The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-31-2022, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Just to be clear: I got Steve's point, but I had to read the statement twice to be certain I read what was actually written. That's why I said "it seems". I also didn't think he meant Godins and Campellones are equal in quality, I'm sure Steve is still far too lucid to even joke about such things

But stellar really isn't the term that my Seagull inspires...
Thanks for your clarification.

I think that some of this is relative. I have seen posts from folks that are buying in the lower end of the guitar spectrum, who will post high praise for a Seagull that the person just acquired. Such posts will often speak in terms similar to those used for NGD posts for high end guitars. We read these and simply adjust our interpretation to fit the perspective of the poster.

So, while I wouldn't describe a Seagull as "stellar" in the same sense as I might a Collings or Olson, I can understand somebody using the term who just chose a Seagull over another brand at the same price point because the Seagull was clearly the better guitar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-31-2022, 09:21 PM

No doubt Taylor could produce a decent Laminate Arch back carved or laminate F hole Guitar with their modern CNC capabilities. They have no doubt appraised the landscape with Eastman/Godin and few others already in the mix. What I see is most Guitar players do not approach or play a Arch-top long enough to really get acquainted with them. It does take time to bond with a Arch-top and 90% of the players these days are so used to flat-tops compared to post war times. There is a reason so many Arch-tops were made in those years. The populace was more familiar with those F hole guitars. I would love to see Taylor dive in. Until then. I will play my old Broadway/Zenith/Ritz and S S Stewart. The 3 student grade Arch-tops needed a little tender care and only set me back $550 each. The all carved Broadway more. https://youtu.be/-EUtwyVc18I I play my Arch-tops just as much as my flat-tops now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops