The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2024, 09:15 AM

Default Paul Reed Smith 24-08

My relatively new PRS Swamp Ash has started a late-founded urge for another guitar. It's only for my studio. It may never see a strap, but the older I get, the more the need for simplicity becomes more than I had anticipated. I have a 1967 Telecaster, a 1968 ES-335, and a Gretsch from the 1970s. I find that the Swamp Ash PRS is in my hands 95% of the time. It might well be all I need, but I'm urgin' for a Custom 24 08 as my final.

Anyone has one they can report on, or anyone has thoughts and opinions in general.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:51 PM

The SE version of this instrument was the first guitar I bought, with the idea that you can do just about anything with it so I wouldn't need more guitars. While I'm sure that better guitar players than I can get much more out of it, and that the core is nicer than the SE, I personally found that it felt like the instrument doesn't particularly have anything that it excels at. Beautiful guitar, but it turns out that I'd rather have an instrument that knows what it does well and sticks to that as opposed to one that can do anything close enough.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
The SE version of this instrument was the first guitar I bought, with the idea that you can do just about anything with it so I wouldn't need more guitars. While I'm sure that better guitar players than I can get much more out of it, and that the core is nicer than the SE, I personally found that it felt like the instrument doesn't particularly have anything that it excels at. Beautiful guitar, but it turns out that I'd rather have an instrument that knows what it does well and sticks to that as opposed to one that can do anything close enough.
Good feedback and good to know. Thanks Greg!
Old 06-16-2024, 09:50 AM

I have a Core, and it's a great versatile instrument... it gets far more play than my LP for instance... I have other "classic" and niche flavours ... but for something that just works when you've an idea or a mood it's a good thing to reach for.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:03 AM

The 24-08 is a very versatile axe, if you like the neck it's a great choice.
( I have 13 PRS's)

You may want to check out the DGT as well , it covers all the bases very well.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:22 PM

I traveled to Sweetwater to check out a PRS 24-08. It's just a great (as it should be), premium-looking, sounding guitar. I was pulling out my wallet when the sales guy came in and said ("we just got a guitar in today that you may like to see.")

A Tiger Red "Paul" Model.. They say the only difference is that there is no floating tremolo. I beg to differ. Tone-wise and sustain on the Paul is really a massive leap. Noticeably, both plugged in and hooked up. The bass response increase is off the charts.

The narrow-field pickups are the best (for my taste) I've ever heard. At first, I wanted to say P-90-ish, but listening more, it's much more like a really beefy, noiseless strat. There's a chime there, and the volume control, as is the tone control, is totally usable all the way to the off position. Then, of course, there's another level of chime with whatever voodoo they're pulling off with the split-wiring scenario. What's REALLY cool is there is absolutely no volume drop from one position to another. Switching to something split doesn't affect volume when switching to a full-blown humbucker—same volume.

There are no gimmicks here, as this is easily the most thought-out production idea I've yet to see in an electric

NGD!
Old 07-08-2024, 08:22 PM

I have a ce-24 ltd. Basically a lower price point 24 fret bolt on neck USA model and the neck is so easy to play. I was skeptical as to whether I’d really use those higher frets but within a short time found myself taking advantage of them on a regular basis. Mine has covered 57/08 pickups which are perfect for the genres I play.

I have a fine collection of dust mites.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars