The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Capo Recommendations

Hi all

Currently I'm using a G7th Performance 2 capo, which I'm very happy with, but I'm thinking about getting a second - one can live in my case, one can live at home and I don't have to worry about remembering to take it with me...

So, I've been having a look around. Obviously I can pick up a traditional Shubb style one very cheaply, I could get another G7th, or I've seen the Thalia ones, which are interesting...

Does anybody have any preferences, any definite no-nos?

One thing to consider - I don't want a large trigger style, I much prefer a smaller, less intrusive design.

Oh, and another thing is that I'm in the UK, so getting hold of things isn't always easy - I know Thalia will ship for example, but there is more cost and more waiting...

Cheers!
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM

Vote here for Thalia. Optimal fittings available for various guitar brands. Not a one size fits all approach like some brands.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Planet Waves NS pro. Small, discrete, works super well and can be stored on nut when not in use. Probably the best all round capo I have, and I have several.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 AM

I have all three that you mention and here’s my subjective experience:

The Thalia is a gorgeous expression of craft; it looks great and does the job very well. The need to squeeze the capo is just a different method from the others and you get used to it. The fact that they ship with two sets of inserts is a big plus. The aren’t the cheapest and they are the heaviest of the three but they feel solid, look great and work!

The G7th is also a modern classic. I don’t always find mine clamps evenly everywhere on the neck but it seems to like my Guild D35 so it usually sits in the Guild case when not being used.

Shubb are still my go-to capos. Elegant simplicity of design and they do the job. Cost wise they are far and away the best value for money imho. Getting new rubber sheaths (no jokes please) is fairly easy and one capo usually works on various guitars (ie the regular model will work on most acoustics and electrics). I have several including the model designed for nylon-stringed guitars.

At the moment I am looking to get a capo for my new 12-string and it is likely to be either the G7 for 12 string or the Shubb C3.

I live in Sweden where a major retail chain recently went bankrupt and ceased trading. It means I am more likely to order online and put up with shipping. On those occasions I use Thomann and to be honest if you are buying a capo why not add a couple of sets of strings and other accessories you need, then the £10 (or so) shipping charge won’t seem so excessive. If you’re buying a guitar case at the same time it might even be free...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-20-2019, 09:03 AM

I really like my Shubb capos.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Vote here for Thalia. Optimal fittings available for various guitar brands. Not a one size fits all approach like some brands.

Cheers
OP mentioned that they like a small unobtrusive design. Thalia's have a pretty big footprint and are heavier than many other capos. They certainly have their place but light and unobtrusive isn't one of their strengths. Planet Waves NS is very easy to use, to adjust, and is lightweight. I use the Shubb for a clamp style but mostly am a fan of the yoke style capos. I bought an Elliott years ago and I love the light weight and small profile as much as how it never gets in the way of the tone of my guitar. But it is pricey.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-20-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Planet Waves. I have a bunch of different capos but use the Planet Waves consistently every time I play. And like Jayne the Elliott is very nice but is pricey?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM

I like my Shubb one - adjustable tension means that you don't have tuning issues (or crush your neck). My friend has a capo with a spring so fierce I can barely work it. No way in hell that would go on one of my guitars!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 AM

Shubb for me. I have one in each case, and specialty models for my 12-string and v-neck models. There's always one or two laying around in my "studio", too.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Shubb C2. They do a 'partial' one too, to fit over three strings - with the C2 it can gives some interesting tunings... like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6yKD5sJMU
Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
Hi all

Currently I'm using a G7th Performance 2 capo, which I'm very happy with, but I'm thinking about getting a second - one can live in my case, one can live at home and I don't have to worry about remembering to take it with me...

So, I've been having a look around. Obviously I can pick up a traditional Shubb style one very cheaply, I could get another G7th, or I've seen the Thalia ones, which are interesting...

Does anybody have any preferences, any definite no-nos?

One thing to consider - I don't want a large trigger style, I much prefer a smaller, less intrusive design.

Oh, and another thing is that I'm in the UK, so getting hold of things isn't always easy - I know Thalia will ship for example, but there is more cost and more waiting...

Cheers!
Hi JM

It's really hard to beat the Planet Waves NS capo (Black Aluminum frame). It works well on 6 strings, and 12 strings. ($14 USD Nov-2019)

Just don't buy the plastic frame version (don't know if it's still made but some sellers may have them in stock).

I own a McKinney/Elliott for my Olson, but it's worn plenty of Planet Waves NS models too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM

I was gifted a Thalia. Nice capo if you have decent hand strength. Having arthritis makes it cumbersome for me. I much prefer my old Shubb. I think the Thalia is also unnecessarily thick and heavy.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-20-2019, 09:59 AM

I just bought a G7 Performance 3 capo to keep with a guitar which did not have a dedicated unit in its case. My others are all Planet Waves NS capos. Both types work quite well. The G7 feels more substantial, but the NS models are adequate even if lighter. Both designs are compact and easy to adjust to the tension level required.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

You could try one of the Colorado Capos that Maury's carries now. They look like a good design that stays out of the way of your fingers. I've been wanting to pick one up.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/guitar_capos
Old 11-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
OP mentioned that they like a small unobtrusive design. Thalia's have a pretty big footprint and are heavier than many other capos. They certainly have their place but light and unobtrusive isn't one of their strengths. Planet Waves NS is very easy to use, to adjust, and is lightweight. I use the Shubb for a clamp style but mostly am a fan of the yoke style capos. I bought an Elliott years ago and I love the light weight and small profile as much as how it never gets in the way of the tone of my guitar. But it is pricey.

Best,
Jayne
I suppose large is subjective...I don’t find that Thalias are large.

The only point I was trying to make is that you should never have a fit problem with a Thalia given the “sure fit” system they use. To me that’s important.

I have seen many a complaint of this capo working with this guitar okay, but not this one, etc...

Everyone needs to prioritize for themselves what’s important to them in a capo. For me it is generalized effectiveness and quality. Thalia has this in spades.

This is not to suggest that there are not other great products out there.

To keep things simple I would suggest the OP sticks to what they know and gets another G7th.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion