The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Default XLR instrument output

Doug or James, what is the best way to use the ToneDexter with an instrument that has an XLR jack only?

I'm asking for a friend who has a specialty multi-stringed instrument made by Fred Carlson.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Doug or James, what is the best way to use the ToneDexter with an instrument that has an XLR jack only?

I'm asking for a friend who has a specialty multi-stringed instrument made by Fred Carlson.
Should be just a matter of adapting the XLR wiring to a standard 1/4" plug. Feel free to email me with details if more assistance needed.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 06-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Should be just a matter of adapting the XLR wiring to a standard 1/4" plug. Feel free to email me with details if more assistance needed.
Thanks, James - I'll pass this along.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Just wondering if more of you have had a chance to try the new Tonedexter? The initial reports seemed good but it would be nice to get some more input. I still can't order one but it's definitely on my radar.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:21 AM

It's a very very good system, and provides enhancements that previously you would expect to be in a studio to hear. I had one kindly shipped via a 3rd party to me here in Europe, and it lives up to the reputation it has developed.

Sadly, it doesn't lend itself to fit into my multi pick up live rig - which is more of a criticism of the way I do things rather than any fault of the ToneDexter - so whilst I remain a huge fan of the product, I've actually made mine available on the classified section of this site.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
It's a very very good system, and provides enhancements that previously you would expect to be in a studio to hear. I had one kindly shipped via a 3rd party to me here in Europe, and it lives up to the reputation it has developed.

Sadly, it doesn't lend itself to fit into my multi pick up live rig - which is more of a criticism of the way I do things rather than any fault of the ToneDexter - so whilst I remain a huge fan of the product, I've actually made mine available on the classified section of this site.
Thanks for the input! That's my problem as well, I feel like I am finally happy with my board set up, which is based around the Grace Design Felix preamp/DI. I am not 100% happy with my pickup in my acoustic though, which is why the tonedexter still appeals to me.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Thanks for the input! That's my problem as well, I feel like I am finally happy with my board set up, which is based around the Grace Design Felix preamp/DI. I am not 100% happy with my pickup in my acoustic though, which is why the tonedexter still appeals to me.
Sounds like a very similar set up - I also use the Felix...! Which pickup(s) are you using?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a very similar set up - I also use the Felix...! Which pickup(s) are you using?
At the moment I have the Anthem SL in my Taylor, a Headway pickup in my Octave Mandolin and then the Godin A8 mandolin with individual RMC transducers for each string. The mandolin sounds great and the Octave Mandolin might have the best amplified tone I have heard. It makes my OM sound huge..very impressed with Headway.

The Anthem SL is okay but it always sound thin and hollow. I am planning to put the Amulet M into that guitar this week. What about you?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if more of you have had a chance to try the new Tonedexter? The initial reports seemed good but it would be nice to get some more input. I still can't order one but it's definitely on my radar.
I still like what it does, but the inability to switch between wavemaps with a footswitch has sent me back to my more conventional pedalboard for now.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
At the moment I have the Anthem SL in my Taylor, a Headway pickup in my Octave Mandolin and then the Godin A8 mandolin with individual RMC transducers for each string. The mandolin sounds great and the Octave Mandolin might have the best amplified tone I have heard. It makes my OM sound huge..very impressed with Headway.

The Anthem SL is okay but it always sound thin and hollow. I am planning to put the Amulet M into that guitar this week. What about you?
I've tried the Anthem SL - it has seome serious flaws in my humble opinion, but I know a lot of players love it. Certainly didn't work for me.

I've currently got a Baggs Element in conjunction with a K&K Pure, supplemented by a DiMarzio Black Angel, which unfortunately has the cable hanging out of the soundhole, which I hate. However, later this week I'm heading off to a well known luthier to try the Baggs Dual Source on board blender but driving it with a K&K Pure plus the built in mic - and then adding the Dimarzio to the spare channel (by running it in mono). That should tidy things up somewhat, give me a nice control over the overall sound plus it will mean I only have two sources arriving into the Felix. (The internal mic of the Dual Source and the K&K will be blended onboard into one channel on the tip, and the DiMarzio wil connect to the ring). I have high hopes for this combo.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I still like what it does, but the inability to switch between wavemaps with a footswitch has sent me back to my more conventional pedalboard for now.
That's a flaw for sure and would definitely make it an issue for me.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I've tried the Anthem SL - it has seome serious flaws in my humble opinion, but I know a lot of players love it. Certainly didn't work for me.

I've currently got a Baggs Element in conjunction with a K&K Pure, supplemented by a DiMarzio Black Angel, which unfortunately has the cable hanging out of the soundhole, which I hate. However, later this week I'm heading off to a well known luthier to try the Baggs Dual Source on board blender but driving it with a K&K Pure plus the built in mic - and then adding the Dimarzio to the spare channel (by running it in mono). That should tidy things up somewhat, give me a nice control over the overall sound plus it will mean I only have two sources arriving into the Felix. (The internal mic of the Dual Source and the K&K will be blended onboard into one channel on the tip, and the DiMarzio wil connect to the ring). I have high hopes for this combo.
I have come to realize that I like a warmer sounding acoustic. It still needs to cut through but the Lyric and Anthem were just to shrill for me. The Element/K&K set up is something I had thought of trying a few years ago but never got around to it. I have the B-Band A2.2 XOM lying around which is the same basic set up. I should give it a try since it's such an easy installation.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I have come to realize that I like a warmer sounding acoustic. It still needs to cut through but the Lyric and Anthem were just to shrill for me. The Element/K&K set up is something I had thought of trying a few years ago but never got around to it. I have the B-Band A2.2 XOM lying around which is the same basic set up. I should give it a try since it's such an easy installation.

I just swapped out the JJB in my main guitar for that B-Band.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I just swapped out the JJB in my main guitar for that B-Band.
What are your thoughts on it? Was it a pretty easy install? I believe the UST portion is fairly thin so it probably won't impact the unplugged tone much.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
What are your thoughts on it? Was it a pretty easy install? I believe the UST portion is fairly thin so it probably won't impact the unplugged tone much.

This is actually the second one I've installed. The first I had to yank because it was picking up RF interference and making my guitar kind of unusable.

I think it was a Chinese fake, though, so I grabbed a

I love the sound, though.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification