The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-01-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Ordered Panels from GIK!

Once again letting my friends know that I listen to your advice! I have ordered more acoustic treatment!

A slightly different direction than I would have ever thought. I did lots of research....and ultimately took the advice of GIK, combined by some of my own Logic & intuition.

I ordered four 2 x 4 four inch thick Diffusion Panels. I will take down the painting and put two panels there. And I will take down the arrow rack and put two more there.

It was GIK's belief that the wall behind me would have the biggest effect on my particular room acoustics for tracking. That was bit of surprise to me. But after listening to this video...I am a believer.

The concept with this diffusion pattern is that it is open enough to accept and absorb frequencies...and still a little bit of diffusion going on in order to give a more open and reflective sound.

The Evolution Polyfusor featured in this video was under consideration. However, GIK told me that if they are placed to close to the instrument being recorded it can cause smearing. In the video...we are hearing the room mics and not the direct mics.

This is one of the weird URL's and I could not get it to line up with the AFG's Youtube link. So here is the straight Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uktGylkF_KM&t=54s

Another surprise was that GIK felt adding a area rug to my tiled area(beyond the carpeting) would not be of much help. And in fact the tile could be a benefit.

My plan is to order a couple of more diffusion panels with in the next two weeks. OR the Portable Isolation Booth PIB. With a little bit of creative engineering I plan to use this panel both Upright and Sideways.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't get the "behind" idea. If you are playing towards the larger end of a room and are surrounded on three sides by panels, why would you need one behind you?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't get the "behind" idea. If you are playing towards the larger end of a room and are surrounded on three sides by panels, why would you need one behind you?
Yes, this is a hard concept to accept. I certainly struggled with believing in it. But somewhere along the line...you got to take the advice of those who have studied room acoustics. The Combination of several GIK's emails, and telephone phone consultation today, they stressed the important of this corner wall. Claiming this would make the most difference for me. Listening to the video, there is a clear difference.

Remember that while I will be facing towards the corner of the opposite end of the room....the microphones are actually facing that back corner to a great degree. So they will be hearing the reflective sound off those walls.

Also take into consideration, that I am a pretty hard and heavy guitar player. I am typically much louder than most acoustic players as I play with a custom set of Medium-heavy strings...and strike hard on a dreadnought. My particular combination of fingerstyle, heavy strumming and wide dynamics, makes capturing my style of playing a bit difficult.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:01 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Yes, this is a hard concept to accept. I certainly struggled with believing in it. But somewhere along the line...you got to take the advice of those who have studied room acoustics. The Combination of several GIK's emails, and telephone phone consultation today, they stressed the important of this corner wall. Claiming this would make the most difference for me. Listening to the video, there is a clear difference.

Remember that while I will be facing towards the corner of the opposite end of the room....the microphones are actually facing that back corner to a great degree. So they will be hearing the reflective sound off those walls.

Also take into consideration, that I am a pretty hard and heavy guitar player. I am typically much louder than most acoustic players as I play with a custom set of Medium-heavy strings...and strike hard on a dreadnought. My particular combination of fingerstyle, heavy strumming and wide dynamics, makes capturing my style of playing a bit difficult.
I kept thinking about this and it does make sense. The mics I use are in cardiod, so basically they are blind to the back of them, but I have panels behind them (and in front of the guitar) to stop sound from being bounced around the room. The sound from the guitar, that goes behind me hits the wall (which is pretty close), bounces off and then is picked up by the mics. So...... I ordered two more panels to put behind me.

I will tell my wife after they are delivered. It's easier to ask forgiveness....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD