The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-24-2022, 09:37 PM

Default Arm-Rest in place of Arm-Bevel?

So I came across these classical guitars by Philipp Neumann, where he has an actual Arm-Rest instead of an Arm Bevel, as is used by most hand-built acoustic guitars these days. Since one main purpose of an arm bevel (in addition to improving comfort) is helping avoid dampening the soundboard with ones arm, this seems like a much better design because not only are angling the arm further away from touching the soundboard, which should more consistently prevent your arm from dampening the soundboard, but in this design you don't have to cut into the soundboard's surface area to install it.

Has anyone ever tried to design or make something like this Philipp Neuman arm rest? I have no clue how he goes about it, but would love to attempt something like it.

Old 10-25-2022, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

That is a very elegant armrest, and a very elegant guitar too!

There are regular posts on commercially-available armrests in the main section, but while they do the function they don’t do it with the style of the one you have found.

You are correct to say bevels reduce the top area. How much of an issue this is would be better covered by a luthier then me. But as the owner of a few guitars with bevels I do like the fact that they are narrower overall at the bass side of the lower bout than the same guitar with an armrest. As such the bevels probably add to my comfort in playing (with my bad shoulder) more than an armrest would do.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:57 AM
Musical minimalist

I've only owned one guitar with a bevel, but it definitely didn't keep my arm from dampening the top, in fact I think my arm contacted the top more than it would have if there had been the standard "edge".

It's hard to tell from those pics how far the internal edge of the arm rest is from the top of the soundboard, but if it's more than 1/4" or so, it would probably do it's job and, as mentioned above, it looks very nice too!

Old 10-25-2022, 07:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Supercurio;7113657]So I came across these classical guitars by Philipp Neumann, where he has an actual Arm-Rest instead of an Arm Bevel, as is used by most hand-built acoustic guitars these days. Since one main purpose of an arm bevel (in addition to improving comfort) is helping avoid dampening the soundboard with ones arm, this seems like a much better design because not only are angling the arm further away from touching the soundboard, which should more consistently prevent your arm from dampening the soundboard, but in this design you don't have to cut into the soundboard's surface area to install it.

Has anyone ever tried to design or make something like this Philipp Neuman arm rest? I have no clue how he goes about it, but would love to attempt something like it.

https://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

You have cited many good reasons why this style of rest encourages the player to keep their forearm elevated above the sound board, which I totally agree with. However, you will likely find equal and polar opposite responses why players like a bevel better. To each his own and YMMV.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:36 AM

Default Could the arm rest curve over the top, for comfort?

If the arm rest of the guitar shown in the photo curved over the top instead of coming out at a 90 degree angle, then it would still keep your arm off the top, but would also provide some of the comfort of the arm bevel. I would think that the edge of the arm rest could come within a few millimeters of actually touching the top to give the best of both worlds.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I would recommend giving the Andreas Abel armrest a try. It attaches to the lower bout without damaging the finish and I do find it frees the top.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

An "Uppie" exacerbates the ergonomic issue, though it may keep the arm off the top, a problem I've never noticed having. It surprises me that a conservative wedge such as I use has not become more common. A 1" wedge makes a guitar a little weird, but 5/16" makes a very real ergonomic difference without being even slightly obvious, visually. Back to your regular programing.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
An "Uppie" exacerbates the ergonomic issue, though it may keep the arm off the top, a problem I've never noticed having. It surprises me that a conservative wedge such as I use has not become more common. A 1" wedge makes a guitar a little weird, but 5/16" makes a very real ergonomic difference without being even slightly obvious, visually. Back to your regular programing.
I will echo this. The bevel does not help avoid top muting. The armrest keeps your elbow even further way. But both minimize the "sharp" edge feel that some experience.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:01 AM

I had some forearm discomfort in long playing sessions with my Claxton. A local luthier made me a rosewood arm rest and attached it with a few drops of fish glue, so it can be cleanly removed if necessary. I like how it looks, the discomfort is gone, and there may be some improvement in tone too — though this might be bias, I don’t know. Anyway, I’m very happy with it. Here’s a couple of photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 584A87FF-6092-4AC6-99D8-186C92ADCC75.jpg (28.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 203F3C4F-B212-417E-BAEB-7D863E4D6E1B.jpg (31.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-26-2022, 11:10 AM

I use the ARC arm rest that is custom made for each guitar. It fits perfectly and does indeed make a difference in comfort, volume and tone. JP Cormier reviewed them on his Youtube channel. The price has gone up since I ordered mine, but I think they're still worth it.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
I would recommend giving the Andreas Abel armrest a try. It attaches to the lower bout without damaging the finish and I do find it frees the top.
It works very well but I do find it a pain to screw it in and take it off every time I use it.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

I think it depends on how your arm goes over the guitar. My arm rests in such a way that it is on the edge of the top and does not dampen the top without a bevel or armrest. I tried an armrest earlier this year, and it did not help produce more tone. That's when I realized that my arm barely touches the top a smidge, and simply rests on the edge. Also, the armrest did make the body feel thicker, which was not a plus for me.

Also, when seated, I make sure that the back is not touching my body for maximum resonance.

So it depends on how you hold the guitar, as to whether you need an armrest or not.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:13 PM

I don't want anything that will increase the depth at the lower bout, even a small amount. I love my body bevel, though.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:27 PM

My Kenny Hill nylon guitar has the ugliest arm bevel, but it feels so nice. He literally just saws off the edge of the guitar and glues on a piece of ebony. In any case, armrests make the guitar feel a little thicker, while armbevels feel like the guitar is thinner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
arm bevel, arm rest, lutherie, soundboard