The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-02-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
That's interesting, sounds pretty much what I found after some trial and error, keep the finger straighter so the nail ( or the pick in my case) pushes down on the string instead of playing with more curled fingers that result in the string being 'snatched' which slows it all down as the playing tip can't easily roll off the string.
It's that and the fact that the muscles controlling that first joint seem to be a lot more effective at fast / repetitive motions.
I know if I make more of a claw with my hand just in space and try to move the fingernail using the last joint before the nail vs straight finger the claw technique feels more bound up and less precise.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It's that and the fact that the muscles controlling that first joint seem to be a lot more effective at fast / repetitive motions.
I know if I make more of a claw with my hand just in space and try to move the fingernail using the last joint before the nail vs straight finger the claw technique feels more bound up and less precise.
Yes very true, leads to a bit of conflict though in playing Irish jigs as it would be nice to dampen the bass strings with the palm but that isn't possible while keeping fingers uncurled, I may have to cheat and solve that problem by using old 5th and 6th strings.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If you are just doing some run on the upper strings you often can steady your hand with the thumb on a base string. Wrist bounce is one factor that can slow you down.
No for the particular piece that needed speeding up it is all picking back and forth accross the strings while holding simple chords.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No for the particular piece that needed speeding up it is all picking back and forth accross the strings while holding simple chords.
Got video of someone playing it or a tab?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm still trying to find the right contortions to move my body in to make this work so I'll caveat with that.

But I'm currently trying to find a position that also lets my hand go a little more parallel to the strings with the fingers stretched out which would still allow palm muting and bring the thumb a little more towards the bridge for the bass strings
Quote:
Yes very true, leads to a bit of conflict though in playing Irish jigs as it would be nice to dampen the bass strings with the palm but that isn't possible while keeping fingers uncurled, I may have to cheat and solve that problem by using old 5th and 6th strings.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Got video of someone playing it or a tab?
Not the way I play it, but it seems sorted now, I'll post a recording sometime soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical