The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Dropped and cracked body. Can I bodgy it up myself?

Guys my nephew knocked over my guitar the other day and cracked the top and body (see photos).

I assume it is repairable, although given that it is only a AUD$700 (~$500USD) Seagull, I wonder whether it would be worth getting it repaired professionally. I live in a remote location and it's going to cost me $120 just to get it to a city for repair to begin with.

It still seems to play okay. My first question is - can I just live with the damage and keep playing it as-is?...or will the cracks likely lead to further damage and it eventually deteriorate further?
Is there anything I can DIY that might fix it up functionally so I can keep playing it? I'd be prepared to live with an ugly, if functional DIY repair job, if you think that is something which could be achieved.

Last edited by computerman; 11-08-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Ouch! I’ll bet that hurt. Hope someone comes up with a good answer but if it was mine I’d be at the store looking for a replacement.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Pretty easy one, just glue and cleat, at a guess if you paid someone, maybe 100ish

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair