The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2022, 06:26 PM

I've got a Taylor 756CE that's very playable, I can even finger pick it. It lives in standard tuning, stays in tune and sounds great. It just spent a week at the Spa (Taylor factory shop) getting a neck re-set and fret dress. Cost me a whopping $75 for the fret dress and new strings. Even if you aren't the original owner resets are quite reasonably priced. What's not to like!

I don't play it every day but it's nice to be able to scratch that 12-string itch when the need arises.

Scott
Old 11-26-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I got a GAME CHANGER for me.

After selling my last 12 string over a year ago, I missed the sound of a 12 string and wished that they were easier to play.

Then it happened!!!

Alvarez introduced a new Grand Auditorium size 8 String acoustic guitar.
Could this be what I need?

The answer is YES!!!

This 8 string is a very comfortable size and the 1 3/4" nut is as easy to play as any of my 6 string guitars.

If you like the sound of a 12 string but like me, find them difficult to play,
take a long hard look at this Alvarez 8 string.

Don't confuse this with a Baritone 8 string.
This is a normal 6 string with octave D and G strings added.
It gives a lot of the 12 string shimmer but plays so much easier.

I'm having a lot of fun with mine.
I can play it for as long as I want without getting that old 12 string finger/hand fatigue and soreness.
Hadn't heard of such a thing. I'll have a look. Does it not feel odd to play that two of the strings are paired up. whilst the others aren't?

Cheers

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 11-26-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Scot in Otley, there are two 12 fret Martins on UK ebay right now, a D12-20 in Birmingham that has been extensively rebuilt and looks great, and a D12-35, which is a fine guitar. They'll have 1 & 7/8" nut widths - i.e, very workable for accurate fretting.

It is all a matter of action as many of these need a neck reset, but I suggest you have a close look.
Both overpriced, but worth making contact!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255668462...Bk9SR7TFo8WWYQ

and the D12-20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115187747...Bk9SR7bFo8WWYQ

I'd go for the D12-20.
Thanks, Silly Moustache, for the heads up on those, although they are well over my target range: I'm looking at under a £1000. At an open mic last night, I saw a chap play the HPL Martin (a more competitively priced beast) and it sounded just dandy. He wasn't doing much with it, I'd be looking to fingerpick as well as flat pick to add some width to my guitar back up as a solo hack. It's the second HPL 12 string I've heard (acoustically and via PA) that sounds good enough. It got my 12 string juices going again.

Cheers

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Old 11-26-2022, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
I've got a Taylor 756CE that's very playable, I can even finger pick it. It lives in standard tuning, stays in tune and sounds great. It just spent a week at the Spa (Taylor factory shop) getting a neck re-set and fret dress. Cost me a whopping $75 for the fret dress and new strings. Even if you aren't the original owner resets are quite reasonably priced. What's not to like!

I don't play it every day but it's nice to be able to scratch that 12-string itch when the need arises.

Scott
Scott.... does your 756ce have the NT neck?
Old 11-26-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
Scott.... does your 756ce have the NT neck?
Yes, it's a 2017.

Scott
Old 11-26-2022, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
Hadn't heard of such a thing. I'll have a look. Does it not feel odd to play that two of the strings are paired up. whilst the others aren't?

Cheers
I’m not L20A, but I just took delivery of one of these yesterday based on the strength of his comments in other threads. I’m going to be sitting in on a biweekly jam, and wanted something a little less than my 12. It really doesn’t feel strange to me.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

I considered getting a 12-string for years, but after watching my best friend's full-size/full scale 12 string sit mostly unplayed I held off. In 2017 I played Taylor's 352ce and 552ce. Smaller mahogany bodies, shorter scale, 12-fretters...really comfortable, and the tone was close to what I wanted, but not quite. After a bit more research I ordered a 752ce w/Lutz Spruce over Rosewood, w/sunburst and vintage Gotohs. The wood combi gives me the tone I want. Now...it is NOT the "piano-like" sound of a big Guild 12-string, but it's quite nice...AND it's comfortable and easy to play so I do play it and it definitely scratches my itch for the 12 string sound. (It was a ltd ed, but I see used ones come up for sale every now and then). So in answer to the original question, I would "look-out" for playability.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...752ce-ltd-2017
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4446.jpg (38.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4448.jpg (37.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4445.jpg (26.2 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by gmel555; 11-27-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I considered getting a 12-string for years, but after watching my best friend's full-size/full scale 12 string sit mostly unplayed I held off. In 2017 I played Taylor's 352ce and 552ce. Smaller mahogany bodies, shorter scale, 12-fretters...really comfortable, and the tone was close to what I wanted, but not quite. After a bit more research I ordered a 752ce w/Lutz Spruce over Rosewood, w/sunburst and vintage Gotohs. The wood combi gives me the tone I want. Now...it is NOT the "piano-like" sound of a big Guild 12-string, but it's quite nice...AND it's comfortable and easy to play so I do play it and it definitely scratches my itch for the 12 string sound. (It was a ltd ed, but I see used ones come up for sale every now and then). So in answer to the original question, I would "look-out" for playability.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...752ce-ltd-2017
That's a very pretty looking guitar. I'm looking at under £1000, and given that I've read enough to be careful of older 12 strings (neck/bridge etc) that means a new(ish) guitar and therefore something less glamorous. But that's okay as I take my guitars out to open mics 2/3 times a week where they get their mic stand bumps etc - and I usually cry after the first dink - couldn't handle the floods of tears if it cost me upwards of £2000. As you and everyone say, it's playability that is key.

Cheers

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Old 11-27-2022, 04:42 PM

Check out a Guild D-1212, it's a great 12 string for a good price.

You could more than likely purchase one from Sweetwater here in the US and have it shipped.

Last edited by Rockysdad; 11-27-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Check out a Guild D-1212, it's a great 12 string for a good price.

You could more than likely purchase one from Sweetwater here in the US and have it shipped.
I absolutely and completely second this suggestion. However, if you can't thoroughly check it out and play it before buying it, be sure you have a good return policy. Keep in mind, you often have to pay shipping to return it unless there is something wrong with it.

My Guild D1212 is my current 12 string and my favorite of the ridiculous number I have been through. I have tried 2 different Taylors, an old 1980s Alvarez, and a rebuilt Stella.

And I have one other thing to mention - other people have already mentioned neck bowing, bridge issues and lower bout rising on 12s - all true, especially if they have been abused. Here is my addition - 12s all have bigger necks - wider and generally a little thicker. I have had a pretty bad case of tendonitis in my fretting elbow and haven't been able to play the 12 without pain in a few months. I can play my 6 stringers. So, 12's are a somewhat different beast. Be sure you can get along with it. As much as I like the Guild D1212, the neck is a sort of weird shape to me - sort of a flat C shape. If the tendonitis continues to be an issue, I may wind up giving up on 12s entirely.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I absolutely and completely second this suggestion. However, if you can't thoroughly check it out and play it before buying it, be sure you have a good return policy. Keep in mind, you often have to pay shipping to return it unless there is something wrong with it.

My Guild D1212 is my current 12 string and my favorite of the ridiculous number I have been through. I have tried 2 different Taylors, an old 1980s Alvarez, and a rebuilt Stella.

And I have one other thing to mention - other people have already mentioned neck bowing, bridge issues and lower bout rising on 12s - all true, especially if they have been abused. Here is my addition - 12s all have bigger necks - wider and generally a little thicker. I have had a pretty bad case of tendonitis in my fretting elbow and haven't been able to play the 12 without pain in a few months. I can play my 6 stringers. So, 12's are a somewhat different beast. Be sure you can get along with it. As much as I like the Guild D1212, the neck is a sort of weird shape to me - sort of a flat C shape. If the tendonitis continues to be an issue, I may wind up giving up on 12s entirely.
Thanks to you and Rockysdad for the heads up on the D1212. I'm definitely going to get a 12 string .... decisions .. decisions. As many mention, it's the issue of restricted local choices versus the inspired guesswork of the internet. I'm not rushing though. Been there, done that.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion