The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-12-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Even though I rarely play it, my first guitar has great sentimental value to me.

When the bridge lifted, I went through several luthiers who said “it will cost more to fix this than the guitar is worth”. Although that was completely true, I ended up paying something like $100 to get the bridge fixed on a $75 guitar. (It was a looooong time ago

Worth every penny.

Then again, if your cost conscious dad is willing to buy you a replacement guitar to avoid having you overspend on a repair then that’s “a whole nutha thang”
Old 06-12-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Even though I rarely play it, my first guitar has great sentimental value to me.

When the bridge lifted, I went through several luthiers who said “it will cost more to fix this than the guitar is worth”. Although that was completely true, I ended up paying something like $100 to get the bridge fixed on a $75 guitar. (It was a looooong time ago

Worth every penny.

Then again, if your cost conscious dad is willing to buy you a replacement guitar to avoid having you overspend on a repair then that’s “a whole nutha thang”
Whoa. $75! Nice. What is the git? That reminds me of the first epiphone electric I had in the mid 90s. I think that was $99.

Hehehe. Dad is an old man now these days. But repair or new is sorta a non-issue since the guitar plays and resonates perfectly still and I’ve been playing it this way for several years now. Is really just a cosmetic concern …itd be nice to but…. This forum is what I hoped it would be though, in this instance, a place to to get an understanding of the problem and it’s possible solutions.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:22 AM

It looks like the crack is pretty clean in that there are no missing pieces, it appears to be clear of the bracing, so I think a qualified repair person would just need to glue it up and place a few "cleats" to reinforce the repaired area on the inside. What you may consider is to repair the crack but not worry about finish touch-up, that is what I would do. I don't think the crack will be very noticeable once it's closed up. That could save substantially on repairs, I'd guess you'd be looking at somewhere between $100 and $200.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair