The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-01-2022, 04:56 PM

Default How good does a DIY partscaster sound?

Hey all. Iv become reactive (tinnitus) to vibration and need to switch to electric.
I'v found an ebony telecaster neck on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, new made somewhere. Also an American unfinished body for 200 bucks. But I was going to build it from these and do all my own electronics, I can do that.
But this all said how good would something like this sound? And how well would it play. Amusing I put it together like a pro.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Hey all. Iv become reactive (tinnitus) to vibration and need to switch to electric.
I'v found an ebony telecaster neck on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, new made somewhere. Also an American unfinished body for 200 bucks. But I was going to build it from these and do all my own electronics, I can do that.
But this all said how good would something like this sound? And how well would it play. Amusing I put it together like a pro.
It will sound as good as what you choose to put into it. I had a couple of MIMs that I made thinline bodies for and modified with Texas Specials and other things.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:51 PM

Right on so the electronics really count? Well Im good at that at least. Im so used to the construction of a guitar being important for a acoustic.
Iv hear the neck is really important on an electric guitar.
Those look great, those are partscasters you made? Sound good?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:13 PM

Good wood plus good electronics can be as good as production guitar you can buy. I've assembled several Warmoth projects that are amazing for people. I highly recommend their parts.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Right on so the electronics really count? Well Im good at that at least. Im so used to the construction of a guitar being important for a acoustic.
The pickups are really the heart n' soul of an electric, but you have to couple that with good construction techniques.

Yes, the neck is "really important". Both of the Teles shown were purchased as MIM stock and then heavily modified. About the only thing on either guitar that's original are the necks, which were vastly better than the Made In America Fenders at the time they were built.

Both of these have hollow body structures that I made to reduce weight and use figured woods. A solidly built lightweight Tele was my goal because I disliked wearing a boat anchor around my neck for a three hour gig.

Yes, they both sounded great. If you build a parts guitar and it doesn't sound great then there's not much of a point in doing it.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

When Warmoth started doing shootouts, the results pretty much flipped the idea that the neck matters more than the body in an electric's tone. Warm tone woods like mahogany or rosewood vs say maple or ash in the body are quite audible.

Beyond that, choice of pickups is probably more important to fundamental (pun intended) tone.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I am no expert, but think that there are a few important considerations.

The neck has functions in playability and tone through fretting and the nut. If the neck profile feels good to play, then what is important is that the frets are just right, the nut is right and the neck sets properly in the body. Even a cheap neck can be made to be great, but they all require fret and nut jobs.

The other most important piece is the pickups. They make the sound after all. Then the bridge, which has to again be in the right place and adjusted correctly. Fortunately most electric bridges are pretty adjustable.

Electronics will color the sound just a little, but bad electronics poorly installed will suck.

Tone woods are nuance and affect the flavor of the guitar, but there is not much wrong here (just preference) unless you use really inferior wood or rout it incorrectly.

So in my mind, I boils down to a well set up guitar with good frets and the pickups.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Partscasters can sound as good as any brand name, depending on puckups etc. They do tend to have low resale though,

If you are used to acoustic construction, why not build the neck and body from scratch? There are free Tele plans on the web. Shouldn't take more than about $50 for wood. A router does most of the work.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys. After what you said Im now thinking of picking up a used tele on reverb. I cant use power tools. And the time I put into building it I could be playing. As of now the vibration from my acoustic sets off my tinnitus.
I really was looking for a custom personalized sound and built by my self.
Kinda like Jimi Hendrix making is own pedals.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:19 AM

Have you tried using a tinnitus masking program?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I have a very nicely playing strat I bought beat up and used for $30. Then I replaced and dressed all the frets, replaced the old electronics and adjusted the bridge and pickups. It plays really well for probably less than$100. You just need to find good bones.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:31 AM

Leo Fender's great innovation was to make his guitar designs modular. He did it for ease of manufacture and warranty work, but it's become more than that over the decades.

Yes, they can sound good. Yes, woods matter a bit--and not just for sound. You're going to be playing on that neck. I happen to like ebony fret boards for feel, but with jumbo frets the board's feel becomes moot. Guitar balance is another factor. Neck diving can be annoying. Heavy guitars reduce enjoyment for me.

Pickups are key. Electronics less so, though there are mods with the circuitry that can add neat features. Given that quality parts (pots and the like) are fairly inexpensive, you might as well fly first class however.

Getting everything in neck angle and action dead solid perfect is not a gimmie, even if in theory it's just a matter of attaching the neck to the body.

As someone mentioned above, resale values tend to be low for partscasters. I have an American Tele (in effect) that I bought for a good price with a 90s American Tele neck and tuners and a Fender 52 RI body, pickups, bridge etc. Either the guitar the neck came from or the 52 RI that supplied the body would have sold for more than my unique combination did.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-03-2022, 04:32 PM

Cool thanks guys. Oh yes I have two Snooze white noise machines and a sound oasis. Its so loud they help a little. Fractals are pretty interesting although annoying to listen to.

So now Im really liking the idea of picking up a beat up teli on reverb and replacing stuff. Setting the action doesnt worry me but being a martin guy setting the neck angle scares me, truss rod and all. The only problem with neck thats used would be fret wear, why I liked that ebony fret board chepo on ebay.

The modular thing was what got me into this partscastor project. You can buy vintage necks on reverb too. I also thought that about capacitors and potentiometers being cheep and you could get really good ones. Pickups you could go vintage as well for a unique sound. I like every ones ideas. Im just trying to think "what would Jimi Hendrix do"?
Old 07-03-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Cool thanks guys. Oh yes I have two Snooze white noise machines and a sound oasis. Its so loud they help a little. Fractals are pretty interesting although annoying to listen to.

So now Im really liking the idea of picking up a beat up teli on reverb and replacing stuff. Setting the action doesnt worry me but being a martin guy setting the neck angle scares me, truss rod and all. The only problem with neck thats used would be fret wear, why I liked that ebony fret board chepo on ebay.

The modular thing was what got me into this partscastor project. You can buy vintage necks on reverb too. I also thought that about capacitors and potentiometers being cheep and you could get really good ones. Pickups you could go vintage as well for a unique sound. I like every ones ideas. Im just trying to think "what would Jimi Hendrix do"?
First thing, use a Strat.

The truss rod has nothing to do with setting neck angle, and that's not usually necessary on a Tele. If it is then the heel bottom is tapered or the pocket is shimmed.

A cheap eBay neck may very well develop problems like loose or lifting frets that are far more problematic than a bit of fret wear. Beware of the ones that are made in Viet Nam, they have a history of becoming unplayable after they leave their country of origin. Take off necks from Reverb or other places might be fine, but do ask yourself why it's for sale. If it came off another instrument there's probably a reason. Bargains often aren't.

There's no sense in throwing your money away.Caps and pots are inexpensive, but don't look for that to have a noticeable effect on sound. Quality pots will have less mechanical noise, etc. but once they are positioned then they have little effect.

Good pickups like Lollar, Rio Grande, etc. are most likely going to cost more than your "beat up Tele". A new MIM won't cost you much more, and you won't be starting with junk.

If you want to spend a WHOLE lot less you can buy a Squier Tele for less than $200 brand new, and that includes free shipping.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but this isn't a path that hasn't already been explored by others.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-03-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:43 PM

Im thinking a "fair" condition American teli from reverb. Something that may need tuners or dinged up, screwed up electronics. The problem will be fret wear. Kinda would like to get a rosewood fret board too.

Save up and get something I could start with and improve on the electronics department. Its good advice and good so see where others have failed so I dont make the same mistake. I just miss playing soo much I need to get going again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair