The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I'm afraid it's not pure nickel. It's an alloy. Very similar to, if not identical to, some formulas of fret material.
Right, it's copper, zinc, and nickel! And in my opinion sounds closer to brass than steel. And funny enough, has no silver in it
Old 01-19-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I'm open to all options: steel, brass, German silver and wood. I have a lot of time to research, hopefully play more and finally decide.
For the amount of money a good National would cost, I would definitely go play every one you can get your hands on. There is HUGE difference in sound between the materials they use on Tricones. While you're at it, try out a wood bodied Spider bridge if you can, as I think they are the best of the National wood bodied instruments. I personally don't like wood bodied single cones and tricones, they seem like a compromise instrument to me.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid it's not pure nickel. It's an alloy. Very similar to, if not identical to, some formulas of fret material. They are nickel plated. I have a '32 square-neck, and there are places where the plating is near gone.
Thanks!

I obviously simplified the description. I meant to point out only that the nickel-plated brass guitars a quite different from the “German silver” guitars.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:16 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
For the amount of money a good National would cost, I would definitely go play every one you can get your hands on. There is HUGE difference in sound between the materials they use on Tricones. While you're at it, try out a wood bodied Spider bridge if you can, as I think they are the best of the National wood bodied instruments. I personally don't like wood bodied single cones and tricones, they seem like a compromise instrument to me.
I have played quite a few Nationals over the years but sadly the only dealer nearby is the Twelfth Fret in Toronto which is a five hour drive one way and plus we're in lockdown. So it remains a long term goal to get there again and run through the National racks a few times over.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I have played quite a few Nationals over the years but sadly the only dealer nearby is the Twelfth Fret in Toronto which is a five hour drive one way and plus we're in lockdown. So it remains a long term goal to get there again and run through the National racks a few times over.
I know you're not ready yet

But if/when you are I'm not convinced one needs to have a specific model in mind before shopping. Narrowed down, yes. Tricone vs. biscuit vs. spider (don't forget this is partially a question of scale length), brass vs. steel, etc. is a good idea. But be open-minded other than that. It's like getting a first electric. "Well I got a tele. It's the right one, and I'll never question if it does everything I need..."

Have at least $2000 banked and make a list of instruments "you would be happy with". Search every other day. Guitar Center Used instruments, Reverb, Ebay. The usual suspects. Be aware of what they have been selling for. When you see the deal that is too good to resist, pounce. A used style O might be $1,750 to $2,200, but a used style N might be $1,400. Forgive me if my numbers are out of date The only difference is no hawaiian design. If you search Style Os that's what you'll find. If you search brass single-cone and are okay with a plain body...

Other than a steel reso-rocket, which I feel is the WORST choice for a first reso (It's absolutely brutally aggressive), any quality reso will teach you a ton, and learning how to get the most out of it will make you a better player!

This approach is how I scored my Brass Tricone Baritone. I wasn't looking for one. I was looking a brass tricone (this was before I got the German Silver). It just showed up, I had a "National Fund", I made an offer, and it was accepted. It was before baritones were so easy to get from so many factory makers so it sat a while and I got a great price. It is a mind-blowing guitar, and I never would have considered it if I wasn't open minded.

Oh and it also kind of proved the point about people buying and not playing Nationals. The second string nut slot was cut too shallow. I had to work on it before it was what I considered "playable". that one string was crazy high and affected both fretting and slide!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:41 PM

My M1 is the most played of my Nationals,I wouldn´t say it is the best but being much lighter then the metal ones allows for much longer sessions
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 01-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I have owned as few single cones and tricones. I ended up deciding that I prefer the wooden body ones. However if $$ was not an issue I would have one of each. In my experience there is a lot going on harmonically with resonator guitars. This can be missed if you just play aggressively on a single cone. The tri cones and single cones have an incredible dynamic range and with the tricones especially there is a very rich sound that can be explored.

When you are ready to pull the trigger watch all the classified listings for used instruments. There are many good bargains to be found if you are diligent and patient.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I have owned as few single cones and tricones. I ended up deciding that I prefer the wooden body ones. However if $$ was not an issue I would have one of each. .
Mostly the same, but like you I've developed preferences. So much so that I "only" want 2 or 3 more than I have

If you're thinking about my birthday that would be a Trovador, a wooden tricone, and a reso to be named later...
Old 01-24-2021, 04:24 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
a wooden tricone
I've been staring long and hard at this: https://www.12fret.com/instruments/n...one-wood-body/
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 AM
Guest 33123

I'll be in the vicinity of the Twelfth Fret for a bit in May so my wife is encouraging me to drop by and play all the tricones they have in stock. I warned her that one may wind up following me home if I do that and she's fine with it. And oh yeah she's insisting I buy a shiny one lol.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And oh yeah she's insisting I buy a shiny one lol.
Treat it like a child with a puppy. Ask her "Are you going to clean and polish it? Somebody will have to clean and polish it!"

Sounds like a fun sortie! I don't really have a guitar store bucketlist, but I feel I'd have to go to the 12th Fret if I was anywhere nearby.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Treat it like a child with a puppy. Ask her "Are you going to clean and polish it? Somebody will have to clean and polish it!"
Lol too funny. As a parent I know what that experience is like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments