The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 AM

It may be a wonderful guitar, but if you didn’t like it I think it would be hard to sell it and get your money back. You’d be stuck with it or take a loss.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I was surprised that a "luthier" was selling his first built guitar and didn't share any measurements. Nut width? String spacing? Scale? Action at 12th fret? For that matter, I'm surprised that he wouldn't share the brand name of his $2000+ guitars...

Hand Crafted Fingerstyle Acoustic Guitar. Fitted hardshell case.. Condition is Used.

This my student build Fingerstyle Acoustic Guitar, hand built while at the Galloup School of Lutherie. Completed in October 2017. An already amazing tone will only continue to open up. My current builds start at $2000, so this is a great opportunity to get an amazing lightly used guitar.

- Spruce top that is specifically braced and tuned for optimal response and tone
- Mahogany sides, back, and neck
- Ebony head plate, finger board, bridge, and pins
- 14 frets to the body
- Currently strung with Martin Marquis light .12 - .54

Selling to improve my shop and upgrade some tools.
Thanks for looking and have a great day
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Man, I’m glad that’s over...tough crowd.
Ha. Absolutely. If things go as they usually do here, someone herein will be having a NGD soon. Then we'll see how well they enjoy this guitar.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Wow is all I can say

First off I would like to point out that it is not cracked across the bridge between the holes its just a dark line.
He would be in serious trouble for not listing it as he is still building so he would not be stupid enough to sell a guitar that was damaged.
Frankly I am somewhat surprised by some of the answers here.wow.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

It shows as "SOLD" on the ebay listing, so either the OP or somebody else took a chance on it.

Pretty guitar.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 AM

I would pass on this opportunity.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Never judge a musical instrument by its looks. If you can't play it first, don't buy it. That's just my take after learning from experience.
Agreed.

The vast majority of guitars that I DO play I wouldn't buy. The chances are exceedingly low of my finding a guitar that I'd want to buy without having played it prior to buying it. I don't feel that lucky.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 AM

"Even the prettiest guitar can sound like crap."

Absolutely, but many of us here on the AGF and on the UMGF tend to hang our hopes on the opposite:

Even the crappiest-looking guitar can sound pretty.

That's why I like to play 'em first.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

The Galloup school is one of the finest resources anywhere for training new luthiers, and I’m pretty sure a guitar built under their supervision with their expertise in wood selection would sound as good and probably better then any sub $1000 guitar out there. Buying and playing handmade guitars isn’t for everyone - but bonding with one is a great experience and worth a little risk - IMHO -
Old 11-20-2019, 01:19 PM

I can tell from the pics that it's better built than the I bought from a guy and it was his 35th guitar. I see talent there
Old 11-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Well, as the OP I just wanted say I didn't buy the guitar. The one thing that made me really consider buying it was knowing it was done under the supervision of a highly respected school.
Well, at least now I don't have to worry about taking a gamble. I hope someone here on the forum picked it up. So maybe I'll be able to see what I missed.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Knowing my luck, he will end up being a famous builder and that guitar will be priceless.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM

From the pic, the fretboard cutout doesn't match the soundhole. It hangs over on the left and comes up short on the right. Visible flaws like that tell me other flaws exist that I can't see.

I wouldn't touch it, nor would I expect much out of it other than it sounding like a guitar.

It's funny, I remember reading on the Mule Resonator website an appeal from the owner who said not to pay big $$$ for one of his earlier guitars because he's improved upon the products since then. This thread reminded me of that. Haha
Old 11-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Default A thought

one-off guitars: As a builder of four so far, I wouldn't buying one remotely. Everybody values certain characteristics and looks past others. This might be a just-right player for someone, but I think it needs to be touched and inspected. And priced on its own merits.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Agreed.

The vast majority of guitars that I DO play I wouldn't buy. The chances are exceedingly low of my finding a guitar that I'd want to buy without having played it prior to buying it. I don't feel that lucky.
Truer words were never spoken and hopefully everyone will notice who's opining.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion