The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
My dream is they someday come out with a J45 with 1.75 nut width and 2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle. Maybe next year.
Yep...I'm with you, Paul. A similar move by Martin put their dreads back in my sweet spot.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 09-02-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I'm in the UK and I can't see any acoustics
Same (from France) - only showing me the new Les Paul line-up.

Edit: Ok I can see them. Had to set my country to USA first
Old 09-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Cool

The J-45 walnut is intriguing at $1599, but it is a cutaway. Why, why, WHY?

The J-45 all mahogany is probably a nice one, but I'm not crazy about the finish on the one pictured.

I paid $1299 for my J-15, brand new. MF is listing them at $1599 and $1799 for the sunburst. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, I believe they are, but it seems a bit high in comparison to other retailers. Or maybe I bought at the right time. I dunno...The J-15 is, IMO, the best bang for your buck Gibson made in recent years. If they continue to climb towards the $2k mark they won't be as appealing...Again, just my opinion, and for what its worth they are as good or even better than many of their $2k+ counterparts.

The L-00 series is drool worthy. I love those things.

I still want a standard J-45.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...I'm with you, Paul. A similar move by Martin put their dreads back in my sweet spot.
Yup. It did that for many folks.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Nice to see them make the J-15 sunburst a standard model. Nothing like a Gibson sunburst.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
I'm glad they got rid of this one.Even I paid so cheap from reverb for just $1,525 in brand new conditions but still not worth it. Sound horrible acoustically, so so with plug-in.They should put Fishman prefix plus-T instead of L.R.Baggs.

Is that the Songwriter Progressive? If so, I couldn't agree with you more and I love songwriters. They screwed the pooch with the SP though. I still love Gibson though. I played some gems today, and it's those shining examples of musical wonderfulness that keeps me hanging around the Gibson corner at the shops.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I paid $1299 for my J-15, brand new. MF is listing them at $1599 and $1799 for the sunburst. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, I believe they are, but it seems a bit high in comparison to other retailers. Or maybe I bought at the right time.
You bought at the right time. The guitar you purchased (I know this without seeing it) was $1499 when first introduced, and a lot of stores still have that on the tags, but as you found out, it's an odd store that won't sell it to you for $1299 or so. The new ones will be higher for a while, then those that don't sell will creep down. I'm waiting for a GC on the edge of my territory to finally list the blemished one they have for under a grand. Right now they have it at $1175 and it ain't moving. I think I've decoded their little numbers, and if I am right, it will be re-priced on 11/1. If it ends up under 1k, it's mine.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
Is that the Songwriter Progressive? If so, I couldn't agree with you more and I love songwriters. They screwed the pooch with the SP though. I still love Gibson though. I played some gems today, and it's those shining examples of musical wonderfulness that keeps me hanging around the Gibson corner at the shops.
Yes it is.For those who've never tried one.This model sound a lot different than the regular EC deluxe.I think the body is a little thinner than the regular songwriter. With adjustable bridge .It reduces vibrations of the top and that doesn't sound good acoustically.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
I'm in the UK and I can't see any acoustics
It defaults to UK, change shipping region back to US and you'll see them
Old 09-03-2017, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
You bought at the right time. The guitar you purchased (I know this without seeing it) was $1499 when first introduced, and a lot of stores still have that on the tags, but as you found out, it's an odd store that won't sell it to you for $1299 or so. The new ones will be higher for a while, then those that don't sell will creep down. I'm waiting for a GC on the edge of my territory to finally list the blemished one they have for under a grand. Right now they have it at $1175 and it ain't moving. I think I've decoded their little numbers, and if I am right, it will be re-priced on 11/1. If it ends up under 1k, it's mine.
How does this work? I've never noticed GC lowering their prices. Even when I asked they told me they couldn't do it.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
My dream is they someday come out with a J45 with 1.75 nut width and 2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle. Maybe next year.
Coincidentally, my newly acquired '07 J-45 '68 Reissue has a decent sized neck with a 1 3/4" nut width. I haven't measured the saddle string spacing but apparently, there are 1 3/4" J-45s out there.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
How does this work? I've never noticed GC lowering their prices. Even when I asked they told me they couldn't do it.
They lower prices according to a formula set by corporate. They often don't have a lot of flexibility at the store level. Pricing policies are always changing as well.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

The Southern Jumbo is just like one they put out as a 60-piece limited edition two years ago. Great tone, but neck is too small for me and I expect to sell it soon. Too bad because it's a cannon!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
I'm glad they got rid of this one.Even I paid so cheap from reverb for just $1,525 in brand new conditions but still not worth it. Sound horrible acoustically, so so with plug-in.They should put Fishman prefix plus-T instead of L.R.Baggs.

No they just changed the design a bit and renamed it to Hummingbird AG.

I'm really a Gibson fan but wait... what are these Hummingbird AG craps? Wasn't that Hummingbird Pro disgraceful enough?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:29 AM

In the UK Gibson prices have shot up. I am a huge fan but now the prices are into the UK hand made luthier range. The J45 Vintage 2018 store price is nearly £1000 more than last year !!!!!!! Shocking !!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j-45