The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Sounds like the money line in a Country song.

I like it!
Me too! The only time I write a check anymore is for the gardener...God love him.
scott
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
It boggles my mind that the scammers can't figure-out how to type an email that's not chock full of dead giveaways.
Because they apparently don't have to.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
It boggles my mind that the scammers can't figure-out how to type an email that's not chock full of dead giveaways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I think that's done to weed out those people are smart enough to not fall for a scam. If you weed out the smart ones and only the gullible ones respond you have a better chance of getting a fish on the hook.
That is exactly right. The bad grammar and spelling are a low-pass filter for intelligence.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:03 PM

One time I was selling a larger-screen TV on CL. If possible I always meet someplace neutral and in public, but how is one going to verify a TV works properly?
So I get an email from a potential buyer, named Rocco. We agree to talk on the phone and he got a thick Italian accent. I'm thinking the worst, but give him directions to the house.

I set it up in the garage with a DVD player to demonstrate. Up rolls a big Cadillac, and my imagination is working overtime.

Out he steps; a distinguished old gentleman who took one look and handed me the money. I offered to help him load it into his car, and even asked if he had help to remove it when he got home. Really nice guy.

Anyway, that was just a small diversion from the scammers that spend more time trying to con than earn an honorable living...

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 11-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
What's a check? Over here we use cheque's.
We can spell too
Old 11-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
What's a check? Over here we use cheque's.
Same here in Canada : cheque !
Old 11-25-2019, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Can I ask a couple of questions about transactions in the USA as I'm interested to know whether maters work the same as in the UK.

Cheques:

Although I understand that they are virtually an outdated method of payment, do you not also have your Bank card / Cheque Guarantee card, enabling the seller to write the card number on the back, signed by the buyer, making the cheque irrevocable?.

Is this not the same in the USA?

Debit Card:

Cannot the same card can be used to obtain cash from an ATM albeit only up to a certain amount (apparently this varies widely by bank, by current account type, and by their immediate access to cash notes, and may need 48 hours notice for high denominations).

CHAPS (Clearing House Automated Payment System)
Is this not available in the USA?
This is an online transaction which requires you to access your account and set up a one time payment to the other party simply by inserting his sort code (xx-xx-xx) and account number. It is now also necessary to receive a/an "OTP" (One Time Pass Code) by text on your phone.

The transaction is instant and irrevocable, and the receiving person can ensure that the cash is in their account within moments of your completing the process.

Therefore a high value transaction can be done safely and instantly by two people using their smart phones.

Yesterday, we adopted a cat and whilst I took my cheque book, they asked me if I would pay the "charity contribution" of £100 by CHAPS which I did upon my return home (i don't currently use a smart phone). Of course - this was not a purely commercial transaction, but the plumber will be here tomorrow and want me to pay him by CHAPS, as he usually does.

So,
Cheque with Bank card ?
Debit card to obtain cash?
CHAPS ?

Are these facilities not available in the USA?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Like I said back on the first page, on post 11, If you have a check, you have a debit card. If you have a debit card, the onus is on you, the buyer, to stop at the bank and bring cash. If only 2% of people writing checks are scoundrels, I don't want to lose my guitar and the money over a fraud. Anyone can easily write a check on a closed or empty account - even if they pinky-swear and give you their bank account number for "guarantee".

If someone doesn't want to bring cash, I would let them pay me via PayPal or Venmo using my personal computer.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Can I ask a couple of questions about transactions in the USA as I'm interested to know whether maters work the same as in the UK.

Cheques:

Although I understand that they are virtually an outdated method of payment, do you not also have your Bank card / Cheque Guarantee card, enabling the seller to write the card number on the back, signed by the buyer, making the cheque irrevocable?.

Is this not the same in the USA?
Yes, it is not.

We have ATM/Debit cards linked to our bank accounts, which we can use like a credit card for point of sale transactions or to get cash, but writing their numbers on the check does nothing. There is no "make the check irrevocable" option. You can always stop the check until it's been paid.

However, we do have something called a cashier's check. This is a check issued and signed directly by a bank employee, not by you. It's preferred for large transactions like cars or houses, because you have to pay the bank for it when it's issued; this proves there's actual money behind it. A cashier's check can still be stopped under certain circumstances, but most petty check trickery doesn't involve cashier's checks, so they're more trusted. This is why the Nigerian Scam and the Advance Fee Fraud Scam typically involve forged cashier's checks, to exploit that implicit trust.

Quote:
Debit Card:

Cannot the same card can be used to obtain cash from an ATM albeit only up to a certain amount (apparently this varies widely by bank, by current account type, and by their immediate access to cash notes, and may need 48 hours notice for high denominations).
Yes, mostly. The daily cash limit is set by your bank, not the ATM owner's bank. Obviously if the ATM is out of bills, you can't have them. High denominations don't really enter into the ATM world; most ATMs only dispense $5 and $20 bills (although there are a few, like Chase Bank, that allow you to choose $50s). If you need large denominations, you generally have to visit a bank branch in person, where you will complete the transaction with a withdrawal slip (or a check made out to yourself, if that's more convenient). $100 is the largest bill in public circulation, so as to make life more difficult for drug dealers and money launderers.

Quote:
CHAPS (Clearing House Automated Payment System)
Is this not available in the USA?
This is an online transaction which requires you to access your account and set up a one time payment to the other party simply by inserting his sort code (xx-xx-xx) and account number. It is now also necessary to receive a/an "OTP" (One Time Pass Code) by text on your phone.

The transaction is instant and irrevocable, and the receiving person can ensure that the cash is in their account within moments of your completing the process.

Therefore a high value transaction can be done safely and instantly by two people using their smart phones.
There are several competing systems that work more or less as you describe. Paypal and Venmo are independent of banks, and charge fees for commercial transactions (but are free for personal transactions). Zelle is typically integrated into your online banking profile and is usually free to use.

However, most people would not use those services to pay the plumber or the cat house, as you did. We'd typically use a credit card, for its customer protection options. I know my plumber and trust him, so I pay him in actual cash, and he gives me better prices. Same with my HVAC guy. It's a little bit of a hassle for me, because I have to go to the bank and get the cash, but they appreciate it. At minimum it saves them credit card processing fees. It may also be that they don't report it for taxes; I don't ask.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
pay the plumber or the cat house, as you did.
I see what you did there.

I've found that most businesses in the US do accept personal checks/cheques. I suppose they have insurance, other recourse, or figure it's a cost of business if once bounces occasionally. Some small proprietors even prefer that to a credit card, since there are no fees. But yeah, I wouldn't accept one from a random unknown person for a one-time transaction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion