The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-25-2024, 06:37 PM

Old 07-03-2024, 11:55 PM

Old 07-04-2024, 05:49 AM

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-04-2024, 08:51 PM

A true hodge-podge for me. I've been keeping two lines of reading going:

1. A rather lengthy list of comparative religion texts...the most recent being a volume called "The Essence of Vedanta" by Brian Hodgkinson. A bit elementary, but a good introduction (to Vedas, Upanishads and the Mahabharata) and a sort of palate-refresher compared to the deep-dive texts I'd been consuming.

2. All the Dexter novels by Jeff Lindsay (yes, the original volumes that inspired the Dexter series on Showtime). Right now I'm on "Dexter by Design"...the 4th in the series. My wife and I saw the TV shows years ago, but the books are a good bit different and worth the read. Just as funny but in a somewhat skewed way.

Next up: I'd promised myself that I'd give a go at learning Sanskrit after I retired. Wish me luck. Obtained a handful of textbooks recently and we'll see how far I get.

Cheers,
Dirk
Old 07-05-2024, 12:58 PM

What are you reading?

Recently finished "Ten Perfect Murders" by Peter Swanson. First mystery story I've read in years and it's very good, with lots of twists and turns. Doesn't always play fair with the reader and hides stuff (not as badly as Agatha Christie), but eventually everything comes to light. The setting in Boston contributed to my enjoyment quite a bit, since I went to college there. The setting rang very true. Enjoyed the book a lot. B+.

Followed that up with a real page-turner. "Eruption" by Michael Crichton and finished by James Patterson after Crichton passed. Truth in fiction: I've read all of Crichton's novels and enjoyed all of them to a greater or lesser degree. I very much appreciate that he has always had new ideas and thoughts for each book. Thus keeping it constantly fresh. Story is about a major eruption of Mauna Loa on Hawai'i's big island. I believe it is the largest active volcano in the world. Loved reading it and finished ASAP (2 days). It was that good. A-, maybe even a straight A. Can't recommend it enough.

Other favorite Crichton books include "Jurassic Park", another page turner that builds slowly as the reader finds out the scientists don't know everything, constantly contradicting as in,
"Nothing can go wrong . . . go wrong . . . go wrong . . . " (From the ad for his the original "Westworld" movie (1973) written and directed from his original screenplay by Crichton.

And "The Great Train Robbery", book by Crichton, and then movie directed from his original screenplay by Crichton, which followed the book quite well. Period piece from the Crimean War era in 1855, and loosely based on a true story. Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland star in the movie.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-05-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
With the recent airing of Shogun on FX, I decided to give the book a read. A long, but enjoyable tale.

After Shogun, I decided to tackle the entire Asian Saga by James Clavell.

I'm currently on the third book, Gai-Jin.

The books are great, but my goodness, they are long and detailed. Makes The Lord Of The Rings look easy.......

D
I've read Shogun four times and Tai-Pan twice. I really loved King Rat, but I doubt I'll ever read it again due to it's theme of life in a WWII Japanese prison camp. The others I've only read one and done. Including the massive "Whirlwind". "Shogun" is loosely based on history, the Toranaga character on Tokugawa Ieyasu and the Pilot Blackthorne on Will Adams.

The recent Shogun mini-series is incredibly good, but it doesn't quite follow the book, but that's not a complaint. I will watch this again sometime. Not as pristine and beautiful as the Richard Chamberlain and Toshiro Mifune original mini-series, but a much better show. I had first read the book before that version came out many years ago, and was glad I did.

I understand they are planning two more seasons of the most recent Shogun.

I'm waiting.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-05-2024 at 01:29 PM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 07-05-2024, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Inner Anarchy by Jim Palmer. Pretty controversial for some but it all depends on what you believe, or not

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic