The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Semi hollows have their own thing going one. And you know, the original old Gibson ES-335 not only set the mark but really does it well. Can't argue with it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 AM

I have an Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow and like it a lot. No building flaws that I could find, electronics work perfectly, and it has a beautiful burst (which they don't make any longer...at least not this year's models).

Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Semi hollows have their own thing going one. And you know, the original old Gibson ES-335 not only set the mark but really does it well. Can't argue with it.

Bob
Can't argue that. I made an escape to Dave's Friday and sat surrounded by 40+ ES-3xx not including any Epiphones. Add many other semi-hollow and the about a dozen Collings electrics. Dave's is pretty much electric guitar guitar wet spot in the pants and probably one of the most incredible acoustic shops too.

Many of the Gibsons have finish issues you would not expect for the prices but a few 59 style ES-335 had incredible tone and hate to admit it, but in their own league. A few of the Collings were also absolutely incredible. Like acoustics and many fine things in life you can say there are diminishing returns as you spend but a few of those ES-3xx and the Collings were as amazing.

I know this is about budgets modest by comparison and Dave's is worth noting because the moderately priced (all the stock) guitars are also set up well and in find condition.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I have an Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow and like it a lot. No building flaws that I could find, electronics work perfectly, and it has a beautiful burst (which they don't make any longer...at least not this year's models).

hb35 is in a higher category considering the woods only

https://www.google.gr/search?q=washb...10%3B660%3B495
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM

I've owned three different ES-335's over the years (a '67, '80, and my current '07). All were/are GREAT guitars that I feel are worth every penny I paid for them. Here's a pic of my '07 with it's fabulous STETSBAR tremolo:

With an honorable mention to the fantastic DeArmond T-400, even my ES-335 wouldn't replace the best electric I've ever played and the sound I love the most... my 1960 Harmony Meteor:

Yes, the Meteor is a hollwbody, but those old "Gold Foil" DeArmond pickups yield a tone that is literally PERFECT for my ear. It's absolutely the last electric I'd ever part with.

Bill
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

If you can get your hands on a Reverend Pete Anderson Signature, try it...I played pretty much every sub-1K hollowbody, Epi (dot, sheraton, joe pass emperor), the Gretsch 52xx series, Ibanez, Godin, Even a hagstrom and the Reverend Pa-1 won out. P90 pickups sound good clean and dirty, doesn't feed back - even overdriven, has a Bigsby, nice neck and easy playability. Pretty much my favorite electric I've ever owned!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
Last year, I quite thoroughly shopped the semi-hollow market. I wanted a light weight, quality instrument with humbucker pickups. I found that I did not like the size of the 335, nor the weight of the 335. I settled on a PRS SE Custom semi-hollow. Bought it new, have loved it. It has served me well. Now I am ready to move on to a Gibson es339. I will be selling my PRS SE Custom semi-hollow (shameless plug). pm me if interested. Good luck in your search. michael s.
Until recently, I had a 60's vintage Guild SF-4...a very nice 335 copy, btw...which is now a bit closer to you in Geneva, as it happens. Still own a PRS SE Semi-hollow....very nice, light, and lively, suits me a bit more than a Tele thin-line, which you might also consider, depending on your tastes.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I had a PRS Semi Hollow last year that I really liked except it was a bit too delicate overall. I recently acquired a Epiphone AlleyKat that is very cool but just too big for me. I am thinking about a Fender Thinline Telle(Modern Player) or maybe something more left of center like a Jazz Master.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM

For someone coming from classical guitar, going to a semi hollow is a pretty big leap. If the idea is to be able to play in a loud band without feedback problems, then they are a good choice; however if the forseeable future involves playing solo, I would suggest looking at a fully hollow electric. They are lighter and more acoustically responsive, like a halfway point between an acoustic and a 335 type guitar with a solid center block.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM

In the $700 price range for semi-hollow body, how about a Gretsch?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Exactly my thoughts. I've been looking around and the Gretsch G5120 seems to be a great guitar without spending 2-4 times more money for a Gibby, and its pickups, build and playability some say may be better than Epi's. Its Korean, I know, but would be interested in hearing from someone who's played the Epi's vs the Korean Gretsch and maybe Korean Gretsch vs higher priced Gretschs. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 06:45 AM

I can only add that Feist and other singer songwriters are using Gretzsch now almost exclusively. It has become a kind of gold standard for alot of Indie artists too.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Nothing and I mean nothing, beats the industry standard ES335.

Expensive... you betcha, however worth every penny if/when you find a good one.

Inconsistent... absolutely. Play as many as you are able to.

Infuriating...yes, they can be that way (as most beautiful high strung ladies are).

When you find the "one" it will remain in your stable for life.

All other Hollowbodies are just steps to the promised land of ES335 ownership.

Save yourself a lot of trouble, time and money by going directly to "The Source" of Hollow body greatness, The Gibson ES335.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Nothing and I mean nothing, beats the industry standard ES335.

Expensive... you betcha, however worth every penny if/when you find a good one.

Inconsistent... absolutely. Play as many as you are able to.

Infuriating...yes, they can be that way (as most beautiful high strung ladies are).

When you find the "one" it will remain in your stable for life.

All other Hollowbodies are just steps to the promised land of ES335 ownership.

Save yourself a lot of trouble, time and money by going directly to "The Source" of Hollow body greatness, The Gibson ES335.

After a few years of that searching I got a Collings. It's just wrong that even when an ES-335 was made fairly well the cosmetics weren't even in the league and still cost more. Their big guy like an ES-335 is the SoCo 16. The I35 is smaller than a 335.

It has to be tribal type loyalty that Gibson can get the prices they do for the ones called Custom Shop or Nashville because Memphis Fat Necks can seem just as great.

This post was about moderate priced instruments but you're right about the greatness of this sort of guitar (Gibson, Collings, others). They bang out the big string notes like others don't. They play sweet, twang, and they also make tone like they're ripping cardboard or metal.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM

I had a early 90's Heritage 535, which is their version of a 335. Made in the old Gibson Kalamazoo factory, which back then still had most of the old Gibson employees. "More Gibson than Gibson" is what I thought. The guitar sounded great, was built very well, and looked like a dream. Mine had a curly maple top with a tobacco-type burst. Sold it to go to a best friend's wedding across the pond, but would love to get another some day.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars