The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-12-2021, 12:22 AM

Default Solid State amp vs. Tube amp

I know this subject has probably been debated to death beyond hell but what do you guys prefer, solid state or tube? are tube amps really a hassle because they require more maintenance, tubes having to be replaced etc.?

What type of amp is also better for use of pedals (BOSS pedals to be exact)?
Old 05-12-2021, 12:39 AM

I have found both tube and SS amps that I like. Currently, I have a little Marshall DSL tube combo and a Sessionette 75 SS combo (from early 1980s) that is in desperate need of some competent TLC.

Some say that the DSL isn't the best if you want to crank the gain. I just set it where it overdrives when I pick hard, and it works great there. The Sessionette has a nice overdrive channel and I can also mix it with the clean side, so that I get both the attack of the clean and some "hair" from the overdrive side. Award-Session has some modernized versions of the Session amps.

Sorry, I don't really use much pedals. A low gain overdrive is all I have.

.... Except I have a couple of preamp pedals with speaker emulation. A tube pedal by Blackstar and a new "nutube" one from Vox. I haven't used the Vox yet but the Blackstar gives me sounds that I like when I turn up the gain on the clean/crunch channel. I run preamp pedals into some computer speakers at home, but they should work fine into any power amp or sound system.

..... And I don't do Modeling amps. Some might be excellent but something about them "doesn't seem right" to me. It could be the millions of options in the computer, or perhaps I just try to keep some parts of my life free of computers.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-12-2021, 01:42 AM

A lot of people have closed minds on tube vs ss. Since 1970 I have played vintage AC30 Top Boosts, 1965 Deluxe, and various Princetons tube amps. Since 1986 I've had a Laney Linebacker 50w ss combo that goes from 80s thrash/dirt to Fender blackface and anywhere in between - I still have it as a standby amp. For 12 years I had a hybrid Princeton Recording (full tubes plus on board compression and distortion). Today my main amps are a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb for one size fits all and a tc electronics BAM200 mini head for clean jazz. Many top Jazz musicians will only consider solid state amps for their hyper-clean sounds. I am currently awaiting delivery on a Quilter Suprrblock UK to add classic Marshall and Vox sounds back into my kit bag.
All these amps are good, and each has its own voice. The real question when you choose an amp for its sound is whether it is the sound that YOU want. There are plenty of modelling amps (and pedals) that emulate different amp voicings, but rarely succeed 100%. They still have a place if you want diversity at a discount price.
All these different sounds are instantly recognisable to you playing on your own, but once you're playing live a lot of the differences will disapear in the mix.....
As for taking pedals, most amps take most pedals quite well but you will occasionally find a combination that dosn't work well together, however hard you try. It took me 2 weeks to get my Keeley compressor plus to work the way I wanted with the Tone Master. I have a dozen pedals on my board and most of them work well with most of my amps.
A tube amp will cost about 200€ for a set of decent tubes every couple of years - a cost that you won't have with a ss amp. Weight differences are also enormous between the 2 types, so if portabilty is important and you don't have a team of roadies, then ss wins hands down.
At the end of the day let your needs and ears be the judge.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:31 AM

Aside from modelling amps/pedals I imagine it comes down to personal preference and music style.

I love my 3 tube amps, my favourite being the Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue (the others are Vox AC4tv and a modified Duncan 84-40). They all sound great and they all sound different. They match my music styles (country, rock and classic pop such as Beatles etc) and are used in different situations: the DRRI is the main stage amp, the Duncan is great when I don’t want to take pedals etc (has a very good boost/overdrive channel) and the VOX is great for living room or small rehearsal situations.

That said, there is a reason the Roland Jazz Chorus is a classic solid state amp. It’s not limited to jazz guitarists but you can see where they were aiming!

It isn’t surprising that many (most even?) of the simulations on digital amps aim to recreate classic tube amps and cabs.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yes, you have to chose with your ears. There are really three amp/processing classifications here: tube, solid state, modeling. Tube and solid state each have their own sounds. Modeling emulates the other two but is also capable of its own sound. The two questions you have to ask in order to come to terms with modeling are:
1. Am I trying to reproduce the sound of a particular amp or am I trying to do what I did when I was working with amps, which was chasing a sound in my head?
2. Modeling amps are more complex. Am I willing to learn the technology?

With all that said, there aren't really any "winners," only those devices that work for you. I can say that I rarely have to re-tube my tube amps.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-12-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yes, you have to chose with your ears. There are really three amp/processing classifications here: tube, solid state, modeling. Tube and solid state each have their own sounds. Modeling emulates the other two but is also capable of its own sound. The two questions you have to ask in order to come to terms with modeling are:
1. Am I trying to reproduce the sound of a particular amp or am I trying to do what I did when I was working with amps, which was chasing a sound in my head?
2. Modeling amps are more complex. Am I willing to learn the technology?

With all that said, there aren't really any "winners," only those devices that work for you. I can say that I rarely have to re-tube my tube amps.

Bob

What Bob said!

I changed power tubes in my DRRI as at least one was defective and drawing more power than it should with the result that it was starting to sound noisy and the protection caps were getting fried (but that’s what they are there for!).

So the service cost me a bit (some condensers needed changing too) but I see it as part of the expendables/consumables that are part of tube amp ownership, like strings are with guitars!

Now the Deluxe sounds clean, it’s running more efficiently and has better power tubes in it. It should last a few years now before needing its next bit of tlc!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-12-2021, 05:08 AM

Tube amps are not really a hassle, yes you do need to change out the tubes eventually, and some require a trip to a tech for that, but tubes are pretty reliable these days.

My Hot Rod Deville has been retubed once in the 20+ years I've owned it.

my Marshall that I bought new 96 has been retubed twice in the time I've owned it. The last time was 2 years ago, but only because there were some other issues, and I decided while it was on the bench, I'd have the tech swap out the tubes there was nothing wrong with them however, it was just a convenient time to do it.

I've found solid state amps tho that sound impressive. The fender tone master series are right up there in my book, as are some of the other Solid State modeling amps.

So, it really is down to what one's looking for in available sounds and options, or the desire to use pedals to get different tones, or not. some modeling amps can do just about anything.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-12-2021, 06:47 AM

Electric guitar tone is just about the most subjective thing in the musical universe. Connecting with your sound is the important thing. That said, having played a lot of gigs through both (especially touring “backline”) my preference is generally for tube amps. Pedals can sound just as good through either but they will usually interact with the amp in a different way. If you really want to figure out your own preference, you should go and A/B a few of each. Hopefully you will find something that inspires you. As far as maintenance, a well built tube amp is really easy for a tech to work on and pretty reliable. There are plenty of exceptions though.

Steve
Old 05-12-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know this subject has probably been debated to death beyond hell but what do you guys prefer, solid state or tube? are tube amps really a hassle because they require more maintenance, tubes having to be replaced etc.?

Yes is certainly a reoccurring thread theme, kinda like the movie Ground Hog Day

But to be expected because there is no "Vs" there is only Yes ,Yes , and Yes.

As Bob W. mentioned, since there are three categories THEN the only logical way to even hope to mitigate GAAS is to have at least one of each

So I offer GAAS in temporary remission from left to right Tube an Modeling , retro straight Tube ,,,, and Solid State

So the obvious answer to your last question,,, is to have at least a two amp Wet/Dry amp pedal system, in which you plug in any two of the three amps, and experiment to your hearts content

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-12-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM

My only SS amp is the Tech 21 65 watt. Best of the bunch.
Clean sparkly tones with real reverb. The grind is adjustable with a sag button to get Tweed saturation.
Otherwise, I use Tweed Deluxes, DR, and PRS H.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:57 AM

Tubes amps are certainly more fragile, sensitive, and fickle...

I currently have one of the Blues Cube Hots (solid state), and a Mesa TA-15 (all tube).

The Blues Cube hot is a one trick pony. Like the Fender Tone Masters. Like an old school amp, it has "a sound". And like the Tone Masters, that sound is quite awesome. And I am saying that after 47 years of using tube amps.

I'm glad I have both. If I want to just play for 15 minutes I don't want to warm up the tube amp, just to shut it back down in less time than it takes to watch real estate show on TV. I appreciate the light weight of the solid state. I appreciate the ability to plug directly into a laptop with no interface.

So Yeah. If you can manage it, have both. A high quality proven solid state should be bulletproof. If my Roland Blues Cube is anything like previous generations of cubes, expect to find a 6 foot, post-apocalyptic cockroach playing it some day...

And it's not just about tube amps needing maintenance and repair. Around me finding a good tech without at least a month long wait list is impossible.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post

I prefer tube amps. No mystical "mojo" nonsense, I just think they sound and feel better at practically any volume. There are solid state amps that I'd be glad to gig with if I had to, but I don't have to.

They are more hassle, but it's so infrequent and minimal as to not be an important factor for most tube amps.

Neither category takes pedals any better than the other.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:13 AM

I prefer tube amps for electric guitar, more sensitive to the touch for my ears.
But for amplified acoustic I much prefer solid state... it's just much cleaner in my opinion.
Nick
Old 05-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

It'd be nice if Fender made a Tone Master amp Princeton Reverb. Something a bit smaller than the deluxe reverb.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM

I'm curious:
when people say they prefer tube amps, does that mean ALL tube amps or SOME tube amps? Does it matter if the tube amp is Fender, Marshall, Vox, Orange, Mesa Boogie, Magnatone, Supro, Blackstar, or something else?
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars