The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2022, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
In an email responding to my inquiry about the guitar, a RK rep said this to me: "The retail price is going to be $1466.99, but some sellers may list it for less, it's up to them."

I was seriously considering getting this guitar, and I guess I still am, but I can get the Martin Special 16 from Guitar Center for $1682 after a 15% discount, plus taxes. But the RK does have the Adi spruce top, and I might be able to get some kind of discount from a dealer.
The Martin is made in Pennsylvania, the Recording King in China, if that matters to you.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 08-29-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
The Martin is made in Pennsylvania, the Recording King in China, if that matters to you.
Yes, I know. It matters, but I am not as opposed to buying an instrument made in China as I once was. At least Recording King is headquartered in the US.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:13 AM

There are a few on Reverb already.

That neck profile (from the pictures) looks like a club - for my small hands. Not confident I'd like that neck. But what a lovely instrument.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhiller View Post
There are a few on Reverb already.

That neck profile (from the pictures) looks like a club - for my small hands. Not confident I'd like that neck. But what a lovely instrument.
I see only one RD 342 on Reverb, and it's available for pre-order -- well, it says there are two available for pre-order. Price is good, at $1100. I have smallish hands and really liked the V-neck on the RO 328. But I realize everyone is different.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:36 AM

I have always been a closet RK fan.

I saw the construction details on these when they came out ...listened to the RK video.... I got to play them at a guitar show and I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be...They certainly were 'good', I just wasn't as floored ..I actually love their slender little V neck and the feel...and it did have the RK's cool tone. I just wished they were a little louder/liver for being Addy topped?

In my head I always compare them to Blueridge....The Adirondack, slimmer necks and good woods

In fairness, the one I played felt a little over-clearcoated? They might have picked a super glossy one for the show...I know from experience that ones that have too much clear sometimes need awhile to break in...like it's inhibiting vibration?

But for that money (I think it was around 600 bucks),,,,,,amazing deal
Old 08-30-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post

I saw the construction details on these when they came out ...listened to the RK video.... I got to play them at a guitar show and I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be...They certainly were 'good', I just wasn't as floored ..I actually love their slender little V neck and the feel...and it did have the RK's cool tone. I just wished they were a little louder/liver for being Addy topped?

In my head I always compare them to Blueridge....The Adirondack, slimmer necks and good woods

In fairness, the one I played felt a little over-clearcoated? They might have picked a super glossy one for the show...I know from experience that ones that have too much clear sometimes need awhile to break in...like it's inhibiting vibration?

Thanks for that information! One thing that made me consider a RK dread is how much I liked the tone of their 000. I was hoping the tone of their new 342 would be an upgrade on the 328.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:53 AM

On a different note... I played a used Martin d16GT rosewood special at the Nashville Guitar center yesterday. They want a thousand bucks(999) and it was in good played condition. If I still played dreads I would have bought it.

Last edited by srick; 08-30-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Removed Masked Profanity
Old 08-30-2022, 11:54 AM

I also asked 'why the rosewood special, and not a d16RGT?... no explanation. I used to own the d16rgt and I can only assume they re-named it when the nut went to 1.75?
Old 08-30-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I also asked 'why the rosewood special, and not a d16RGT?... no explanation. I used to own the d16rgt and I can only assume they re-named it when the nut went to 1.75?
So, the one you played in Nashville had the 1.75 nut?
Old 09-01-2022, 03:10 AM

Hey there Troubadour hope all is well .

Interesting to see the new line .
So a little bling and ebony fingerboard and fingerboard banding leads to double the price of the Tone wood reserve series RD and RO models .
I do wonder if the tuning/bracing is the same . On the RK sight it does seem the OOO is bit warmer in tone over the RO-328
But that’s not a given .

The V neck , I don’t know . I see it has been mentioned and my RK’s are the first v neck guitars I own . I can play it but I have to admit I prefer the fast slim D profiles .

In some chords positions my thumb has an issue with the V but it’s an old injury that puts a bit of stress on it .

Anyways the RO-328 with pin upgrade sure does sound darn good for the money .

The RO-342 just the like the 328 say Triple O but I kind of thought that being a short scale it’s actually a OM triple O’s I thought are long scale 25.5 etc but these are 24.9 .

The RO’s on site say slim V neck not sure if it reads the same on the RD’s .

I noticed on the the Elite it just says V neck so if it’s a harder V profile that could be harder sell though I don’t know how many folks like the V profile verses the folks who don’t .

Lastly with all the crap going on around the world shipping is still an issue especially from China ad inflation to list and our belts have tightened and wallets are on lock down .

Seems a odd time to release a new line but I do look forward to seeing the reviews of the Elites . [emoji4]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 09-01-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post

The RO-342 just the like the 328 say Triple O but I kind of thought that being a short scale it’s actually a OM triple O’s I thought are long scale 25.5 etc but these are 24.9 .
I believe -- traditionally anyway -- that 000s are typically short scale and OMs are long scale, but -- having said that -- I 'm in the habit of calling every guitar of that size an OM.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
I believe -- traditionally anyway -- that 000s are typically short scale and OMs are long scale, but -- having said that -- I 'm in the habit of calling every guitar of that size an OM.
Yes.

000=short scale
OM=long scale

Interestingly, Eastman calls their version OM and they are short scale.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have an RD-328 and it definitely took a little bit of time for the Adi top to break in. It was real tight sounding when new but has loosened up nicely over an almost 2 year time period and become more resonant. I have to assume the 342 will be the same.

I don't know why RK insists on a thick gloppy poly finish on these. They can do thin finishes as I've seen it on other models.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post

Interesting to see the new line .
So a little bling and ebony fingerboard and fingerboard banding leads to double the price of the Tone wood reserve series RD and RO models .
I do wonder if the tuning/bracing is the same . On the RK sight it does seem the OOO is bit warmer in tone over the RO-328
But that’s not a given .

The V neck , I don’t know . I see it has been mentioned and my RK’s are the first v neck guitars I own . I can play it but I have to admit I prefer the fast slim D profiles .

In some chords positions my thumb has an issue with the V but it’s an old injury that puts a bit of stress on it .

Anyways the RO-328 with pin upgrade sure does sound darn good for the money .

The RO’s on site say slim V neck not sure if it reads the same on the RD’s .

I noticed on the the Elite it just says V neck so if it’s a harder V profile that could be harder sell though I don’t know how many folks like the V profile verses the folks who don’t .

Lastly with all the crap going on around the world shipping is still an issue especially from China ad inflation to list and our belts have tightened and wallets are on lock down .

Seems a odd time to release a new line but I do look forward to seeing the reviews of the Elites . [emoji4]
Hey, thanks for your well-wishes, and I appreciate your post. It looks like retailers are going to charge less than what the RK rep told me the list price would be, so that's good. Maybe the upgraded Adi spruce is worth $300 more. I know other brands charge more for Adi.

I wonder about the V-necks on the new elites, as well. The neck on the RO 328 I had was comfortable to me.

I'd like to get my hands on one of these, but that may be an iffy proposition unless I just bought one online before playing it. RK has a dealer within a couple hour's drive from me, so maybe they will carry these new models.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
Bah ! I had that backwards lol thanks . 😊

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion