The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: I like artificially worn guitars.
Yes 5 9.26%
No 36 66.67%
Don't care either way 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Road Worn or Worn Out

Okay, since this thread just won't die, lets just have a friendly opinion poll.

1. I like artificially worn guitars.
2. I do not like artificially worn guitars.
3. I ignore the cosmetics and focus on things like tone and playability.

Where's that popcorn!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:53 PM

I'm not the greatest musician in the world and even though a new instrument made to look worn may be an incredible player I guess I would just feel a bit phony buying one while I have no issue with old worn out guitars. Guess it's just a mental block and sorta "my thing".
Old 11-20-2019, 07:27 PM

I voted Yes but it has to be very well done and look realistic. I'm not paying for a road worn guitar but I do like it and would like to have one.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I don’t care either way, if it plays right and sounds right. I ave a roadworn tele and I have a roadworn neck on an otherwise new strat. I love Fender’s roadworn necks and they don’t really look terribly worn, just not quite new. The relic work on my tele body is pretty understated - it doesn’t bother me in the least. And it plays and sounds great...
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM

Good idea for a poll - I won’t be surprised by the results. I voted no.3 - playability, tone, and I’ll add, ‘feel’ is important. What we’re talking about is a musical instrument, so imagine if you’re in an audience, and you’re blown away by the *music* played by a guitarist on stage whose out of the spotlight, who is in the dark - it shouldn’t matter what kind of finish the instrument has. When I first saw Roadworn Fender electrics back in 2006, the fretboards looked gross. Now it’s faux* Roadworn.

* don’t know this word
Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM

As "that guy" that started a "worn" look thread last week as a anti-faux aging rant, let me say how a guitar plays and sound is THE MOST important thing. So if it wow'ed me I would buy one with a "Road Worn" appearance, regardless. But at the same time, I would be turned off by this artificial "aging for appearance" fad. Not enough to stop me from getting one...

So, "NO" vote from me on the poll, thumbs up on #3 in Gangsta Pat's post.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 AM

It has to be one of the more ridiculous gimmicks in the guitar world. That's all is it.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

If the guitar sounds and plays well, meets my needs and fits my budget, I do not care either way.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM

I don't like pre-worn guitars, but...

My Heritage and old Kay archtops (both purchased used)have a bunch of wear. And none of it's mine. So is that really that much different?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I don't like pre-worn guitars, but...

My Heritage and old Kay archtops (both purchased used)have a bunch of wear. And none of it's mine. So is that really that much different?
It would seem like it to me. I would have no issue with buying a used guitar that has some wear. It is not artificially created to look as if it was used and worn in/out but indeed genuinely worn in/out. That's real. Some could care less if their big flashy diamond is just a cubic zirconia because they like the way it looks while others would feel like they are being deceptive or fake.

Different folks different strokes.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
let me say how a guitar plays and sound is THE MOST important thing. So if it wow'ed me I would buy one with a "Road Worn" appearance, regardless.
I can agree with this but everything else about this guitar would have to really knock my socks off and it would have to do so much better than anything else I can find. I'm talking about having to go smoke a cigarette every time I played it and I hate cigarettes.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM

I am one of the “like” votes up above. I’m an older gent, well past my prime, but still remember a major ingredient that is associated with electric guitar music, and that is the fun factor. I have some old guitars but most of my gear is less than ten years old. They all have their dings and scuffs although nothing as apparent as the relic’ed units being sold now.

I appreciate the conversation starter element and the don’t worry about me aspect these road worn guitars offer. In short, they are just fun guitars to show and tell.

I lost a friend and fellow guitarist this last year. Just turned 65 and treated himself to a guitar for that birthday. Showed up to play some rock and roll with what looked like a forty year old beater. He played wonderfully, so happy, so proud of his new axe. It was some kind of relic’ed Ibanez and it was an absolute blast to look at and to hear him play.
He passed away the following week during a routine surgery.

It’s very possible that I am aware of the fact I do not have that much time left on my personal clock to ever play enough to wear in a guitar to resemble these road worn replicas. If I were twenty or thirty I might very well look at them differently. And as they say, beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I voted no. I think that this is about my upbringing - I wasn't brought up in poverty, but my parents were, and so they "imprinted" me to take great care of whatever I had, toys, shoes (always polished) and I was in big trouble if my clothes got damaged (especially my school uniform).

That has carried through to my old age. I clean and polish my instruments every time I change strings, (partly because I enjoy the ritual), and I probably have some clothes older than some AGF members!

I would buy a "road worn" instrument, and a few dings and dents don't worry me overly (well not after the first one!), but I don't really "get" the artificially aged thing - it seems a bit, well, pretentious, like you are trying to imply that you are a road warrior, when I'm just a "weekend warrior" as a Texan acquaintance once said to me.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM

I voted "no" but only because there was no stronger option.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:48 PM

It doesn't matter to me. (I might actually prefer the look of a road worn Fender in some instances even if it was done artificially, but not so much the heavy relic stuff). Having said that, if you had asked me 5 years ago my answer would have been no. (I've slowly come around).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars