The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2022, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

There are some fine guitars in the $3k range. There are more fine guitars in the $5k range. I own a number of guitars in the $10k range, and I can generally say they outperform guitars in the $3k range. In fact, I’ve never played a $3k guitar that can match the performance of my luthier-made guitars. I’ve played some $5k that have come pretty close.

This is all very personal, as you can see from the responses in this thread, but there is a reason I have moved on to higher-end luthier-made instruments. Is it diminishing returns? Maybe. Though I suppose even the difference in sound between an utterly terrible guitar and a great guitar isn’t huge.

As to the OP’s question, there are also quite a few meh sounding $10k guitars out there. Price doesn’t guarantee improvements. But that $10k price point is at a level where you’ll get some pretty experienced, high-demand builders. I have yet to find any $3k maker (which would pretty much be production guitars) that moves me as much as my Circas or LeGeyts. Is there a one-off out there that can come close? Maybe. I haven’t found it. Though, to be honest, I don’t spend time anymore playing production guitars.

Last edited by justonwo; 11-27-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:17 AM

If you like a really modern sounding guitar, which is perfectly build, responsive with a wonderful balanced tonality, deep sounding, rich bass responsive, a wonderful midrange and Chrystal clear heights, try Maestro Guitars Singapore.

https://shop.maestroguitars.com/

Got two custom build guitars, a 12 String and 6 String, both Wenge, Swiss Moon Spruce, both Fanned fret and they are gorgeous.
Never understood, why Wenge is so underrated.
In my opinion, this is so unique sounding, so special and clear, just a very special and dense Tonewood. Mr. Somogyi, as a big friend of Wenge, wrote a wonderful article about “ Wenge- as the new brasilian Tonewood.

https://www.premierguitar.com/wenge-the-new-brazilian

I never played a guitar(around my place and there are some good shops), no matter what brand, that comes even close (not my ex Taylor custom grand orchester eir/sitka, nor my santa cruz om grand eir/sitka, both sold, with a little regret to my om grand, or my martin experience, still got my special ooo15 sm and a beloved backpacker) to the unbelievable responsiveness an tonality the maestros have.

In Germany the value is in the 8000 € range.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I would like to ask the advice of the members here on your experiences being pleasantly surprised by playing a guitar whether used or new costing 3K or less which impressed you so much tonally speaking that it was on the same level as solo puthier made guitars costing more than 10K. From a cost to benefit ratio perspective, I am sure the benefits of knowing what guitars tend to punch much higher than their weight would be of great interest to many here...
Jeez... really?

Price, Quality, Availability. You can have any two.

You Get What You Pay For.

Last edited by jmagill; 11-28-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:57 AM

I have an Olav Loef dread that cost me €2500 second hand but in excellent condition and beats my much more expensive Martin OM-18 and McIlroy A-48. I haven't been able to compare it to other $10,000 guitars, which will surely have more exclusive woods and impressive decoration, but I don't know if they have better sound.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 11-28-2022, 06:44 AM
Musical minimalist

I have a bit of experience with this, since finding these guitars was a goal of mine for the last 20 years.

It's really simple, but not easy....just buy and sell about 250 different instruments until you find the one.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I own a number of guitars in the $10k range, and I can generally say they outperform guitars in the $3k range. In fact, I’ve never played a $3k guitar that can match the performance of my luthier-made guitars. I’ve played some $5k that have come pretty close.

There are also quite a few meh sounding $10k guitars out there. Price doesn’t guarantee improvements.
I was going to post some stuff but the above pretty much sums my thoughts up.

I suspect what the OP wants is the name of the luthier who is 3k in 2022 but who will be 10k+ in 2023, i.e. getting in at the ground floor

Well, we’ll all have our personal thoughts on that but so very much of the “price hike” is contingent on dealer hype, AGF hype etc. For example, I’ve bought plenty of guitars that have increased in value due to those factors; some luthiers I’ve commissioned from have quintupled in a few years. Same guitar.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-28-2022, 07:30 AM

Do you think you can tell the difference between a “$3k” guitar vs a “$10k” in a blind test? Most people won’t be able to. Once you get up to that price range it’s more about bling, bragging rights, self indulgence, etc.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I have a bit of experience with this, since finding these guitars was a goal of mine for the last 20 years.

It's really simple, but not easy....just buy and sell about 250 different instruments until you find the one.
This make sense to me. Searching for the $30,000 car that handles like a $100,000 car or the $10 wine that tastes just like a $50 bottle seems a waste of time. On the other hand, not being a sommelier, I can find a $20 bottle of wine that I personally enjoy just as much as some $50 bottles - maybe even more. I am fully aware that my enjoyment doesn't make them as good, but what do I care - they're as good to me.

I think anyone who plays enough guitars can find one they really love. Why should it need to matter that some other players found theirs at a higher price range? Guitars are tools, and if you find one that is wonderful for the job you need it to do why not just enjoy it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-28-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Do you think you can tell the difference between a “$3k” guitar vs a “$10k” in a blind test? Most people won’t be able to. Once you get up to that price range it’s more about bling, bragging rights, self indulgence, etc.
Can hardly wait to hear what you have in mind for the "etc" part!!!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-28-2022, 08:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post

I think anyone who plays enough guitars can find one they really love.
I didn't even touch on that - the OP doesn't seem to take into consideration the fact that I may not like the tonal characteristics of the 10k guitar someone else loves.

I've played and owned (for a very short time) some beautiful and expensive duds, and some inexpensive guitars I could hardly put down.

Two guitars of the same brand/model or builder/model may be totally different than the other...which makes this "quest" only work on an individual instrument basis.

Last edited by fitness1; 11-28-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
It is always amusing listening to people ascribing other people's motivations, when what they are likely doing is ascribing their own.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

…..actually once you get into that price range it’s usually more about the builder and the reputation they built over the years….and the extra measure of quality that they are able to bring to their builds…..it’s often the case that they have achieved a signature sound that you won’t find in lower cost instruments…..

……as far as self indulgence and bragging rights go?…..I’ve never known that to be related to anything other than an individual’s personality…
Old 11-28-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Jeez... really?

Price, Quality, Availability. You can have any two.

You Get What You Pay For.
Seems pretty hard to argue with that.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:

If the blind test included both playing and listening to the guitar being played to you by someone else, I’m guessing that yes, many guitarists would hear and feel a difference between different price levels of guitar. But without setting up a systematic experiment, it would be hard to know the price points where the differences start flatten out significantly.

We’re stuck with highly subjective anecdotal accounts.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

It takes a lot of experience and a lot of guitars played to know what you value in a guitar. Then a bit of wisdom to ignore most of what is said. Eras have different priorities, so when younger players come up, and very resonant guitars become viewed as the best, guitar builders build guitars for them.

I recognize how good a D 18 Aged Authentic is. I prefer a D 18GE, or even a modern D 18. What I like more is a mid 60s D 18. That is what, for me, my experience has led me to believe.

I favor mahogany, but also own a D 35, just for when I want that tone. It is hard to filter all the discourse around a particular guitar, and be realistic about your feelings about a guitar if you can't afford it. I've often thought the less you know, the better off you are much of the time. I gravitated to drier guitars as I could play cleaner and faster. But it is important to me that I could live with any number of guitars in the realm of what I have learned that I like. That sound that a ten grand guitar has over a three grand guitar is worth it only if you really prefer it. You may not. That is important to know. And sometimes you have to buy a guitar to find that out. Having something is often the only way to tell.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion