The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-21-2022, 09:50 PM

Default Supro Delta King 12 opinions? UPDATE

Wondering if this would be a good at-home amp…low volume levels. It has a 12” speaker and 15 watts with no attenuator on board. Thinking it may be too much amp, but interested in other viewpoints.
Thanks all,
Rb

Last edited by Rogerblair; 08-24-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Roger that strikes me as being very similar to a Blues Jr., which I found to be too much for home.

I have two amps: Fender 68 Vibrochamp Reissue, and also a Vox Mini Super Beetle. I think they both work better for the home. The Vibro breaks up better at lower volume than my Blues Jr. used to.

And Actually the Vox has NuTube tech, which I have no idea what that means, but it’s $399 and sounds great loud or subdued.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:40 AM

No expert here but use a DK 12 at home. Master and Volume are set at about 1 o clock. I don't use the boost or drive switches. I use pedals to adjust as needed. For the price and the performance I have been happy. I do have access to a Vox mini5 and a Fender Mustang 100w amp. I prefer the DK>
Old 08-22-2022, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=SalFromChatham;7070136

And Actually the Vox has NuTube tech, which I have no idea what that means, but it’s $399 and sounds great loud or subdued.[/QUOTE]

Nutube is a new vacuum tube that was developed by KORG Corporation in conjunction with Noritake Itron Corporation as an application of vacuum fluorescent display technology. Like a conventional vacuum tube, a Nutube has an anode grid filament structure, and operates as a complete triode tube.

These work especially well in effects pedals and boxes because of their incredibly rugged build quality and diminutive size.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:32 PM

I've got a DK10 and I'm very happy with it as an "at home" amp. Its not a loud amp (5w & 10" speaker) - if you need to turn up for playing with others now and then the DK12 may be a better choice. But the DK10 is nice for what we used to call a practice amp.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:56 PM

Thanks folks. I’m thinking that the DK 10 might just be perfect. I love the tone produced by the 12, it’s just too loud to play comfortably in most at home situations.

But that tone….wow!

More later. I’m going to try the 10 next.
Roger
Old 08-24-2022, 02:42 PM

As much as I loved the sound of the DK 12, it was too much amp for my situation.

I received the DK 10 from Sweetwater today, and I’ve found my home amp. 5 watts, 10” speaker.

This thing is perfect for home use as I can crank it for the big tones, and it’s still not paint-peeling loud. The tone is so sweet and rich I can’t believe it. As I age, I play 90% clean tones (just a little break up) and this platform is perfect for that. The Strat, Tele, and Les Paul all love it and between them, produce a wide variety of tones. I’m just using a little delay up front.

I’m a guy who normally skimps on the amp end of things, and while still not an expensive item, it’s well worth spending a few hundred more. It makes my meager collection of guitars sound like a million bucks.

Very, very pleased with this cool looking amp.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 PM

I just watched Don Carr from SWEETWATER put your amp(DK10) thru it’s paces and have to say how impressed I was with how the amp responds to the slightest movement of the knobs. You will have a ball playing your guitars thru there.
Which did you choose Roger? The black or the tan?
Enjoy all your very cool new gear.
frank d.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on that new Supro Delta King 10, Roger!

In addition to the video Frank linked, above, I thought this was a good demo!

- Glenn
Old 08-24-2022, 08:40 PM

Thanks guys. I got the tan tweed with black stripes, chickee. Love the retro look. Reminds me of a suitcase my dad had when I was a youngster. Classy.

I’ll check out the video, Glenn. Thanks.

Roger
Old 08-25-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Thanks guys. I got the tan tweed with black stripes, chickee. Love the retro look. Reminds me of a suitcase my dad had when I was a youngster. Classy.

I’ll check out the video, Glenn. Thanks.

Roger
Very cool and congrats I am a Supro fan... have a Supro Titan 50 watt 1X10 combo and the matching 1 X12 extension speaker,,, personally I play it clean and not cranked most of time, but honestly At a weight of 46 pounds (built like a tank) and my age 72,, I have been contemplating paring down some weight wise , as it is more than I really want to carry around . So I have been toying with the notion selling it and getting Delta King or the Black Magic Reverb 25 wt head.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-04-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:17 AM

I’m just bit older, Kev, so weight is a factor although I don’t move it around very often. It’s 23 lbs.
I’m really impressed by this BK 10. Just right for the music room yet loud enough to get some good crunch tones. I’m new to Supro and love the sound they produce.

Roger
Old 08-25-2022, 02:52 PM

Happy Amp Day! Enjoy! For my playing, the Supro Delta King is likely all I'll ever need.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:01 PM

Yes, between this and my Bugera V5, which I love, I’m all set in the amp department.

Roger
Old 08-25-2022, 10:40 PM

if you have a DK10 get a double latching footswitch and stereo cable (two bands on the plug) I dont use this often but the built in boost and overdive are decent and keeps things simple without using pedals (although a good pedal is much better}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars