The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Default $99 are you kidding me?

This is no lp standard but...really? I couldn't resist. I love my custom tele, my mainstay with a Seymour hummer in the neck but jonesin for a lp and Ive no guitar money for a while. With a nice setup, how can I go wrong? Thoughts? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-guitar/j07391
Old 12-26-2015, 06:25 PM

If you can handle the neck - a thick, chunky, broad-shouldered D-shape that has no connection whatsoever to the early-60s "Slim Taper" after which it's named - it'll make a good beater; FWIW I was at a Jay & the Americans concert in 2009 and they gave one of these away to a lucky ticketholder...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM

I have a knack for adjusting to various guitars. I'm not fast, more bluesy rock. For a hundred bucks shipped to my door I should have some fun with it
Old 12-26-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
I have a knack for adjusting to various guitars. I'm not fast, more bluesy rock. For a hundred bucks shipped to my door I should have some fun with it
Yah... If somebody can't have fun with that, they're standards are WAAAAAAAAY above mine...
Old 12-27-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Adjusting guitars is fun. Let's hope you don't have to adjust this one too much . Are you planning anything specific, such as a pickup swap?

I just checked the link, item is currently unavailable.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM

If the guitar is solid and comfortable, how about a couple of burstbucker pros? Solid hog and rosewood board. That could be a little crazy for this china doll but some better hardware could be in order. Ive shipped guitars costing $99, Its really incredible. I've no visions of grandeur, just a guitar nut. Between acoustics, electrics, mandos, guitar repair, teaching lessons, family, job and life this is one busy guitar player. Ive got a ways to go in the electric world.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:56 PM

off topic, i know, but I played an acoustic Artistic Epi Hummingbird at GC today and wow - it was going for 99 beans with a huge dent in the lower bout, and it still sounded better than the three J45s I played at Sam Ash the day before...

all hog made in Indonesia...

Last edited by bitraker; 12-27-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitraker View Post
off topic, i know, but I played an acoustic Artistic Epi Hummingbird at GC today and wow - it was going for 99 beans with a huge dent in the lower bout, and it still sounded better than the three J45s I played at Sam Ash the day before...

all hog made in Indonesia...
Fantastic guitars for the money!

I sold mine to fund my dream of owning a Martin but I really loved my Epiphone Hummingbird when I had her.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
If the guitar is solid and comfortable, how about a couple of burstbucker pros? Solid hog and rosewood board. That could be a little crazy for this china doll but some better hardware could be in order. Ive shipped guitars costing $99, Its really incredible. I've no visions of grandeur, just a guitar nut. Between acoustics, electrics, mandos, guitar repair, teaching lessons, family, job and life this is one busy guitar player. Ive got a ways to go in the electric world.
It will need some work on the intonation. Action will probably be a wee bit on the high side. Just basic setup stuff in my experience with these. Tuners are ok, may need some tightening. Shielding the body cavities and a general setup go a long way here. Fun guitar for the cost.of a night out. You will enjoy it.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the shielding, I'll pay attention to that, lots of info on line.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:22 AM

Nope. For me, a Les Paul, by definition, has a set neck for more sustain.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Wade, go for it. I had one and had a ball with it, and for under $100!

Mine didn't have much output, but that was ok in the house. It actually sounded better than more expensive guitars for playing slide. It had a gritty tone that really worked with a glass slide.

A young coworker, and new father, mentioned that he used to play, but sold his guitar when money got tight. The LP and an iRig now belong to him...and a glass slide
Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 PM

Wont get it for a few weeks or so, they were on back order but I'll post my findings for those interested. Generally I agree you get what you pay for with guitars, electrics seem to have more dependency on quality PUs and amps. My American Tele plays and sound so much better than that dog china squire my original electric 15 years ago. I hated that thing. Now I hear some squires are quite nice. I'm not a shredder or even classic rock per say, I imagine Bonamossa could pull a $150 Epi right out of the box and sound better than I'll ever be. Good gear makes me sound better than I really am though.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Wont get it for a few weeks or so, they were on back order but I'll post my findings for those interested. Generally I agree you get what you pay for with guitars, electrics seem to have more dependency on quality PUs and amps. My American Tele plays and sound so much better than that dog china squire my original electric 15 years ago. I hated that thing. Now I hear some squires are quite nice. I'm not a shredder or even classic rock per say, I imagine Bonamossa could pull a $150 Epi right out of the box and sound better than I'll ever be. Good gear makes me sound better than I really am though.
Same here. I think Joe could play just about anything. I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul gold top Bonamassa model a few months ago at our local shop. It's comes stock with US electronics (burstbuckers), although I put a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge. Great, fun guitar.

Let us know when you get in the Epi.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Nope. For me, a Les Paul, by definition, has a set neck for more sustain.
The myth of set neck sustain was dispelled years ago. When somebody got round to doing a properly set up test bolt-ons were better in this department.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars