The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Lets Talk Buffer size and CPU Size.

First I want to give a shout out for the incredible Tech Support at Sweetwater. Sweetwater offers one on one Screen Share technical support from the products you have purchased from them. I recently purchased a new midi keyboard and a couple of programs. I am New into downloading of programs and things...they were Paramount in helping to get up everything and running. If you are new to this as I am, Sweetwater goes to extreme levels to make sure you get up and running by spending time with you. There is no pressure to finish...you never feel like you are taking up to much of their time. Extremely thankful for the help I have received through this fantastic program. Quite frankly, I would have been in big trouble without their help. While They do not carry every product that I need., ..I will most certainly make an extra effort to purchase every product I can from them from now on. They have given me more support than the actual product companies themselves.
So what I would love to get your input on today is Buffer Size and the importance of CPU Size.
*I was having problems with distortion, cracks & pops when I use my virtual instrument & reverb programs. As it turns out, if I had too many programs open at one time this would occur.
Problem was then solved by increasing my buffer rate.
I was explained that Buffer rate only effects Latency? So if Recording something like voice..I should use a lower buffer rate for less latency.
However, if I have a few virtual instruments open and running then I may want to increase the Buffer Rate. When we did this, it got rid of the distortion, pops and clicks.
Another trick he taught me was to right click on the tract, and Freeze the track. This stops that tract from using CPU's when you are not using it.
Questions:
1. What are your feelings about Buffer size. Does it indeed only effect latency when recording? Or is there any issues that might occur such as the recording quality itself?
2.He also said that if I had a higher core processor would greatly help. Currently I have an 2009 Imac. I have upgraded the memory..but by core processor is only 3.06 GHZ intel Core 2 duo.
I am wondering if this is something I should give serious consideration to..getting a new computer with more processor cores? My Goal is to record an entire album with symphony, guitars, vocals drums and bass. Can I work around my low core processing by just switching buffer sizes and Freezing when needed? OR ultimately am I fooling myself...and should I get a newer computer?
Old 01-27-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Yes, buffer size will effect latency. Typically, you'd want the lowest buffer size your machine can handle when tracking. You can then raise that buffer size when mixing. With an older machine or an underpowered machine, it can be tricky sometimes avoiding all the pops and clicks. Whether you should get a new machine really depends on how much these issues bother you. Speaking from experience, they used to bother me quite a bit. Enough so that in 2017 I bought a new iMac (4.2GHz quad core, 32gb ram) and that put the problem behind me.

Since then, my penchant for virtual instruments has introduced new strains on my computer. I can still get things done but the crashes can be a bother. I suspect in a year or three, I'll be jumping on a new iMac.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-27-2022, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I go for a high buffer when recording since I have not been recording live over a previous recording where I would need to synch up.
When listening to a previous recording with lower buffers there can be pops and crackles when listening while altering the recording
with heavier processing such as some reverbs. Having the DAW latency compensation active (usually the default option) is important
when combining different previously recorded tracks but currently have different processing going on so that they time align.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-27-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
[INDENT]....
2.He also said that if I had a higher core processor would greatly help. Currently I have an 2009 Imac. I have upgraded the memory..but by core processor is only 3.06 GHZ intel Core 2 duo.
I am wondering if this is something I should give serious consideration to..getting a new computer with more processor cores? My Goal is to record an entire album with symphony, guitars, vocals drums and bass. Can I work around my low core processing by just switching buffer sizes and Freezing when needed? OR ultimately am I fooling myself...and should I get a newer computer?
My $.02/short answer is you will save a lot of time by updating that computer.

A faster CPU will help, and newer CPUs all seem to have at least 4 cores, which should be sufficient. Plus you'll have the option of faster bus speeds if you move to USB-C/3.x level of hardware.

I don't know which DAW you're using but Logic also has a "low-latency" mode in the record menu that will disable some of the resource-intensive stuff going on, and that helps with latency. I honestly have never tinkered with buffer size!

I originally used a 2010 Macbook Pro, probably similar specs to your iMac, and moving even to a 2012 Mini with an i3 and more memory (upgraded to 16GB) with an SSD update made it last until I started doing more video. Still, it would work for audio, but video render times were beyond what I could tolerate. (But, I very rarely use VSTs, and I'm pretty quick to click that freeze icon, partly for performance, but partly to keep myself focused and not tinkering until a frozen track becomes the one that sticks out.) So, about 2 years ago (before everything turned to worms) I got a refurb iMac. Been very happy with that decision.

Just beware if you update your computer to anything relatively new, you will leave the 32-bit world behind and so old s/w you have on that iMac may not all install on a new model. Drivers for an old interface or other plugged in h/w would be my main concern, and any critical productivity apps you don't have a current license to or doesn't have a 64-bit version available to you.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Lowest buffer you can get away with when recording, so that you minimize latency, otherwise as high as needed for your system to be able to keep up. No affect on sound quality, it just gives your computer some breathing room to keep up with the data flow.

You're using Logic, right? When overdubbing, use as low a latency as you can, and turn on Low Latency mode (under the Record menu) which will disable all plugins that introduce latency during recording. If your computer can't keep up, you may need to overdub to a subset of tracks rather than a huge mix.

I'd also suggest using direct input monitoring on your interface or no input monitoring at all, because the latency you'll hear if you monitor yourself in Logic will drive you crazy, even with small buffers sizes.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

I'd also suggest using direct input monitoring on your interface or no input monitoring at all, because the latency you'll hear if you monitor yourself in Logic will drive you crazy, even with small buffers sizes.
How does one check- know if we are direct input monitoring from interface or from Logic?
Where do I go to check this? This only gives option for Interface or Built in speakers of computer.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How does one check- know if we are direct input monitoring from interface or from Logic?
Where do I go to check this? This only gives option for Interface or Built in speakers of computer.
That would be something in your interface, and Logic wouldn't be involved. Basically, it's can your interface directly send your input to the headphones. The interface does it before the audio gets to Logic.

This seems to explain it for your interface:

https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us...es-and-Routing

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-27-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This is also an issue with Studio One and, I suspect, most DAWs.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
This is also an issue with Studio One and, I suspect, most DAWs.
yeah, it's not a Logic issue. Comes with the territory. Fortunately many, if not most, interfaces support direct input monitoring, or cue mixes, or whatever each one decides to call it.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:04 PM

I also recently got into a midi keyboard(Komplete Kontrol MK2), and found my 7 year old PC wasn't going to cut it. It was a pain to keep fiddling with settings to try to achieve what I wanted. Since upgrading my computer a month ago, my workflow has improved vastly. I went from 4 to 10 cores(now using an i5 12600).

just my 2 cents....
Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I’m not disagreeing with earlier posts with various scenarios discussed , but I don’t think anyone has brought up direct monitoring (near zero latency) in some audio interfaces. This eliminates the latency in monitoring the channels you are recording (vocals, playing guitar, etc); the channels you are recording do not take the round trip into and out of your computer before you hear them.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-28-2022, 09:53 AM

NOTE: you cannot use Direct Monitoring when recording MIDI!

When tracking, I never turn on my reverb busses (one each for drums, instruments, lead vocals, backing vocals) as reverb is CPU intensive.
I never 'freeze' EZDrummer2 ('render to audio' in Reaper), but any VSTi's I have added to the mix, I will render those once i am happy with the, But I've never had any stuttering/static/pops/crackles running a few at a time and my computers have never been anything fancy.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-28-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
NOTE: you cannot use Direct Monitoring when recording MIDI!

When tracking, I never turn on my reverb busses (one each for drums, instruments, lead vocals, backing vocals) as reverb is CPU intensive.
I never 'freeze' EZDrummer2 ('render to audio' in Reaper), but any VSTi's I have added to the mix, I will render those once i am happy with the, But I've never had any stuttering/static/pops/crackles running a few at a time and my computers have never been anything fancy.
For Tracking vocals, symphony & piano I find that at least hearing the reverb while tracking serves several purposes.
Mainly it adds inspiration and allows me to thoroughly get deeper into the song.
However, It also might change how I apply attack, density, sustain to any note, via voice, piano or symphony. For some of us, reverb is a defining part of the style of music we play.
For Acoustic Guitar....I do not need to add reverb while tracking...and doubt that in most of my songs I will need much added to the mix. But most everything else...yeah, I need to hear Reverb while tracking.
In the past I have heard debates on The Edge's guitar playing abilities. Some have criticized him saying that he is not that good and relies on the delays he uses to make his signature tone. But I say, what is wrong with that? It works for him. The Delay is part of what makes him work with those style of songs. The delay itself, has become part of his instrument.
Question:
If you buss reverb while tracking, and there are problems such as clicks pops distortion from to much Cpu being used...I assume that this will not effect the Vocal track in any way? As the reverb is bussed and thus not printed?
Or is there a side effect that can loop back and create problems on the dry Vocal track?
Old 01-29-2022, 01:59 AM

There are good suggestions here. Here are a couple of other things to consider:

-have you installed the latest drivers for the Audient?

- do you have a choice of what effects you're using to record, choosing the most efficient ones? Not all plugins require the same processing power.

_ have you tried freezing virtual instrument tracks at least when you record?
Old 01-29-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For Tracking vocals, symphony & piano I find that at least hearing the reverb while tracking serves several purposes.
Mainly it adds inspiration and allows me to thoroughly get deeper into the song.
However, It also might change how I apply attack, density, sustain to any note, via voice, piano or symphony. For some of us, reverb is a defining part of the style of music we play.
For Acoustic Guitar....I do not need to add reverb while tracking...and doubt that in most of my songs I will need much added to the mix. But most everything else...yeah, I need to hear Reverb while tracking.
Question:
If you buss reverb while tracking, and there are problems such as clicks pops distortion from to much Cpu being used...I assume that this will not effect the Vocal track in any way? As the reverb is bussed and thus not printed?
Or is there a side effect that can loop back and create problems on the dry Vocal track?
Ok so as people have said in general when recording you want the lowest buffer your computer is capable of ,,,, and yes higher CPU "speed" helps in that.
But when mixing, particularly if using VI's a higher buffer will help keep it from choking.

And no,,,,, Bussing (to parallel reverb) does not create any more CPU issues than having the verb on the audio track itself ... and if routed correctly will not create any loopback effect.

Also note if the reverb is a plugin insert (or Hardware set up as an insert),, regardless of whether bussed to parallel track or directly on the audio track, neither is "printed" ---both are "real time , non destructive FX's ,,, and not printed (unless you take the added step to actually print it )...

But lets back up a bit and look at this whole reverb while tracking perspective

Perhaps Consider an alternate perspective .............Perhaps you have only convinced your self you "need " reverb while tracking ?????????????????????
Because ----------------------------
Almost everybody is not particularly infatuated with their own raw voice mic'ed.
In fact I would suggest most people do not really like their voice when the first hear it mic'd RAW (especially recorded raw) .... And so the use of reverb is often used as a substitute for developing exactly what you are talking about,,,,, gettin "deeper" into the emotion of the song, and working on attack, sustain etc. You can in fact absolutely do all that sans reverb while tracking and I would suggest perhaps even more so, and better ? If you can do that with the raw vocal then adding reverb when mixing becomes very easy and quick ,,,,, such that when you do go to mix and add reverb you may well get a better result (maybe) ??????????

Consider Historically
Back in the day from the 50's crooners, to the 60' Folk legends and Rock stars
thru the 70's and 80's they all came from the same paradigm . They almost started as live acts and went through the crucible of a lot of live performance in small venues often with poor PA systems and no reverb effects (other than the room they were in). ..................................
What this did for them was allow them to really hear their unprocessed raw vocal and develop exactly the things you say reverb helps you with .

The reason I am suggesting all this is ,,,,,for example consider when I started in 2003 with ProTools LE I simply could not use a reverb plugin or any plugin FX on my vocals and thus was forced to try to get as much emotion , dynamics and effect out of the RAW vocal as possible,, and then add the reverb in the mixing stage And honestly I think that was more help than hinderance ......jussss sayin as an alternative perspective to an absolute of I "need" reverb while tracking because it can also be applied at mixing to achieve that "signature sound"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-29-2022 at 11:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD