The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Does your finger joints increased in thickness because of guitar playing?

Hi. Does your finger joints increased in thickness because of guitar playing?. In my fretting hand my pinky joint got thicker because it got stronger tissue as a result of guitar playing and this also happened to my guitar teacher. Did this also happened to any of you
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 PM

i'm a radiologist and look at a lot of hand x-rays. that joint in your pinky is called the "distal interphalangeal joint" or DIP joint and the edges of it can overgrow with time due to prolonged strain. it's kind of toughening, but a little more like scarring -- extra bone grows around the sides of the joint in response to continue injury. it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad but can lead to pain and decreased motion in the joint. it's technically "osteoarthritis" which just means "mechanical wearing down of joints." Different from things like rheumatoid arthritis that are an actual disease process, not just wear and tear.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 PM

I haven't noticed any changes

Last edited by pszy22; 11-19-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi all

Fifty-six years playing with these fingers…taught 20 hours of lessons a week for half of it.

Replaced the roof after this storm…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
i'm a radiologist and look at a lot of hand x-rays. that joint in your pinky is called the "distal interphalangeal joint" or DIP joint and the edges of it can overgrow with time due to prolonged strain. it's kind of toughening, but a little more like scarring -- extra bone grows around the sides of the joint in response to continue injury. it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad but can lead to pain and decreased motion in the joint. it's technically "osteoarthritis" which just means "mechanical wearing down of joints." Different from things like rheumatoid arthritis that are an actual disease process, not just wear and tear.
I was a runner, more of a jogger as I got older. Walk now but always heard that running increased bone density. Knees are too weak for anything except walking now but my darn ankle bones continue to be like a rock.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

I have developed Ganglian cysts on my middle and ring fingers of my fretting hand. They are not painful but very unsightly...I think they are the result of playing the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion