The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-15-2024, 07:29 PM

Default Godin CW II jazzboxes on sale @ Amazon

P-90 or humbucker, $774 and $749 respectively - IME as good as it gets in an under-$1K jazzbox since the 2010's Korean-made Gretsch 5400-Series E-Matics:

https://www.amazon.com/Godin-Electri...dp/B09BG2JJ6G/
https://www.amazon.com/Godin-Electri...dp/B09CZJNJHF/
Old 06-15-2024, 09:10 PM

That's a lot of guitar for the cash, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-16-2024, 09:52 AM

If I hadn't just paid for one of their Jumbo's ...
Old 06-16-2024, 01:31 PM

Totally different animal than the Jumbo - I own one (as well as an all-acoustic 5th Avenue non-cutaway) and I see it as a kind of hybrid of Gretsch and Gibson influences: exceptionally lightweight body woods (mine weighs just a tick over five pounds on the strap - about the same as a Seagull mini-jumbo acoustic and similar to the best vintage Brooklyn Gretsch 16" hollowbodies) give the tone more "air" and resonance than the more heavily-constructed/comparably-sized postwar Gibson ES-175/Epiphone Zephyr Regent and, while there's no mistake you've got P-90 pickups in there, the fact that they're slightly underwound (similar to some of the mid-50's examples) adds an appealing chime to the characteristic midrange tonality. Frankly, I bought mine on an Amazon Christmas Day flash sale in 2012 for just over $600, as a successor to the since-retired Gretsch Double Anniversary I bought brand-new in 1964 (this was just before the blacktop Filter'Tron and Super Hi-lo'Tron Korean-built 5400/5600-Series Electromatics hit the market), and while it doesn't sound exactly like either a Gretsch or Gibson it's a highly-versatile instrument that could serve credibly in a variety of stylistic situations short of death metal; FWIW Tony Bennett's guitarist used one on the road for a number of years - and I'd be inclined to think both he and his boss weren't about to make any sacrifices in terms of tone. I'll admit I've never played the humbucker version, nor am I particularly inclined to do so - I doubt they could really benefit from the resonance of that lightweight body in the same way P-90's can, and I suspect most players feel the same way as they're grossly outnumbered by the roginal P-90 version...

Good stuff, these prices aren't going to last forever, and if there's any way you could raise the cash it'd make an excellent complement, rather than a replacement, for your Jumbo...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-17-2024 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:48 PM

That's very helpful Steve.
The Gretsch ref's very apt ... I have a number with FT's and single coils, but was looking for a P90-equipped instrument to complement. Gretsch didn't have anything suitable.
I was looking for a deeper-body and more resonant construction than a semi-hollow 335-ish centre-block ... trapeze tail floating bridge maybe 175 or 295-ish ... looked at Heritage, d'Angelico ... but Godin's seemed decent value ... and found them to try and impressed ... the larger Jumbo appealed over the Kingpins. I also contemplated a significantly more expensive Eastman option ... perhaps for the future?
Old 06-17-2024, 04:59 PM

I've had the P90 version for about two years and have gotten a lot of fun from it both plugged in and unplugged. At that price, it's a no-brainer. I don't need an H/H right now but if I did I'd be thinking hard on it.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:50 PM

An excellent value.

I checked the Amazon price tracker (CamelCamelCamel) and they were available for $675 two months ago. The Amazon price fluctuates a bunch over time so it's good to view the price history and see what they will likely be on sale for in the near future.

Here's what the price history looks like for the last 12 months:

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-18-2024 at 01:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops