The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-16-2022, 04:08 PM
Custom Guitars

Default OM build with my father.

I’ve been building guitars since 2001, part time mostly, and my father has been woodworking since before I was born and building guitars since about 2004 and we share a shop as neighbors; but we have never made a guitar together. He builds a very modern looking guitar, with some modern bracing touches, and I build a more traditional looking and braced guitar typically.

I asked him to make one with me, one I can never sell, a guitar for me; my lifetime guitar (for 46 I guess. Ha. I’m sure I’ll make a few more “lifetime” guitars for myself but I doubt I’ll ever make another with my dad).

So we agreed to build one together, in the shop together, and this is where we are at currently. We chose old wood we had been saving for more than 15 years. Brazilian we bought together at our first Healdsburg show in the early 2000’s. Red spruce I’d been saving for at least that long. We have been working on an OM shape, short scale guitar. We need to final fit the neck and tape off the bridge and fingerboard location and we are ready for finish as of today. I’ll need the weather to warm up a bit for me to spray so I’m not sure when that will be. (Snowing today, even here in the Southeast)

I’m pretty excited about this guitar, the wood is something and the build with my dad has been great. Here it is. Just wanted to show it off and my wife is tired of pretending to care!

Thanks for looking and thanks for such a cool forum to be a part of. I have enjoyed reading the AGF for a while and am a newish proud sponsor.

IMG_0815.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0826.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0825.jpgIMG_0828.jpg
Old 01-16-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

-Mike
Old 01-16-2022, 04:27 PM

What a wonderful story and awesome looking guitar. The wood you chose is really something.
Thanks for sharing!

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 01-16-2022, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations. That experience is truly something very special. Wish I could have done the same.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on a very nice guitar and a memorable experience! Several years ago my older son and I partnered on a guitar which I thought was going to be for him. At the end of the process he said that I should have it since he owns the first guitar I built. Very wonderful and emotional moment, and a guitar that I cherish. Glad for you both that you got to do this together. Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 09:12 AM

I love this! Thanks for sharing with us!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing.

Although this beautiful guitar is just the sum of its parts, the build will hold memories for both of you to cherish for the rest of your lives.

I hope there is a next generation to pass it along to.

I look forward to seeing the finished product and hearing some sound clips of it.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Custom Guitars

Thanks so much for the replies. I am very grateful to have a dad that shares my interests and is around to spend time with, I try to not forget how lucky I am.

I will definitely post some more pictures when we get some finish on the guitar.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Looks great and it’s great to be able to share the experience with your Dad. (My Dad’s been gone 35 years…so I’m a bit envious of you).

BTW…this is Gary…I was at your shop about a year ago to look at your cocobolo 00…and it’s snowing again!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:14 AM

What a great experience and an amazing looking OM. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Looking good Blake!! Dyson guitars rock!!! Everything about this guitar looks awesome!! Great story....

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-11-2022, 09:35 AM
Custom Guitars

Hey Gary! You should swing by again sometime, always fun to talk guitars in the shop.

Thanks so much JakesDB1.

Hey Jim! I sprayed your headstock again while we were all setup on this one, needed another coat or two.

Here’s the build after getting the finish sprayed, our final coats. Now we wait a month! IMG_0982.jpgIMG_0976.jpgIMG_0978.jpg
Old 02-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great Blake! Can't wait to see that Walnut beauty!!!

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-11-2022, 02:26 PM

Really cool you get to build with your dad - my dad was not a wood worker but I still miss him. The guitar looks lovely.

Rolled through Hillsborough last Sunday to help the bro-in-law install a woodstove insert. Hope to be back over that way with a minute to visit your shop later this year.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:44 AM
Custom Guitars

Soon Jim! I’m excited to get it in your hands too.

Thanks Skarsaune! I think time in the shop with my dad and kid are about my favorite times.

Please do stop by someday. If you wanna setup a time email me at [email protected]
and let me know. I like showing folks what I’m up to and talking guitars and woods any time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop