The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Default The Bose S1 arrived today...

Here's a link to a post on the Carbon Fiber sub-forum on my first tests with the S1, and comparing it with the L1C...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...56#post5730556

Post #267

Synopsis: I am impressed with the capability of the S1. I like the reverb and the controls/connections with both channels.

My Play Acoustic started acting up (took a while to determine it was that and not the S1), so I switched it out for the TCH Gxt and kept checking out the sound of the S1. I did an A/B with the S1 and L1C with guitar and mic direct into each - I actually prefer the sound and adjustments with the S1.

BUT, run the S1 direct into the L1C, and that combination sounds really good! I found I preferred the sound of my Emerald X7 with a B-Band pickup with that channel set for "none" rather than guitar or mic. A rich, full acoustic sound.

I have been running a Fishman LBM after the Play Acoustic, then a direct line from that to the L1C - using the S1 in place of the LBM sounds even better to me.

Once I was done messing with it all, the set up is still just a couple minutes. Using the S1 instead of a T1 Tonematch isn't any more set up, and gives you a separate small PA for smaller situations.

I am really liking the S1!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM

I'm right behind you, my friend.
My S1 should arrive Friday, and I also have a Bose L1 to compare it to.

I'm surprised you sent the output of the S1 to the L1.
Was that just for a lark, or is your intention to gig with both and use the S1 as a monitor in front of you pointing at you?

Do you think it sounded better because the signal was stronger before it got to the L1 - or because you had more control, perhaps reverb?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tico,

I have been using a Fishman Loud Box Mini in the same way for about 5 years - I run the mic and guitar into the Play Acoustic or Gxt, then separate mic and guitar lines into the LBM (and now the S1); direct line out from the S1 to the L1C.

Yes, I like having the additional bass/treble controls on each channel as well as the reverb. It does boost the volume coming out of the L1C, as well. Pretty much the same thing as using a T1 Tonematch, except instead of the TM, you have another small PA.

I found when using the LBM with the L1C that it filled out the mids very nicely. The S1 does that, but even better.

Without reverb, the L1C is a bit dry for my tastes. I first added the TC Helicon Gxt pedal to the L1C for reverb and vocal harmonies; used it that way for a couple years. Then, added the LBM.

I have been eyeing the S1 since it came out, and the battery included was a selling point for me. When I bought the LoudBox Mini, I thought I might use that for smaller situations, but never did - the L1C is plenty easy to tote. Having the battery function of the S1 will be handy. I have had a few gigs where power wasn't available (dock party for boating groups), and have used a Roland Street Cube... it didn't sound great, but it got me by. The S1 will fill those odd occasions where I don't have power.

When you get your S1, after you play with it for a while, give it a try running a direct line out from that to your bigger Bose. On its own, the S1 is surprisingly good for as small as it is. Plugged into your L1, you can fill any odd spaces. No plan to use it as a monitor unless I am using a house sound system (rare). I have found my L1C used behind me and to the side eliminates a need for a monitor.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi Tico,

When you get your S1, after you play with it for a while, give it a try running a direct line out from that to your bigger Bose. On its own, the S1 is surprisingly good for as small as it is. Plugged into your L1, you can fill any odd spaces. No plan to use it as a monitor unless I am using a house sound system (rare).

I have found my L1C used behind me and to the side eliminates a need for a monitor.
I also find the Bose L1C makes for excellent near field monitoring without feedback. and I am hearing what the audience is hearing essentially. I haven't need a monitor because the highs are at head height.

I am intrigued by the Loudbox Mini Charge which has a battery, bluetooth and is less money than the S1 Pro. I primarily want a small home/room amplifier so I don't have to set up and tear down my Bose L1C all the time. I'd like a dedicated small room amp. Wondering what sounds more natural, the Bose S1 Pro or the Loudbox Mini (or LB Mini 'Charge' model)?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

My new S1 arrived on Friday and I worked with it in my studio for quite a while, trying the different settings with both my Martin OM-28 and Eastman AC-422ce, both equipped with K&K minis run with a RedEye pre-amp. I tried both the straight setting and the "guitar" setting and in both cases the guitar setting sounded just a bit better. However, had to crank the treble end to max with both guitars to get a decent amount of treble. My Eastman actually sounded better overall but this is an exceptionally good sounding Eastman so no surprises there. The reverb is the best and most natural sounding built-in reverb I've heard from any amp designed for acoustic guitar and vocals.

I will be using it at my regular Sunday morning cafe gig this morning and will report back. FWIW, I play finger style instrumentals at this gig when inside and as soon as it's warm enough to move outside to the deck I add vocals. Did try out a mic with the S1 and I liked the sound very much, using my Ear Trumpet mic. I do wish the S1 had phantom power; I think this is the only major drawback of the S1 Pro.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

....oh yeah, .... it did not come with the light fabric cover as in Aaron's review in a previous thread. Did have the battery installed of course as this is now standard with the S1 Pro. But Aaron's had both the battery and cover included. Wish I had the cover as it will be raining this morning when I go to my gig. I bought mine from Sweetwater and when they call for a report as they always do with every purchase I will mention this. I guess if I have to buy a cover I will. Not interested in the optional backpack, just the lighter cover.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
....oh yeah, .... it did not come with the light fabric cover as in Aaron's review in a previous thread. Did have the battery installed of course as this is now standard with the S1 Pro. But Aaron's had both the battery and cover included. Wish I had the cover as it will be raining this morning when I go to my gig. I bought mine from Sweetwater and when they call for a report as they always do with every purchase I will mention this. I guess if I have to buy a cover I will. Not interested in the optional backpack, just the lighter cover.
Same here-mine arrived yesterday and was just as you described. I too am hoping the cover is available just to keep it from getting too beat up in transit.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

So they now include the battery but no cover? The cover is pretty useless. It they should have improved it rather than remove it. It would be cool if it was slightly thicker but could still fit into the backpack for added protection.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I also find the Bose L1C makes for excellent near field monitoring without feedback. and I am hearing what the audience is hearing essentially. I haven't need a monitor because the highs are at head height.

I am intrigued by the Loudbox Mini Charge which has a battery, bluetooth and is less money than the S1 Pro. I primarily want a small home/room amplifier so I don't have to set up and tear down my Bose L1C all the time. I'd like a dedicated small room amp. Wondering what sounds more natural, the Bose S1 Pro or the Loudbox Mini (or LB Mini 'Charge' model)?
I have been using a Loudbox Mini for about 5 years; I haven't tried the LBM Charge, but I assume they have the same sound, with the addition of the battery on the Charge. That being the case, I prefer the sound of the S1, but they are close. The LBM has a Mid control and chorus on the guitar channel and a master volume. It does not have the combo jacks on both channels. Seems to be a better spread from the S1. Five years ago, the LBM surprised me on how competent a small amp could be, especially for the price. The S1, even more so... but, for full disclosure, I do like the Bose sound. I had been using the LBM with a direct line out to my Bose L1C; I am using the S1 in that same way currently.

Like others who posted here, my S1 did not come with a cover. I think this was a step backwards for Bose. While the cover didn't get great reviews, it is better than nothing. I did take a survey on the Bose Pro Forum regarding a "sleeve" for the S1 - not to be confused for a cover, this sounds like something you can put over the S1 and still play through it. Yeah, I'd rather have a cover.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just wrapped up my Sunday morning cafe gig and I love the S1 Pro!!! My fears about not enough treble were unfounded. It was set up very close to me on a speaker stand, slightly behind me. No problems with feedback and I could hear it clearly, which is nice as I use the Boss acoustic rhythm box on a few tunes and not being able to hear it leads to some embarrassing rhythm boo-boos on my part sometimes. This, in spite of having a table of six VERY VERY loud cackling women right in front of me. If I had a small trophy I would have given it to them for being the loudest table EVER in my seven years of playing this gig. I did not succumb to the temptation of turning up because I was pretty sure those who did want to listen could hear me OK - a product of the excellent sound dispersion from the Bose. Now to figure out what the heck to do about a cover....
Old 05-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
having a table of six VERY VERY loud cackling women right in front of me. If I had a small trophy I would have given it to them for being the loudest table EVER in my seven years of playing this gig. I did not succumb to the temptation of turning up because I was pretty sure those who did want to listen could hear me OK - a product of the excellent sound dispersion from the Bose. Now to figure out what the heck to do about a cover....
Hhaha, I play in farmers markets. BIG tables full of families yelling and barking right beside me, so clueless. Its not just me.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Thought I'd add to the string with praise for the S1. Mine arrived yesterday and I spent a little time dialing in my vocals and guitar plugged straight into it at my house before our gig. We played at a local general store that has music on weekends (see the Olivesburg General Store FB page for a FB live video of last night). The room is probably 50 X 50 with half of it covered by a counter where ice cream, sandwiches pizza and other items are sold.

We had about 30 people listening and talking but the noise level was just slightly above the conversation level. It set the S1 on a window seat to my right, angled up with my Larrivee L 03 with an Anthem SL and my vocal mike (Sennheiser 835) plugged straight into it. The tonematch for each channel was set for the guitar and vocal mike respectively. I added a bit of bass and reverb to the guitar, similarly to the vocals compared to the settings I had at home. I didn't see anyone having to 'lean in' or shout to be heard so assume our volume level was good.

Volume was at around 1 o'clock for the guitar, 3 o'clock for the vocals. It sounded great-so much rich sound from this little wonder! I also ran my mandolin with an Xvive wireless system into the aux in with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. it worked great and it was fun to walk around out front during songs when I'm only playing instrumental fills. I considered just switching the mandolin on the guitar channel, but the K & K pickups in it are pretty hot so the signal differences between pickups precluded this idea.

My playing partner initially reacted that the S1 was too loud. However after having him walk the room while I played and checking with one of our regulars as we both played he realized that volume wasn't the change. He could hear my vocals and guitar much more clearly standing to my left than he ever has with my Loudbox Artist behind us.

I was well able to keep up with his Loudbox mini throughout a two hour set and got compliments from listeners about the sound. I ran the S1 on battery and it still retains about 60% of the charge (based on the three 'blinks' of the battery check feature I got when I checked).

I must confess to having brought my LB Artist along and left it in the trunk "just in case' this seemingly little speaker was not enough for the gig. However, as with other Bose PAs I found that I got great dispersion and projection at lower volumes than I've achieved with the LB Artist.

In short, I'm delighted with this technology that performed flawlessly. I'm looking forward to using it for some potential farmer's market gigs we have considered and busking a bit over the summer.

I'm happy to answer questions anyone may have about my experience but consider me a fan of the S1 pro for the small gigs we play!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification