The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Emerald X20 & X30 - Order Spec Questions

I had the chance to try an Emerald X30 with a stunning Padauk veneer top at a local shop recently and was blown away by its deep, rich, full-range tones and amazing projection. It was my first experience with an Emerald and I found it far superior to any other carbon fiber I’d played, to include the CA Legacy I have.

I’m thinking of ordering an Emerald X20 with a pau ferro veneer, trinity knot inlays, but with a more narrow nut width, 1 11/16th instead of their standard 1 3/4, which I found a bit too wide. I’m also planning to order it without a pickup and then installing an Anthem, which involves a slight mod at the sound hole.

Any experiences with these two neck widths? I’ve also asked Kevin whether it’s possible to order a more narrow neck profile for an X20, though I suspect not. Anything I should consider as I put my order together based on your Emerald experiences, whether it involves neck profile, pickup systems or anything else? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Quintus; 04-25-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you have a perfectly feasible plan there, with the probable exception of the neck profile. The change in width is a standard option now, but custom profiles are likely still out of scope.

For the pickup, I’d suggest asking that they do the prep for it, so that you can add the mic and the controls without having to do any fillling/filing/flattening to get the surfaces you need.

You can but ask - they can always say ‘no’, but may surprise you.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-07-2022, 06:59 PM

If you loved the X30, why go out on a limb and order the X20? It will be different, after all.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Sounds like you have a perfectly feasible plan there, with the probable exception of the neck profile. The change in width is a standard option now, but custom profiles are likely still out of scope.

For the pickup, I’d suggest asking that they do the prep for it, so that you can add the mic and the controls without having to do any fillling/filing/flattening to get the surfaces you need.

You can but ask - they can always say ‘no’, but may surprise you.
Thanks, David. I’ve emailed Kevin about whether I could get a smaller neck profile, but no response yet. Also, great point about the pickup. I asked him whether they could mod the sound hole/guitar to fit the LR Baggs Anthem unit. I know that unit will need to be built up to fit it correctly, otherwise the lip on the sound hole gets in the way. (The Anthem SL version will fit just fine, but that only has a volume control, not tone as well. They used to carry the Anthem but don’t currently offer it as an option.)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
If you loved the X30, why go out on a limb and order the X20? It will be different, after all.
Fair point. I’m thinking if I bond with the narrower neck width, I’ll get a X30 as well. I’m also thinking that the X20 is more familiar in terms of its size. Now that I think about it though, it probably makes more sense to just order a no-frills X20 and make sure I like the neck rather than pay for one that’s maxed out with a veneer top and knot inlays. You now see why I need a brain trust. Helps to think through all the options.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
Now that I think about it though, it probably makes more sense to just order a no-frills X20 and make sure I like the neck rather than pay for one that’s maxed out with a veneer top and knot inlays...
Excellent idea. Emerald offers a dizzying array of options which is great if you know exactly what you want...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-07-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Excellent idea. Emerald offers a dizzying array of options which is great if you know exactly what you want...
Dizzying is right. BTW, I did a Masters program at University of Virginia. Such a beautiful place to live. Our family did NOT want to leave that place. As fate would have it, our daughter ended up completing her Bachelors at UVA.

Last edited by Quintus; 02-08-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:06 AM

Just my two cents but you seemed to have fallen in love with the sound of the X30. “ I was blown away by its deep rich full range tones and amazing projection. Better then any other carbon fiber guitar I have ever played”.

If I fell in love with the sound of a Gibson SJ200 I wouldn’t buy the smaller Gibson Songwriter, it would be too sonically different to make me go WOW like the bigger instrument did. This is just me thinking out loud, I love Emeralds and can see one in my future. Good luck with all the mods, I like a 1-11/16 nut width myself.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dizzying is right. BTW, I did a Masters program at University of Virginia. Such a beautiful place to live. Our family did NOT want to leave that place. As fate would have it, our daughter ended up completing her Bachelors at UVA.
It's a great school and a nice town although I've never taken a class there and live outside of town in the woods...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-10-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Just my two cents but you seemed to have fallen in love with the sound of the X30. “ I was blown away by its deep rich full range tones and amazing projection. Better then any other carbon fiber guitar I have ever played”.

If I fell in love with the sound of a Gibson SJ200 I wouldn’t buy the smaller Gibson Songwriter, it would be too sonically different to make me go WOW like the bigger instrument did. This is just me thinking out loud, I love Emeralds and can see one in my future. Good luck with all the mods, I like a 1-11/16 nut width myself.
You make a good point. I’m probably overthinking this. I’’m thinking that an X20 would be easier to sell and perhaps have easier playability than a jumbo X30. Then if I like the neck, I’ll get an X30 as well. Maybe this is a wrong assumption on my part.

Another option would be to buy an X7 with the narrow nut, then get a X30. This would make sense because I already have a dreadnaught CA Legacy. I’m an extrovert so it helps to air this out with you guys.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It's a great school and a nice town although I've never taken a class there and live outside of town in the woods...
Beautiful countryside in that area. You’re fortunate to live there.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You make a good point. I’m probably overthinking this. I’’m thinking that an X20 would be easier to sell and perhaps have easier playability than a jumbo X30. Then if I like the neck, I’ll get an X30 as well. Maybe this is a wrong assumption on my part.

Another option would be to buy an X7 with the narrow nut, then get a X30. This would make sense because I already have a dreadnaught CA Legacy. I’m an extrovert so it helps to air this out with you guys.
FWIW I previously owned an X30 and found it too boomy to be of use for the music I like to play. By contrast, I've been loving my X20 and enjoying playing it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-10-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
FWIW I previously owned an X30 and found it too boomy to be of use for the music I like to play. By contrast, I've been loving my X20 and enjoying playing it...
My big concern is the neck width. As you know, Emerald doesn’t give you the option to choose a smaller neck profile. According to Kevin at Emerald, getting the more narrow nut makes the neck feel smaller. I hope this works for me. I’ve been leaning towards the X20 thinking the smaller body would also provide easier playability. The X30 I played was fine playing cowboy chords but I struggled playing up the neck and on barre chords. Since I’m buying before trying there’s plenty of guesswork in all this so I appreciate whatever insight folks have.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post

Thanks! I’ll keep everyone posted when I finally buy and try it out.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I don’t think anyone has suggested this yet - but maybe there’s an Emerald owner in your part of the world who would let you try their X20.

I’ve done this with mine four times now, and have ‘sold’ three as a result - and met some really nice folks in doing so.

If you care to let us know where you are, perhaps someone could oblige.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber