The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2021, 02:21 PM

Default Anyone else dropping out of Ebay?

The past few years I've been selling a lot of things on Ebay from our attic. I had a lot of old archtop guitar parts and such from my dad, and other misc stuff that is worth something to some people. Anyhow, Ebay has now stopped letting sellers use Paypal for receiving payment, and they want to get all sellers to link up their checking account to Ebay. I'm not willing to do this, and it's a real bummer. I am now trying to sell a few things on Bonanza, but the traffic there is a fraction of what Ebay gets.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:24 PM

I believe you have about 50 more days before those eBay policies are implemented. I'm going to keep going as long as they let me without using their payment platform. eBay wants too much personal info.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I think this golden age of guitars is coming to an end. Between the virous and actions like what eBay is doing are changing the way that guitar sales and resales are accomplished. Individuals are dropping out and only businesses are left. Taxes, shipping, bad customers and sellers along with the demand to get wrapped up in yet another convoluted system make it impossible to come out decently from a sale. Even though guitar stores don't have any inventory they won't give you anything for a guitar. All in all the industry has changed and won't be coming back like it was. IMO

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-19-2021, 04:30 PM

I sold one guitar on ebay, maybe 20 or more years ago. It turned out a guy that lived 30 miles from me bought it. I met him and did the transaction, so no shipping. I did sell a couple of amps on ebay, also about that long ago. They were solid state, no tubes, I shipped them and it was fine. I doubt I would even try, now.

I have a GC and a local shop that will give me 35% less than what they are going to try to sell the instrument for. If I am trading it in, they will also discount the new instrument / amp / whatever. At GC, if you catch something on sale, it is even a better deal. No fees. No shipping. No hassle. The don't want my bank account number. I have walked out of both shops with a check, and I have walked out of both shops with instruments acquired in a trade. I have never felt like they were treating me unfair on valuations. I don't have time, nor the desire, to go meet people I don't know from Craigslist to let them look at my stuff and maybe buy it or maybe not buy it, and I am certainly not letting people come to my house to look at it. I feel like selling on Ebay is almost the same hassle.

How many messages do you get on Ebay asking inane questions, or wanting to know if you will take payments over time, or if you will ship it to Bolivia? You have to baby sit the add for 7 or so days, wait for payment, figure out how to ship a bulky item, then hold your breath that they don't try to screw you with a damage claim or want to return it. In my scenario, I'm already playing my new guitar or have already cashed my check and am spending it on something else.

Last edited by loco gringo; 02-19-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I quit some time ago. Not guitars, but I used to buy and sell vintage motorcycle parts. But Ebay got so cluttered that it was a shot in the dark that anyone would find me, or me find them. So Facebook Marketplace came along and it had some potential, but it too has become cluttered.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 02-19-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:04 PM

Reverb.com s doing the same thing but I'm fine with it. They act as an escrow so funds don't get released until an item is shipped. I'm fine with that as a seller.
That's 1 more layer of protection for buyers that PayPal doesn't give.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
eBay wants too much personal info.
So, what else is new in the world?

I used to sell a lot of camera gear and the occasional music related stuff on evilbay, but stopped when they insisted on PayPal as the sole form of payment, way back in the century.

I haven't done anything, buying even, on the 'bay in many years. For my needs I have found different, better sources.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Rick, I like the way Reverb works, the only issue I find is that now that the government has made charging sales tax across state lines, mandatory... the buyers factor that in to the price and the seller is the one who loses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Reverb.com s doing the same thing but I'm fine with it. They act as an escrow so funds don't get released until an item is shipped. I'm fine with that as a seller.
That's 1 more layer of protection for buyers that PayPal doesn't give.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
I agree with Rick, I like the way Reverb works, the only issue I find is that now that the government has made charging sales tax across state lines, mandatory... the buyers factor that in to the price and the seller is the one who loses...
Price accordingly to account for the tax hit.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Well Paypal already has my info so they can move money in and out.

I dont see what the difference is by having eBay do it directly.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-20-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
eBay wants too much personal info.
So, what else is new in the world?
Quote:
Well Paypal already has my info so they can move money in and out.
I dont see what the difference is by having eBay do it directly.
What's new and differrent about eBay is that they now want your Social Security number. Since they already have your bank account access and your credit card number, adding your SSN is a PERFECT recipe for hackers, scammers, and identity theives. Not getting mine.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I did a little reading :

It is not eBay requiring this, it is the IRS so they can report taxes on sales.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-21-2021, 07:05 AM
Musical minimalist

I buy some small things on Ebay once in a while but haven't sold there in years.

My online purchases for music will be very limited in the future. I have everything I could possibly need.

The account I have attached to anything on the internet is kept with less than 500.00 in it as a precaution.

When my work years are over (which may be sooner than later) I'll do my best to rid myself of the internet.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdnh View Post
Ebay has now stopped letting sellers use Paypal for receiving payment, and they want to get all sellers to link up their checking account to Ebay.
Well, that's the same thing paypal did. Nevertheless, I'm not a fan of ebay, although it's pretty much the only game in town (i.e., the world).

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Price accordingly to account for the tax hit.
The buyer pays the sales tax, not the seller... so the buyer factors that in to the price they're willing to pay for an item..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic