The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-04-2022, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Lowes would have sold me a minimum of three packages, but I only needed one.
You might want to try some non-big box stores. I know these are a dying breed. But back when I did my studio, more years ago than I want to think about, Lowes and HD were of no help, but the local pro lumber yard (which is now sadly out of business) was happy to order it for me. I think I had to buy one box of it, tho I ended up with several for my space. Just doing a quick search on yelp, I'd try something like Golden State Lumber in Concord, or maybe Truit and White in Berkeley. No idea if they'd have it - and I recall my local place looking at me like I was a bit nuts for ordering this stuff, but they did it, and a place that's more for real pro construction than the big box stores seems more likely.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You might want to try some non-big box stores. I know these are a dying breed.
The Lowe's stuff is Safe 'n' Sound, which is not as dense as the Rockwool 60/80 you'd want for panels anyway. (It does work well for thicker, 6-8" bass traps, though.)

Either find a local lumberyard, like Doug recommends, or call around to commercial supply houses. Many will sell to the public, although you probably have to get a minimum amount. A couple years ago I did just that, finding a local place that sold commercial insulation products to the public, and they got me OC703. I had to get 2 6-packs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD