maybe Ferraran? (Ferrara is between those cities and sounds better than Bologna). Very nice all around. With Cheryl’s handprints on your latest creations, gonna have some ‘splaining to do if GAS causes an urge to flip. Haha, doubt that will be a problem, looks to be a keeper!! Of course, that applies to your whole stable. Looking forward to next installment of this story.
Thanks Rich. Tyler's Florentine style is a variation of what is typically seen. I also like that he doesn't use binding on the tip of to cutaway which allows continuity in the natural wood grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Wow, this is coming out great! Enjoying the thread, loving the design!!
Thanks Mike, I'm glad you're enjoying and along for the ride with me.

As I previously mentioned, we decided to omit a backstrip on this guitar to fully appreciate the striking sap and natural figuring on the koa back.

So, in order to maintain continuity of design from the rear view I tasked Tyler with designing a complimentary inlay for the back of the mahogany neck.

Now we'll have a look at how Tyler's Neck Inlay was conceived and implemented.

1) Preliminary Neck Inlay Drawing -

2) Computer illustration of the Neck Inlay design concept -

3) Tyler consulted with Tom Dalia on this design and a resin background was added to the center filigree section of the inlay. Then they got to work and made it happen! -

4) The Completed Neck Inlay -

I think they did a great job executing this design for the neck of my guitar. Thanks for following along.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Thank you bendandsnap, Diogo and NTS I appreciate your encouraging comments...it has been a fun journey so far with a ways yet to go.

Thanks Rich. Tyler's Florentine style is a variation of what is typically seen. I also like that he doesn't use binding on the tip of to cutaway which allows continuity in the natural wood grain.

Thanks Mike, I'm glad you're enjoying and along for the ride with me.

As I previously mentioned, we decided to omit a backstrip on this guitar to fully appreciate the striking sap and natural figuring on the koa back.

So, in order to maintain continuity of design from the rear view I tasked Tyler with designing a complimentary inlay for the back of the mahogany neck.

Now we'll have a look at how Tyler's Neck Inlay was conceived and implemented.

1) Preliminary Neck Inlay Drawing -

2) Computer illustration of the Neck Inlay design concept -

3) Tyler consulted with Tom Dalia on this design and a resin background was added to the center filigree section of the inlay. Then they got to work and made it happen! -

4) The Completed Neck Inlay -

I think they did a great job executing this design for the neck of my guitar. Thanks for following along.

This is some exquisite artistry! Wow!
Old 11-15-2022, 12:24 AM

holy crap, that neck inlay is amazing! Didn’t even know that could be done! Nice!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop