The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-29-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations at taking your first couple of shots at instrumental playing, Neil. Good for you for going after some ideas.

I think you have received good advice, above, so I will not repeat, except to note Island Guitar's comments about preparation and practice. It can take a fair amount of time to really learn to become accurate and to impart emotions through the strings of a guitar. It takes time to develop the coordination and timing needed.

I remember Tommy Emmanuel talking about this issue at a workshop. He said that often he will actually feel embarrassed when listening to one of his recordings of a piece from 10 years earlier. He commented that each of his pieces go through a lot of development over the years.

I also remember that when Andres Segovia worked on a new piece, he would spend close to a year playing and practicing it before performing it out in public.

Things take time, even for the very best of players. But it's good that you have dived in and tried something, as you have done a couple of times here. It's quite a challenge to come up with really good sounding instrumental pieces on the guitar. You're on you way, Neil!

- Glenn
Old 06-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Congratulations at taking your first couple of shots at instrumental playing, Neil. Good for you for going after some ideas.

I think you have received good advice, above, so I will not repeat, except to note Island Guitar's comments about preparation and practice. It can take a fair amount of time to really learn to become accurate and to impart emotions through the strings of a guitar. It takes time to develop the coordination and timing needed.

I remember Tommy Emmanuel talking about this issue at a workshop. He said that often he will actually feel embarrassed when listening to one of his recordings of a piece from 10 years earlier. He commented that each of his pieces go through a lot of development over the years.

I also remember that when Andres Segovia worked on a new piece, he would spend close to a year playing and practicing it before performing it out in public.

Things take time, even for the very best of players. But it's good that you have dived in and tried something, as you have done a couple of times here. It's quite a challenge to come up with really good sounding instrumental pieces on the guitar. You're on you way, Neil!

- Glenn
Thanks very much Glenn. I can definitely empathise with Tommy - I feel embarrassed listening to my recordings from ten days ago, never mind ten years!

Will keep working on this piece and maybe post my progress in future.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:27 PM

A good reminder from Glenn via TE!

One other TE comment I picked up on years ago....(not a direct quote) was something to the effect of: "Say what you want to say and then get out". I think that's very important advice these days which will help build, but not over extend a piece beyond its rightful length and message.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-29-2022, 01:38 PM

My feedback is about execution rather than composition.

I think the reason you are getting many comments about slowing down is not because it is too fast per se, but the rhythm is tense and inconsistent to some listeners.

I hear you pushing ahead of the beat in many places, which can result in most notes being disconnected from the underlying rhythm. Slowing down won't magically cure this but will make it easier for you to hear (and correct).

To put it in gymnastic terms, you are not 'sticking your landings' often enough.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-29-2022, 04:21 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
My feedback is about execution rather than composition.

I think the reason you are getting many comments about slowing down is not because it is too fast per se, but the rhythm is tense and inconsistent to some listeners.

I hear you pushing ahead of the beat in many places, which can result in most notes being disconnected from the underlying rhythm. Slowing down won't magically cure this but will make it easier for you to hear (and correct).

To put it in gymnastic terms, you are not 'sticking your landings' often enough.
Thanks for your feedback. I’m certainly no gymnast but I see where you are coming from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell