The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Small Stage Monitor for Acoustic Guitar

Hi,

I occasionally play small solo acoustic gigs. Have a very simple setup that uses a Fishman Loudbox Artist as the PA for 1 acoustic guitar and 1 mic. I also have a Kustom KPM4 powered monitor on a mic stand (to my left side) which I use as a vocal monitor (using the XLR
"MIC" in and "thru" send (to Fishman Loudbox). Would like to have a 2nd, similar small powered monitor for my acoustic guitar. Can I get a 2nd KPM4 for this or another small, inexpensive monitor? I may be missing something, but to me the KPM4 only has "thru" for XLR MIC (not 1/4" guitar). Would appreciate guidance on adding a guitar monitor for this setup.

THANKS!
Old 01-18-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi,

I occasionally play small solo acoustic gigs. Have a very simple setup that uses a Fishman Loudbox Artist as the PA for 1 acoustic guitar and 1 mic. I also have a Kustom KPM4 powered monitor on a mic stand (to my left side) which I use as a vocal monitor (using the XLR
"MIC" in and "thru" send (to Fishman Loudbox). Would like to have a 2nd, similar small powered monitor for my acoustic guitar. Can I get a 2nd KPM4 for this or another small, inexpensive monitor? I may be missing something, but to me the KPM4 only has "thru" for XLR MIC (not 1/4" guitar). Would appreciate guidance on adding a guitar monitor for this setup.

THANKS!
I had a couple of those KPM4’s. I thought they sounded pretty good for what they are. I believe you could get an adapter to convert your 1/4” to XLR which raised the output quite a lot and to give you that thruput. I’m not 100% sure about that so I hope someone else can chime in to verify that for you.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 01-19-2020, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

You should be able to get both guitar and voice in your monitor simply by setting up both mic and guitar through the Artist sounding the way you want... and then taking the main DI out back to your monitors input... a balanced xlr to the balanced xlr input on the Kustom...

Unless you really WANT to get another monitor...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
You should be able to get both guitar and voice in your monitor simply by setting up both mic and guitar through the Artist sounding the way you want... and then taking the main DI out back to your monitors input... a balanced xlr to the balanced xlr input on the Kustom...

^^^^^ This! just watch out for feedback as you won't have a monitor feed this way but just a separate feed of your mains. You're already doing this for vocals where you're more likely to get feedback so go ahead and try it.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
^^^^^ This! just watch out for feedback as you won't have a monitor feed this way but just a separate feed of your mains. You're already doing this for vocals where you're more likely to get feedback so go ahead and try it.
What's the difference between a monitor feed and just a separate feed of the mains?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

A monitor feed is going to be adjustable for each channel's volume, and many times will have some sort of EQ capability... also, the monitor mix is generally "dry", that is, with no effects (one of the reasons I dislike monitors!)...

The feed from your mains will be as it sounds "out front", except you're running it through a tiny speaker...

Also, the main feed will be balanced (electronically, not aurally) while monitor feeds mat not be...

Both signals are line-level and perfect for "re-amplifying"... or recording, or whatever...
are near...

Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A monitor feed is going to be adjustable for each channel's volume, and many times will have some sort of EQ capability... also, the monitor mix is generally "dry", that is, with no effects (one of the reasons I dislike monitors!)...

The feed from your mains will be as it sounds "out front", except you're running it through a tiny speaker...

Also, the main feed will be balanced (electronically, not aurally) while monitor feeds mat not be...

Both signals are line-level and perfect for "re-amplifying"... or recording, or whatever...
That's very helpful, thank you.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Jseth (and others),

THANKS for the helpful input! I did what you suggested and it worked fine using the "Mix" DI to a single monitor, but I prefer to have separate monitors for vocals and guitar, so will likely get another KPM4. For me, my singing is better when I can hear the isolated vocal and adjust the volume as needed. And I can adjust volume on guitar monitor to my taste. With that as background I have another question -- if I use Channel 1 XLR DI for vocals and Channel 2 XLR DI (to the other monitor) for guitar, will this have ANY sound impact at all on the PA Main Out (using my Fishman Loudbox Artist as my PA) ? THANKS!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Using the DI outputs should not have any effect on the overall output of the amp... the DI outputs don't "take" power from the amp; they are only a "pre-amp" signal...

Just a suggestion; have you tried to position your amp in such a way that YOU can hear it, as well as your audience/room? When I use my AER Compact, I position the amp about 10' (approx) from me, and a bit behind me. I like to keep the amp on the "other" side, away from the body of my guitars (to minimize additional resonance and/or feedback). Of course, I make sure that my microphone is NOT pointed AT the amp...

When I do this, I can achieve higher volume levels without feedback, plus, with the amp "canted" slightly, I can be in the edge of the dispersion "cone" and hear myself and my guitar as the audience hears me... louder, but...
are near...

Old 01-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks JSeth,

Good idea but I really just need a couple of low volume monitors for my guitar and vocals. Hearing them makes me sing and play better. Just me I guess. Greatly appreciate your very helpful responses! THANKS again!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:00 PM

My Elite Acoustics D6-8 amp has an option to send the inputs of the first two inputs directly to the two XLR outs (instead of a stereo mix). This let's a guitarist/singer mix his/her own monitor mix without affecting the guitar and vocal he is sending to a soundperson. Several of the Elite Acoustics amps have this feature.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 AM

I use a Behringer B205D monitor. You can put you mic on top of it too. Doubles as a small acoustic amp and music player.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Thanks JSeth,

Good idea but I really just need a couple of low volume monitors for my guitar and vocals. Hearing them makes me sing and play better. Just me I guess. Greatly appreciate your very helpful responses! THANKS again!
Check this out new from Behringer:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...onitor-speaker
Old 01-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Just ordered that portable monitor.Thanks for the tip!

Gabe
Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Just ordered that portable monitor.Thanks for the tip!

Gabe
You’re welcome. That’s the best price I’ve seen and the Behringer monitors I’ve heard in the past have sounded good!

Also Carvin’s back with a limited line of speakers and has this (maybe a bit more SPL):
https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...-field-monitor

Again passive Carvin monitors I’ve used in the past have sounded great and I dig their powered mixers as well. Both would be solid affordable choices, and I’d choose those over Powerwerks/Kustom any day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification