The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2022, 10:37 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Fender necks

Does fender make a maple neck (ie no rosewood fretboard) that isn’t a baseball bat? What would their profile designation be?

TIA
Old 06-15-2022, 11:17 AM

Absolutely. In fact, most of them are not baseball bats. The general MIM replacement fender necks are not baseball bats unless you go to the vintera modified line (what took the place of the Baja) or one of the original models. The American professional and performer necks are not baseball bats.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:38 PM

oh ya!

Definitely

I just restored a 1973 Jag where the original neck had seen too much abuse to be able to reuse.

I bought a MIM jaguar neck for it, it fit perfectly I love it.

as for profile, it's a C shape from what I can gather but it's not chunky at all. Like my other 3 fenders I guess... that answer is not much help I guess..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 06-21-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, their most common neck currently is a “modern C”, which is about as far from a baseball bat as there is.

-Ray
Old 06-15-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, their most common neck currently is a “modern C”, which is about as far from a baseball bat as there is.

-Ray
I have to disagree with you Ray(which is very rare, by the way). The current Fender Modern C style necks are nothing at all similar to the standard C shape. No, they certainly don't fall into the baseball bat category, but, and it is significant, they are much larger at the shoulder and deeper top to bottom than a standard C. Every neck from the American Professionals to the Ultra Lux line now uses these Modern C carves.
For meaty mitt guys like me, I had to pass and stay with the American Special/Performer lineup still using the old style C necks.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I have to disagree with you Ray(which is very rare, by the way). The current Fender Modern C style necks are nothing at all similar to the standard C shape. No, they certainly don't fall into the baseball bat category, but, and it is significant, they are much larger at the shoulder and deeper top to bottom than a standard C. Every neck from the American Professionals to the Ultra Lux line now uses these Modern C carves.
For meaty mitt guys like me, I had to pass and stay with the American Special/Performer lineup still using the old style C necks.
I like the fatter C shape, that's what's on my Wildwood Thin-skin Jaguar, and I find it less fatiguing than the smaller shape. It's just plain comfortable. It makes it easier to go from my fat neck Gibsons to the Fenders
Old 06-15-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I like the fatter C shape, that's what's on my Wildwood Thin-skin Jaguar, and I find it less fatiguing than the smaller shape. It's just plain comfortable. It makes it easier to go from my fat neck Gibsons to the Fenders
Yeah, cause you’re seven feet tall with 9” fingers. 5X5 old guys like me can’t reach!😂😹😂
Old 06-15-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, cause you’re seven feet tall with 9” fingers. 5X5 old guys like me can’t reach!😂😹😂
I'm only 5' 8" Frank, but I do have longer fingers, maybe not 9" though
The real reason I like the slightly fatter C neck is because my Les Pauls, and J45, are both bigger necks, which I didn't like originally, but have gotten used to. My '54 LP reissue is the biggest of those, and that one can sometimes still be a chore, but man, does it sound good!!!
Old 06-15-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I must have been confusing the nomenclature. I might have thought the modern C and standard C were the same thing. In any case, I've played a few recent Fenders with really thin little necks, which don't work for me at all. Maybe that was the standard C. I like 'em pretty beefy, preferably with a V. I've been playing a Robert Cray hardtail strat for a few years now, which is reputed to have a pretty beefy C. Never felt beefy to me - I replaced it with a fatter soft-V. Just recently got an American Original 50s Strat, which was reputed to have a really beefy soft-V. It's really beefy, but if it's a V, I evidently don't know what a V is. Very comfortable neck, maybe slightly reduced shoulders, but as round on the bottom as any neck I've played.

-Ray
Old 06-15-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I must have been confusing the nomenclature. I might have thought the modern C and standard C were the same thing. In any case, I've played a few recent Fenders with really thin little necks, which don't work for me at all. Maybe that was the standard C. I like 'em pretty beefy, preferably with a V. I've been playing a Robert Cray hardtail strat for a few years now, which is reputed to have a pretty beefy C. Never felt beefy to me - I replaced it with a fatter soft-V. Just recently got an American Original 50s Strat, which was reputed to have a really beefy soft-V. It's really beefy, but if it's a V, I evidently don't know what a V is. Very comfortable neck, maybe slightly reduced shoulders, but as round on the bottom as any neck I've played.

-Ray
Bahahaha! I would be a crying baby if I was forced to play big neck guitars! 🙀😭My hand just aches immediately. 😂😹
All the best Ray!
frank d.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:48 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Thanks y’all. I live in the boonies (hard to try out in person) and am trying to pick a custom shop tele with maple fretboard but not a baseball like the actual mid fifties fender offerings.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:51 PM

I drove the 2 hours today to the 'local' guitar store (L&M) and they had a black Player Strat (white pickguard) with maple fingerboard. It had the usual Strat neck I'm familiar with - it wasn't anywhere near a baseball bat neck.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:01 PM

I like a maple neck on a Strat but not looking to hit one out of the park with it. Must be shred-ready or it's a no-go, although a Babe Ruth sig model would be the exception.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:15 PM

I like my Am Pro II neck on my strat. Was just playing it. I am not a shredder. More blues or blues/jazz type stuff. Oddly, I also like my roasted boat neck on my parts Tele.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:11 AM

Yes 100% they do. My stratocaster is an American Professional and the neck is very slim and easy playing. and yes it is a maple neck.

You just have to play a bunch of them until you find one with a neck that suits your hands. Alot of the custom shop ones i've played tend to have baseball bat necks but the more modern necks they're putting on current models tend to be alot thinner which for me allows for faster playing.

My advice, just get on down to your local music shop and see what's available and try out a bunch of 'em

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars