The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-26-2022, 04:19 PM

My own method early on, was to learn lots of fairly simple songs (Green Day, Nirvana, Tom Petty) just using simple power chords, then start to substitute full/ cowboy chords one at a time.

For instance, I'd start with G, and try to replace all the power chord G's in the songs I knew with an open G, then C and so on, then the minors and on to 7ths...

In this manner I improve my playing while keeping things fun, rather than remaining stuck on a handfull of songs for long periods of time. Also, learning to use power chords is a fun and easy step towards learning to play up the neck, which will eventually come in handy.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I agree there are a lot of things to work on. It's like you're heading across country to a city call "Yes I Play Guitar" and you come to many, many, many forks in the road and all of them say they are heading to "Yes I Play Guitar".
I like how you put it.

I'll also add that if you can find another traveler (or travelers) to journey with, it'll make the trip more fun.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:13 PM

My suggestion: Focus always on 3 or 4 simple ones to learn from A to Z.
In the meantime experiment with anything that seems of interest, but keep priority to the above

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write