The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Can’t say that I’ve ever gotten a good deal, but I’ve given plenty when selling. If I like you I’ll give you a deal without your asking. If I don’t, when you ask what’s the least I’ll take I’ll ask you what’s the most you’ll pay.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:02 PM

Back in 1991 I answered a newspaper ad that only said, "Guitar for sale."

That night I bought an incredible 1953 "Blackguard" Fender Telecaster with its original tweed case for $300.

You read that right.

I played it until around 2007 and sold it for big bucks.

You never know...
Old 07-02-2022, 01:14 PM

Whenever I drive around and see yard sale signs I always do a quick drive by to see if I see any guitars happen to be laid out.

But, I have always played out a particular scenario in my mind should I run into an uncomfortable situation. For instance, an elderly person without much internet acumen selling an old guitar found in the attic.

If I ran into a vintage guitar in excellent condition going for $25 bucks I imagine that I would pull the person aside and ask them to take the guitar back in the house. Then go back later and let them know its a very valuable instrument and offer them a reasonable price for it. Don't get me wrong.....I would still be looking for a really sweet deal. But the idea that I would be paying peanuts for an extremely valuable guitar from a person who is:

A) Unaware of the instruments value and
B) Probably advanced in years and could really use the money to avoid cutting their daily medications in half so they could buy food

That really would make owning that guitar at $25 really expensive in terms of feeling like a really bad human being.

Just sayin
Old 07-02-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I don't want this to sound like a downer, but...

When my older brother Tony was diagnosed with cancer he sent his medical info to his life insurance company... he had an accelerated death benefit rider and his insurance company sent him a check. Yeah, it was that bad.

He was my main guitar mentor. He started playing at 15 years old and started writing songs at around 17. I started playing at 15 years old and learned from watching him, one of my uncles, and other musician friends that would gather and play... we never had a lot of money, so we played what could get our hands on.

While visiting with him one day after he'd received an insurance check he told me he finally went and bought a quality guitar. He asked me to guess what he bought. I thought about it for a moment and said "I would guess you bought a Martin".

He brought out a Martin 000-28EC and handed it to me. We played together for a while, and then he said "I want you to know that when I'm gone, it's yours."

So, that 000-28EC you see in my sig line cost me nothing. And also everything.

You are fortunate to have had such a man as a brother…
Old 07-02-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post
Wow, some of the deals seem gross, I mean just taking advantage of a seller because they done have a full idea of the value of the piece that they are selling,, robbery is robbery
If a seller and a buyer come to a agreed upon price, how is that robbery? It is up the individual who is selling and or the buyer to educate themselves as to what they wish to ask or offer for said item.....Robbery?
Old 07-02-2022, 02:24 PM

I went to Gearfest at Sweetwater 5 or 6 years ago. In the Open Box sale tent - under a spotlight - calling my name was a Taylor 552 12 string. The price on it was $1900, but the sales guy sidled up and said, "I can do better than that."

I offered $1750, which was accepted. (Gearfest prices usually can go 10% below what is marked, it seems, so I could have gone a bit lower, probably.

I wound up getting the guitar, which at that time retailed for about $2700.

D.H.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I don't want this to sound like a downer, but...

When my older brother Tony was diagnosed with cancer he sent his medical info to his life insurance company... he had an accelerated death benefit rider and his insurance company sent him a check. Yeah, it was that bad.

He was my main guitar mentor. He started playing at 15 years old and started writing songs at around 17. I started playing at 15 years old and learned from watching him, one of my uncles, and other musician friends that would gather and play... we never had a lot of money, so we played what could get our hands on.

While visiting with him one day after he'd received an insurance check he told me he finally went and bought a quality guitar. He asked me to guess what he bought. I thought about it for a moment and said "I would guess you bought a Martin".

He brought out a Martin 000-28EC and handed it to me. We played together for a while, and then he said "I want you to know that when I'm gone, it's yours."

So, that 000-28EC you see in my sig line cost me nothing. And also everything.
May your brother Tony RIP. He sounded like a he was a good soul, sorry for your loss.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
If a seller and a buyer come to a agreed upon price, how is that robbery? It is up the individual who is selling and or the buyer to educate themselves as to what they wish to ask or offer for said item.....Robbery?
Just a for instance, you buy 2000 dollar axe for 150 bucks.. then that's a great deal... but if the seller never knew what they had.. then it's robbery,, you are taking advantage of the seller.. it's a great deal but you should tell the seller I would think... but gray areas can differ from person to person.. some folks think "hey look at the deal I got on this 50s strat! I only paid 300 for it,, the widow never knew what she had... yea it's a great deal but... still ?. Really?
Old 07-02-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Just a for instance, you buy 2000 dollar axe for 150 bucks.. then that's a great deal... but if the seller never knew what they had.. then it's robbery,, you are taking advantage of the seller.. it's a great deal but you should tell the seller I would think... but gray areas can differ from person to person.. some folks think "hey look at the deal I got on this 50s strat! I only paid 300 for it,, the widow never knew what she had... yea it's a great deal but... still ?. Really?
Your argument makes no sense, according what you are saying. If someone is selling a $2000 guitar for $150.00 why are you not telling the seller " hey this guitar is worth much more I will give you what would be closer to it's actual value " is this not taking advantage of someone?

Last edited by Bridgepin; 07-02-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:08 PM

1967 Gibson SG jr. $35
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 07-02-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
Your argument makes no sense, according what you are saying. If someone is selling a $2000 guitar for $150.00 why are you not telling the seller " hey this guitar is worth much more I will give you what would be closer to it's actual value " is this not taking advantage of someone?
Because if they are unknowing selling something at such a low price it's gross to take andvantage of that,, perhaps that start was her husband or dead sons.. perhaps she could have used that money.. like I said perhaps it's a great deal.. but it's a bit of a skummy way of being human..l. But that's the world we live in now... kinda sad,,, but congrats on the great deal
Old 07-02-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
You are using the wrong word. It’s not robbery. You may see it as unethical, taking advantage of someone but it’s not robbery.
Sellers have a responsibility to know what they’re doing. It’s a very decent buyer who helps one understand the value.
Some sellers don’t care, others may be know it alls who you could care less to help. Each case is different and each person has to do what they feel they can live with. No one is being robbed.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
…So how about you guys? Have you ever stumbled upon a really nice guitar that ended up costing you far less than what it was worth? Or maybe you’re like this young fella and are good at sniffing out great deals regularly. Either way, I’d love to hear about it.
Hi Pd…

Someone gifted me with a $4500 handbuilt guitar. it's still in my collection.

Best deal I ever got.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-02-2022, 06:43 PM

I bought a pawn ticket from an old friend that I used to play music with. It was for his 1959 Gibson ES-355 Stereo with a Bigsby tailpiece and original case for $100. He said that he wanted me to have the guitar because he knew that I liked it and that the ticket would be no good in a few days. I went to the pawn shop the next day and paid $55 to get it out of hock.I would have paid my friend more, but I just didn't have it. I wish that I still had that guitar.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:14 PM

Default I bought a 2012

…Taylor 314ce right here on the Acoustic Guitar Forum for $1100. It was in mint condition, not a scratch or a ding. Still have it, still love it.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion