The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2020, 06:11 PM

Default Any info on this Hondo guitar?

I scored this on an auction. Neck is straight as a ruler, action is nice and low. It has an solid adjustable bridge. Plays real good. I can't seem to find any markings on it as far as which model it is. I'm assuming it's made in Korea like most of their guitars. Anyone know anything about this? It appears to be a strat style body, but no whammy bar and more of a Les Paul style pickup.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:53 PM

Those trapezoid tuning keys look a whole lot like the ones that came in my 1989 Squier which was made by Sammick in Korea. If brave enough, unbolt the neck and see if it has a SAM stamp which makes it a Sammick. Also check of the body is made out of plywood, which is another cheap trait of Korean made electrics from that era.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:50 AM

The style of the guitar and logo says 80s to me. My second "good" electric was a Hondo Professional Telecaster type that was a great guitar made in Japan with some kind of vintagey DiMarzio pickups installed at the factory.

Hondo is a label, and suppliers, specs, and level of hardware and such varied over the years and between lines offered at the same time. Other than the non-fashionable pointy headstock, you might have a good player there. Yes, Sammick or Cort would be good guesses as to the company that owned the factory that made it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Those trapezoid tuning keys look a whole lot like the ones that came in my 1989 Squier which was made by Sammick in Korea. If brave enough, unbolt the neck and see if it has a SAM stamp which makes it a Sammick. Also check of the body is made out of plywood, which is another cheap trait of Korean made electrics from that era.
All Hondo's were made by Samick
Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The style of the guitar and logo says 80s to me.
That style of logo, referred to as the "sunrise" logo, was used from 1981-89...so I guess it's VERY '80s lol!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:35 PM

Whatever it is , exactly, it is a cool guitar.

I love the lines of a strat, but I also love it when people do different variations on the same general theme. This is certainly different enough not to call it a Stratocaster copy. Something that you don't see every day.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 AM

careful with that one,

you'll poke yer eye out kid!

and hey it was inspected by M15 a true legend in their own time!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

As with any guitar, the value is in how it functions. Dies it play well and sound good? If so, nothing else really matters!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars