The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow! What a looker!!!

Keep the pics coming. And congrats to the new owner.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul! I'll have more pictures up before I ship it off to Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Beautiful guitar! Great pics. Is that a new stand?
Thanks Dennis! Yes, that's a Padauk stand I'm trying out. I have a gallery show coming up in September and since it's not a situation where people will be able to touch or play I thought I could at least make a stand on a motorized turntable so they could see a guitar all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Awesome! Loving the maple.
Thanks Matthew! Lots of maple on this one. The trim is mostly Macassar Ebony with a little Claro Walnut in the rosette. We are trying to avoid any border issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohnson View Post
Mark, what a sweet display of your fine craftsmanship. totally inspiring. guitars should draw people to want to spend time with them and every time I see your work, I get this overwhelming desire to play one! Some day....... I am really glad this is what you do. Its what you should do. Awesome!
Thanks you Wayne! I imagine we will cross paths in a future show. I having no guitar shows scheduled this year but next year I have some commitments.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 AM

Really a treat to see this one come to life. Such spectacular workmanship and some pretty zippy wood too!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-30-2017, 04:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Really a treat to see this one come to life. Such spectacular workmanship and some pretty zippy wood too!
Thanks for following along ukejon. These quilted maple wood sets really pop when the finish goes on. I'm also happy to see how easily Macassar Ebony works as a rosewood replacement for the trim.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-31-2017, 04:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Final Shots

I've done the final setup on this Greta and it's about ready to be shipped off. I took some final shots to show some more of the details;

It has a Macassar Ebony head plate to go with the Macassar custom tuner buttons.

There is a body wedge for a little more playing comfort;

This neck joins the body at the 13th fret position and you can see the gold Evo frets;

The Macassar Ebony trim includes the binding which worked out quite well as a rosewood replacement. It's a bit harder to bend but, because it's harder wood it actually makes for a better, more protective binding;

Inside that top binding is the softer layers of purfling consisting of soft maple, black wood, and Black Walnut. This type of purfling set up provides a bit of cushion between the harder binding and the softer Sitka top;

This guitar is to compliment a couple rosewood guitars by bringing it's Maple characteristics into the mix.

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-31-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:56 PM

Beautiful job! Off to Germany then right?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Looks like another winner, Mark!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Man, the wood you get blows my mind.... Superb!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful job! Off to Germany then right?
Thanks Tom, That's correct, this one is going to Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks like another winner, Mark!
Thank you Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Man, the wood you get blows my mind.... Superb!
Thanks Diamondave. I've been keeping an eye out for great domestic woods for awhile now. I've also been approached by a number of retiring or downsizing luthiers and other artists/craftsman. I guess word has gotten out that I'm a sucker for beautiful woods. I've said it before, I'm thrilled with the materials I get to work with.

Mark

Old 09-02-2017, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Lullaby Guitar

I've really looked forward to starting up this commission. This one is for a dad to use as a lullaby guitar for his two very young daughters. How great is that!
He already knew he wanted my little Piña model. Now I already consider this my snuggle model. In the shop I often refer to it as my "couch potato guitar". So we're off to a great start. We've already selected many of the woods for right now I'll start with the most important selection being the soundboard.
We're looking for lot's of rich response on this little guitar and are going with one of the Carter Redwood tops. I have a selection to choose from. The best of the Redwoods processed by the Carters were named trees. In this case a top from the "Truly Awesome" tree was selected.
Here is Alicia Carter giving a description of this particular tree and some history;

TA “Truly
Awesome” Log

This log was purchased from a mill on a private ranch. The tree on a slope and was said to have fallen naturally, due to heavy storms, in 1995. The log was one of three, cut 20’ or more from the ground. It was 5 feet in diameter, 17 feet long – an estimated 10,000 lbs of wood. It was hand split in Fall 1998 and the first sets were cut in Spring 1999. Because of its large diameter, it was sometimes possible to get two rings of billets: inner ring and outer ring. All billets split beautifully – very straight. The inner ring sets were naturally cured; they exhibited excellent stiffness to weight and sound characteristics. Soundboards made from this inner ring wood are pale gold with tonal range rivaling that of LS soundboards with a lighter weight. There were only a few of these inner ring billets, as the center of the tree had center or “wind” splits (common in the larger trees) and areas of uneven grain. Billets from the outer ring were bright, blood red when initially spit – very “green.” There were some billets taken from mid-diameter, also. When soundboard sets were dry, they were too “green” to use in guitars. Coloration was streaked and tone undeveloped until soundboards aged, air dried, for several years. As a result, most of the TA log remains in billet form. All soundboards now available were cut between January 1999 and March 2000. Outer ring sets (what is mostly available) are fine grain and stiff; coloration appears streaked before the sets cure, gradually clearing to gold. Sets cut today from mid-range billets should be ready for building when air dried, approximately 2-4 weeks. Sets cut in 1999, mostly from outer ring, have been made into fine guitars with unique redwood tonal characteristics: warmth of sound combined with clarity and broad tonal range and color.

How about some pictures?

You can see this is was rated by the Carters as AAAA or master grade

And we're off! There will be a lot more pics to come.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Mark - thanks very much for this build. The process has been great thus far. I very much appreciate your experience and recommendations as we go. I've been having a blast watching your other builds to date. Glad to be a part of one!

Can't wait to play the Pina for my girls! They're still little, so hopefully will have a few years before eye-rolls and objections.

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well NewPicker you can probably tell this is an exciting build for me!

We selected a nice set of Madagascar Rosewood for the back and sides. Between the quality Redwood top and the wonderful tones of Madagascar we'll be able to get a very dynamic guitar here;

Lot's more to come!
Mark

Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Update Pictures

Here are more pictures of the back coming together;

Old 09-07-2017, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Rosette

We kicked some ideas around for the rosette inlay on this lullaby guitar.
Here's the plan;

Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 PM

That rosette is cool, are you going to go 'daytime' on the other side?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
That rosette is cool, are you going to go 'daytime' on the other side?
That originally was the intent. I thought it was a great idea but, the further I got into it the more I realized that it was a great idea for maybe a grandfather clock. I just couldn't pull the look that far away from a guitar. Besides lullabies are about it being night and going to bed after all.

We went with a mother of pearl moon and Holly stars on a darker, very figured Koa ring surrounded by abalone;

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop