The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-15-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

This is only my example, on an X10 (1 11/16" nut width) from 2018. I did custom order it with a shorter scale, 24.6". Using a digital caliper, I came up with:

1st fret: 1.8" width, .83" depth
5th fret: 1.95" width, .85" depth
12th fret: 2.2" width, .9" depth

Stock necks and newer design may be different.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
I’ve asked Emerald for neck measurements up and down the neck, trying to know exactly what “narrower neck” means, but was never given an answer.
I just saw that Emerald has set up a ‘Book a Call’ option which might be a good option for you to pursue:

https://emeraldguitars.com/book-a-call/
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-16-2022, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This is only my example, on an X10 (1 11/16" nut width) from 2018. I did custom order it with a shorter scale, 24.6". Using a digital caliper, I came up with:

Hope that helps.
Thank you Jim. It's at least something I can compare and point to, which is a step closer. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Vince
Old 05-17-2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, Captain! Very helpful information. However, the first fret nut width appears wider than a 1 11/16th, which should be around 1.68 or so, unless my math skills fail me. Is it wider because Emerald just shapes their necks wider than their stated specs? See post #17 in this thread with info and photo by KevinH.

Not trying to get into an internet squabble; I’m sold on Emerald quality and tone and respect their business model and innovation. That said, no company is perfect. Emerald seems to listen to customers’ feedback so hopefully this is something that gets updated on their website (in addition to descriptions of their pickup systems).
Old 05-17-2022, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Captain! Very helpful information. However, the first fret nut width appears wider than a 1 11/16th, which should be around 1.68 or so, unless my math skills fail me. Is it wider because Emerald just shapes their necks wider than their stated specs? See post #17 in this thread with info and photo by KevinH.
Look again - Jim said the nut width is 1.68”, and the width at the *1st fret* is 1.8”.

For another example, here are the width measurements from my stock X20:

Nut: 1.78”
1st fret: 1.83”
5th fret: 2.03”
12th fret: 2.29”
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-18-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:51 PM

Ah, got it. Thanks for the correction!
Old 05-17-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Look again - Jim said the nut width is “1.68”, and the width at the *1st fret* is 1.8”.

For another example, here are the width measurements from my stock X20:

Nut: 1.78”
1st fret: 1.83”
5th fret: 2.03”
12th fret: 2.29”
Right, so for your X20 guitar the width difference between nut and 1st fret is 0.05", and for the guitar Jim measured the difference is 0.12": more than twice as much. I've been thinking about getting an Emerald X10 because I want a 1 11/16" nut, but that won't help if the neck itself is wider than a typical guitar with a 1 3/4" nut.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 05-17-2022, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
Right, so for your X20 guitar the width difference between nut and 1st fret is 0.05", and for the guitar Jim measured the difference is 0.12": more than twice as much. I've been thinking about getting an Emerald X10 because I want a 1 11/16" nut, but that won't help if the neck itself is wider than a typical guitar with a 1 3/4" nut.
If you look at what I measured, and what David measured, the neck on my X10 is not wider than the X20. I have an X20 I can measure, but I can tell you the neck on my X10 (1 11/16" nut) is narrower than on my X20 (1 3/4" nut). Interestingly enough, I have no issue going back and forth between those two.

For the better part of a decade, I was convinced that only a "Taylor neck" would work for me. I have a variety of guitars and am able to play each in a moderately average manner... that's on me, not the neck shapes.

Each of my Emerald necks is different, and are among my favorites.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you look at what I measured, and what David measured, the neck on my X10 is not wider than the X20. I have an X20 I can measure, but I can tell you the neck on my X10 (1 11/16" nut) is narrower than on my X20 (1 3/4" nut). Interestingly enough, I have no issue going back and forth between those two.

For the better part of a decade, I was convinced that only a "Taylor neck" would work for me. I have a variety of guitars and am able to play each in a moderately average manner... that's on me, not the neck shapes.

Each of my Emerald necks is different, and are among my favorites.
Really appreciate your thoughts Jim, since you have both. Like you, I love the Taylor neck profile but have adjusted to the X20. But I am thinking of the future, as I progress into my golden years and want to get a special X20 that I can enjoy playing for my remaining years. Buying and selling just isn’t as fun anymore for me so this custom order will likely be my last.

With that in mind, One last question (famous last words), on your X10 with the 1 11/16” nut width, is the bridge spacing still 2 1/4”?

Thanks
Vince
Old 05-18-2022, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Really appreciate your thoughts Jim, since you have both. Like you, I love the Taylor neck profile but have adjusted to the X20. But I am thinking of the future, as I progress into my golden years and want to get a special X20 that I can enjoy playing for my remaining years. Buying and selling just isn’t as fun anymore for me so this custom order will likely be my last.

With that in mind, One last question (famous last words), on your X10 with the 1 11/16” nut width, is the bridge spacing still 2 1/4”?

Thanks
Vince
One last answer: it is 2.25" on mine. That said, I am not, nor have I ever been, employed or compensated by Emerald. They would be the ones to ask about any current production specs. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Caveat Emptor. You snooze, you loose. You can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him float on his back, you really got something. Since I am firmly into those "golden years," I can vouch for the saying: "Buy the guitar - you never know."
Old 05-19-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this, Kevin. The photo perfectly illustrates the point - and explains why the X30 I tried with a 1 3/4 nut felt so much wider than my CA Legacy with an identical nut width.
I would like to see an Emerald neck that follows the string path up the neck. All Emeralds I have experienced start with a wide fretboard and get progressively wider up the neck, the edges of the fretboard not paralleling the string path at all.

Not sure why this is but Emerald's width outside the string path (shoulders?) are quite different than any of my wood guitars. I don't know why this seems to be their "thing" by design or some other reason.

Not sure if it is easily customizable, but I think there is still a lot of handwork involved in the raw necks coming out of the mold @ Emerald. Would think it is as doable as the new custom fretboard radii.

Curious why this is so apparent:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedCapture_LI.jpg (16.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg InkedX20-mp-9_LI.jpg (35.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg emerald x30.jpg (23.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 2022-05-20_16-46-25.jpg (15.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2022-05-20_16-56-15.jpg (12.7 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by redi; 05-20-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One last answer: it is 2.25" on mine. That said, I am not, nor have I ever been, employed or compensated by Emerald. They would be the ones to ask about any current production specs. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Caveat Emptor. You snooze, you loose. You can lead a horse to water, but if you can make him float on his back, you really got something. Since I am firmly into those "golden years," I can vouch for the saying: "Buy the guitar - you never know."
Thanks for the one last answer and a laugh.

I will be scheduling an appointment soon so maybe I can get a nice Christmas present this year
Old 05-20-2022, 03:40 PM

“When in doubt, don’t,” is an adage that’s saved me more than once, and a major reason why I haven’t bought an Emerald yet.

Thanks, redi, for the post with photos pointing out the issue with the extra width or shoulders on their necks. It may not bother some folks, and I’m glad if it doesn’t, but it did me when playing that X30. I don’t like the idea of paying $3000-3500 for a guitar and hoping it’s playable for me. Captain Jim’s X10 neck specs probably give me the best idea if their 1 11/16th neck width will work for me.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, redi, for the post with photos pointing out the issue with the extra width or shoulders on their necks. It may not bother some folks, and I’m glad if it doesn’t, but it did me when playing that X30. I don’t like the idea of paying $3000-3500 for a guitar and hoping it’s playable for me. Captain Jim’s X10 neck specs probably give me the best idea if their 1 11/16th neck width will work for me.
I enjoy playing mine but Emerald's fretboard width is certainly an outlier in this regard. I would love to have a no cost no-shoulder neck and I might even repurchase a few if that were the case.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

When I ordered my X20 I insisted to get a narrower fretboard up the neck (56mm at the 14th fret) with the low E running parallel to the edge.
The guitar came exactly as expected, with low E easy to thumb-fret and high E running a bit further from the edge up the neck.
It might not matter to many, but for me it made a significant difference in playability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAB81F11-7964-450D-9953-266BCED257B9.jpg (58.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg A5AAA292-95F7-4292-8AA5-ACAEC8CC928B.jpg (48.0 KB, 78 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber