The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2022, 05:05 PM

Even as a kid, my musical preferences ran toward the type of music Dan Fogelberg plays. Even as a teenager, my friends made fun of my preference for "sappy" or "easy listening" music.

Sometime in the 90's, there was a regional radio station that only played this type of music and there were a bunch of songs that I really loved, but had no idea who the artist was. This was pre-internet in small town, America, so musical knowledge was hard to come by.

Due to my limited finances, most of my CD purchases were of the greatest hits type. I purchased a CD collection of Fogelberg hits because it had two or three songs I loved (probably Leader of the Band, Run for the Roses and Longer) and when I put the CD on, I was astounded that every song was one of those mystery songs I loved so much from the radio.

The same thing happened a couple of other times, with one being The Little River Band's greatest hits and the other possibly being Jim Croce.

My favorite Fogelberg song is "Go Down Easy", as there was a Linda I was wanting in my life at the time I first heard it.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:51 PM

When I was beginning my musical experience in the 80s in college open mics, I found myself gravitating towards Dan Fogelberg and Jimmy Buffett. As well as other obvious influences (Gordon Lightfoot / CSN / Eagles etc).

As I was primarily a solo artist, DF was one of my main focuses. It's funny, once I got better, a well-established band in the area enjoyed my songs and asked to play backup to them. I was thrilled and humbled.

One of the best renditions was "Old Tennessee", where the band filled in behind me beautifully. I think about that night often.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 11-27-2022, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
When I was beginning my musical experience in the 80s in college open mics, I found myself gravitating towards Dan Fogelberg and Jimmy Buffett. As well as other obvious influences (Gordon Lightfoot / CSN / Eagles etc).

As I was primarily a solo artist, DF was one of my main focuses. It's funny, once I got better, a well-established band in the area enjoyed my songs and asked to play backup to them. I was thrilled and humbled.

One of the best renditions was "Old Tennessee", where the band filled in behind me beautifully. I think about that night often.

***Like***

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion