The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Cool 50's electric guitar tone/technique

ive been listening to some 50s music lately and would really like to get more into that style on my electric. could you good ppl recommend some essential pieces of gear and maybe an instructional video for me?

i currently own a USA strat and a small tube amp (15 watts and no effects at all). ive got a couple of pedals but nothing really of quality.

thanks.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:52 PM

I'd say you've got everything you need. They didn't have any pedals back then. Just an electric (frequently some sort of archtop) and a tube amp. The most essential thing you can have is a spirit of fun & enjoyment for 50's music. I think it's still relevant. One of my favorite (with me and the audience) tunes to play is "Since I Met You Baby" by Ivory Joe Hunter. Start playing and have a good time.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Lightbulb

The only thing I can think of, effects-wise, that can add your 50's vibe capabilities would be a good long-spring reverb and a tremolo effect for select numbers.

Pompadores and bowling shirts also help.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodore Seuss Geisel

'04 Gibson Melody Maker
Ampeg J-20 Jet
Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain
Boss DS-1
Baggs Para D.I.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 AM

Definitely reverb... & a little slap-back echo helps... bunch of twang back then had that added. There used to be specific stomp boxes available for it; I expect there's more options now (I am around 20 years behind on electric guitar gear).
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM

I assume you are looking to achieve some sort of a Rockabilly sound ? If you do, listen to and watch Danny Gatton's instructional video. He explains how to set various effects (echo, vibrato etc.) to make it sound correctly. Plus, he one of those rare birds that know how to fly any which way.
Just for reference, find some recordings of Hank Marvin of 'The 'Shadows'.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 AM

I can get that 50's sound with either of my 2 electrics (56 Tele and 64 re-issue strat) using my old Fender Super tube amp. My reverb is the old Fender tube style..they liked to use a lot of heavy reverb back in the days..dial the verb up high for that drippy Ventures surf guitar sound...add a little slap back delay and tremlo with an archtop and you'll be twisting out a pretty mean Duane Eddy..In my opinion though, for that old 50's sound, there's nothing like a Fender guitar through a Fender amp.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringSamurai
The only thing I can think of, effects-wise, that can add your 50's vibe capabilities would be a good long-spring reverb and a tremolo effect for select numbers.
long-spring reverb? i was in a shop over the weekend and all i saw were "digital" reverbs. one was made by digitech (which looks cheap, so i didnt really take it very seriously), and the other was by boss, and it looked way too complicated with two inputs and two outputs. i get pretty intimidated by pedals. ive got a buddy with one of those boss units with all the switches and buttons. gives me a headache just watching him use it.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.I.am
long-spring reverb? i was in a shop over the weekend and all i saw were "digital" reverbs. one was made by digitech (which looks cheap, so i didnt really take it very seriously), and the other was by boss, and it looked way too complicated with two inputs and two outputs. i get pretty intimidated by pedals. ive got a buddy with one of those boss units with all the switches and buttons. gives me a headache just watching him use it.
Unfortunately, save for the Fender reissue stand-alone, external hammond/spring reverb units are pretty much gone.

If anyone knows of any, currently available, that is, I'd greatly appreciate the tip.

Doc
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 AM

For what its worth....I just bought a Tech 21 Trademark 30 which has a particularly nice long spring reverb. One of its better features by far. The 50's /Ventures sound or that old Yardbird sound is a sinch with that and a Dot Studio..even with my Tele its pretty much a hoot. Loads of fun for very low bucks.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Unfortunately, save for the Fender reissue stand-alone, external hammond/spring reverb units are pretty much gone.

If anyone knows of any, currently available, that is, I'd greatly appreciate the tip.

Doc
gone? do you mean that the only good reverb pedals are old ones and hard to find? arent there any good ones on the market? someone told me of one called "holy grail" and said its pretty decent. anyone heard anything about it?

regarding the tech 21, i like those amps, i just dont want to get another amp, since i love the one i have. its just completely dry and i need some quality effects to get my sound better.

thanks for the replies.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
gone? do you mean that the only good reverb pedals are old ones and hard to find? arent there any good ones on the market? someone told me of one called "holy grail" and said its pretty decent. anyone heard anything about it?

regarding the tech 21, i like those amps, i just dont want to get another amp, since i love the one i have. its just completely dry and i need some quality effects to get my sound better.

thanks for the replies.
I didn't mean to imply that there was any defficency with your amp just that for the cost of a vintage sounding spring reverb the Tech 21 is a cost effective option.
The dynamics of a spring reverb are quite simple but, are typically intrinsic in the design of many earlier amps. They kinda counted on the reverb to override some of the harshness. Newer amps are more highly engineered circuit wise and tolerate more add ons. Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb
I didn't mean to imply that there was any defficency with your amp just that for the cost of a vintage sounding spring reverb the Tech 21 is a cost effective option.
The dynamics of a spring reverb are quite simple but, are typically intrinsic in the design of many earlier amps. They kinda counted on the reverb to override some of the harshness. Newer amps are more highly engineered circuit wise and tolerate more add ons. Just a thought.
i think im a bit lost here....

are you saying that one of those tech 21 amps is going to be cheaper than one pedal?

thats crazy. i guess i didnt realize they were that expensive
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
i think im a bit lost here....

are you saying that one of those tech 21 amps is going to be cheaper than one pedal?

thats crazy. i guess i didnt realize they were that expensive
Yes. Quite possibly. The best of the vintage spring reverbs, like Doc said, are rare and well sought after, hence the higher prices. The Tech 21 is well under three c notes. At that cost you could use it, in line, with your tube amp and get the benefit of both amps and the added advantage of a super little solid state amp as well.
No, I don't do testimonials for Tech 21.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:10 AM

One component in 50s sound that cannot be ignored is strings. They didn't have 9s, 10s and 11s with plain 3rd strings. Better find a set of 12s or 13s nickel strings with a wound third for real 50s tone.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM

Also, the Danelectro Tuna Melt is a decent tremolo for cheap. As for reverb, Digitecg Digiverb?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars