The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2021, 01:12 PM

Certainly wishing him the best recovery possible.

As an avid golfer (who is now on the Legends tour) it’s been remarkable to see his talents over the years. I still consider Nicklaus the greatest ever, but Tiger changed the game for professionals and amateurs alike. He has fought his personal demons it seems and I’m always a fan of redemption.

Unknown if he will play competitive golf again but, as I told my wife last night, should he not return to the big stage, his last competitive round was a win with his young son Charlie. Not a bad way to end a career if that’s his future.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:09 PM

Saw some aerial footage. Gonna be lots of "How?" questions.

The good news for Tiger fans, and I can't imagine how anyone could be rooting against him, is that it's lower leg. If his knees weren't torn up and his femurs are intact, he stands a very good chance of coming back. Femurs are a game changer.

He very possibly could come back if he wants to. Rehab has to happen anyway. But stepping back into that life? Lots of garbage comes with it.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

It’s been reported that Tiger greatly admired Ben Hogan for coming back to achieve major victories after serious injuries suffered from a car accident. Tiger is 10 years older than Hogan was, but with all the modern medical/therapy he can avail himself to, and if it’s true that his injuries are limited to his lower leg(s), I bet that Hogan’s legacy will be a big motivation to make Tiger muster his best effort for a comeback. I hope he’ll be able.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It’s been reported that Tiger greatly admired Ben Hogan for coming back to achieve major victories after serious injuries suffered from a car accident. Tiger is 10 years older than Hogan was, but with all the modern medical/therapy he can avail himself to, and if it’s true that his injuries are limited to his lower leg(s), I bet that Hogan’s legacy will be a big motivation to make Tiger muster his best effort for a comeback. I hope he’ll be able.
+1. I truly believe that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

As an avid golfer (who is now on the Legends tour) ….
Sorry, this can't pass without comment.
Do we have a real golfer among us on the AGF? That's terrific!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-24-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Saw some aerial footage. Gonna be lots of "How?" questions.

The good news for Tiger fans, and I can't imagine how anyone could be rooting against him, is that it's lower leg. If his knees weren't torn up and his femurs are intact, he stands a very good chance of coming back. Femurs are a game changer.

He very possibly could come back if he wants to.
Rehab has to happen anyway. But stepping back into that life? Lots of garbage comes with it.
I’m certainly hoping Tiger can come back. We will just have to wait and see about his recovery. There are many things that could complicate the picture..
Not the least of these is that he has had serious problems with his back, and had a discectomy not that long ago. An accident like this certainly won’t help his back.

Praying for the best.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:02 PM

If he can "make it back" , which is tough enough, there's another little problem ahead. He'll have to walk the course just like that player a couple years ago with a physical problem, that was denied a cart. Walking a golf course 4 days in a row is a test of stamina itself.

Fog
Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I don't know. Alex Smith had the compound shin fracture and he almost lost his leg. He came back but he still doesn't look good.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-24-2021, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I don't know. Alex Smith had the compound shin fracture and he almost lost his leg. He came back but he still doesn't look good.
Yeah, didn't he have a serious infection? Seems like he developed sepsis.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Certainly wishing him the best recovery possible.

As an avid golfer (who is now on the Legends tour) it’s been remarkable to see his talents over the years. I still consider Nicklaus the greatest ever, but Tiger changed the game for professionals and amateurs alike. He has fought his personal demons it seems and I’m always a fan of redemption.

Unknown if he will play competitive golf again but, as I told my wife last night, should he not return to the big stage, his last competitive round was a win with his young son Charlie. Not a bad way to end a career if that’s his future.
From what I've read so far I would be very surprised if was able to return to the PGA in a competitive manner after this. To me, watching Tiger play with is son at the PNC was the best, not a bad way to go out at all. The kid clearly has talent. Athletes and other celebs almost live in a parallel universe compared to us regular folks, much of it I don't envy. Hopefully he can navigate some of the pitfalls his dad has dealt with.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Sorry, this can't pass without comment.
Do we have a real golfer among us on the AGF? That's terrific!
Oh my gosh....my bad. Should have been clearer. I am old enough to qualify for the Legends tour. I don’t have the game though. Not now, not ever.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-25-2021 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:43 AM

I grew up with Scotty Cameron...does that count?

scott
Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Tiger's lower back is shot. The amount of damage to his right leg means it will never be the same and the new mechanics of walking and standing will always be an irritant to his back. I think the best possible outcome here would be his being able to enjoy playing golf with his son.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Tiger's lower back is shot. The amount of damage to his right leg means it will never be the same and the new mechanics of walking and standing will always be an irritant to his back. I think the best possible outcome here would be his being able to enjoy playing golf with his son.
I’m afraid I have to agree. The key term in the injury description was “Comminuted”. The injury doesn’t equate to either the Alex Smith or Ben Hogan situation. He’d need a miracle ankle to recover from this.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 AM

Agree that he's probably going to be happy if he can simply walk unaided and play an occasional round with his kids.

He's got a lot of rehab ahead of him, not to mention how the back is going to hold up down the road.

I'm picking Spieth to win the Masters this year. Wouldn't that be something!

scott
Old 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

None of us know the full details of Tiger's injuries. And I will never doubt Tiger's will and drive. Having said that, what I have read doesn't sound encouraging to me (I've been a physical therapist for 30 years). Yes, Alex Smith ultimately made it back (after an unbelievably long road of surgeries and rehab). But I don't believe Alex had the extent of foot and ankle damage that it appears Tiger has. So much of Tiger's potential recovery will depend on what happened in that ankle and foot.

I have a good friend who was an athletic trainer at Stanford when Tiger was a student there, and only has good things to say about his personality and character (at least when he was a 19 year old kid). I wish him well. It will be a long and difficult road for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic