The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-06-2021, 11:11 AM

Default High e string- where'd it go?

I'm new to the world of electrics as of a few months ago. I've got a Fender Special Ed Tele FMT.

Every few weeks I get to jam at Buddy's house with a full band. It's all classic rock type tunes and it's pretty loud. So I'm flailing away, competing with others to hear myself in the mix. When it's my turn to n solo I'll some realize suddenly that my low e has disappeared. In my hammering away I've managed to push the string off the fretboard and snagged it in the pickup.

Is it just me or does this happen to others? Anything I could change with the guitar or is it a matter of refining my technique? I'm still getting used to how light the strings are compared to acoustic and how much of a lighter touch is required to get sound out of it. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:31 PM

lol - that has happened to me only once or twice in 30 years (and I've played a lot of electric in that time), but yes, it has happened but I have no idea how.

I wouldn't worry about it until it happens again. If it does then you know you have a technique problem .
Old 05-06-2021, 01:50 PM

It looks like what you refer to as 'low E' the rest of the world refers to as 'high E'. Low E is two octaves lower than high E.

Yes, I've had that happen 50 years ago. For me it was a result of playing too hard. I've also seen electrics with nut slots that are too shallow so the string pops out.

I always found Fender guitars much more likely to suffer from this than any other maker.

I would suggest paying attention to your right hand attack. Unlike with golf swings, you really don't want follow-through on every stroke. Your pick doesn't need to move more than a few millimeters.

If you can, also try turning UP the amp in the beginning and back off your attack before the solo. That way you have plenty of reserve power available. It sounds like you are struggling so much to be heard that your only option is to attack harder, which causes the problem.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-06-2021, 05:02 PM

That has happened to me with my Telecaster and Stratocaster when I used Big Bends Nut Sauce. My favorite tech recommended that stuff but I had the string popping out of the nut issues when I used it.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-06-2021, 08:35 PM

Yup... Lol it happens...
Old 05-06-2021, 09:00 PM

I have seen professional guitarists put tape over the bottom edge of the pickup and the adjacent mounting ring to prevent that from happening...
Old 05-06-2021, 09:14 PM

I can see how that can happen if you play hard with very light strings.
- let the amp do the heavy lifting. (BB King to Billy Gibbons, when Billy was using heavy strings: "Boy, why you working so hard?)
- some electric players use quite heavy strings. The late Stevie Ray Vaughan comes to mind. He also hit the trings hard
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-07-2021, 02:28 AM

Has happened to me with my strat when I get overzealous with my vibrato.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I have seen professional guitarists put tape over the bottom edge of the pickup and the adjacent mounting ring to prevent that from happening...
+1, I've read that before.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars